I Phone help?

Jacko4130

Goodie Gum Drops
Reaction score
Looking into getting a I Phone, just wondered if anyone has used/has one?

wondered about wifi hotspots and if all functions will be of use when say at home or in a forest as i'm in most days, had a play on one in the O2 shop today and love it to bits just dont want a a gaget that only works when i'm in town etc

Any comments welcome

I have had the iPhone since it's launch in November and I am over the moon with it. As long as you have a signal you will be able to use it for Internet and email as well as making/receiving a call.

Basically the phone uses the following for data access

WiFi - Fastest
Edge
GPRS - Slowest

It will automatically switch to the fastest service available at the time.

WiFi can be your own wireless network at home/work or any of the Cloud or public WiFi hotspots. (All McDonalds now offer free WiFi). This option is the quickest access but is not often available if not in large Towns etc.

Edge - This is o2's cellular network high speed connection. Quite common in most areas now. I even get Edge connection in rural Lincolnshire. While this is not as fast as 3G it uses significantly less battery power and in real world terms offers performance close to 3G.

The fallback service is standard GPRS which will always be available if you can make or receive a call. Not particularly quick but does work if you absolutely need Internet access on the move. It's fine for email anyway and still way faster that WAP.

To access youTube movies on the iPhone you need at least an Edge connection and to access the iTune store you need a WiFi connection. Everything else will work with only a GPRS connection.

I wouldn't be without my iPhone now and find it most useful for emails on the move. I had a Blackberry before the iPhone and it didn't even come close to the ease of use of the Iphone. If you use a .Mac account you can use push technology to actually have the email delivered in real time. Otherwise you can set the phone to collect emails every so often. I have mine set for every 15 mins.

Apple has increased the usage limit on all monthly access plans recently. I get 1200 mins, 500 text and most importantly, unlimited data for £45 a month.

The iPhone does have a few limitations in some areas but the positives far outway the negatives.

Negatives:
Camera is a bit crap - 2M pixel - no zoom and no video capture.
Can't forward SMS to another number.
Can't send anything to another phone via Bluetooth.
No Flash or Java plugins for Safari browser.

Positives:
Visual voicemail
Unlimited data
Safari browser to view any website.
Multiple email collection via POP3 or IMAP
Now fully customisable interface
Excellent contact management system Syncs with iCal & Address book
Can buy music directly from the phone via iTunes store
Monitor stock portfolio with only 20min delay.
Google Maps and triangulation to pinpoint you current location.
Built in iPod Touch
Now available with 16GB memory.
SDK launching in February so third party application will soon be available for pretty much everything.
Runs Mac OS X operating system.
Pairs perfectly with Audi Bluetooth.

Thats just some of the things I like about the phone.

Go buy one - you wont regret it.

Nice one, thats sealed it for me then, will be getting one as soon as i can.

I am happy with mine as well I just did not managed to couple it with my car Bluetooth pnhe prep... Using the old Nokia for that...

Pedro

I personally think they are gimmicky *****, bit like the Ipod, there are much better versions of the same product but people go for the Iphone or the Ipod because marketing tell them its cool when really its just an overpriced alternative to a better product. All aboard, the bandwagon.

well some might buy it as a gimmick *****... for me has everything I would want, phone, ipod, internet browser, email... and you can't beat the interface.

I can't see a better all-in-one product... for me it is the package that is great.

Pedro

Each one yo its own, though

They should've included photo messaging, ability to bluetooth stuff to other phones and a decent camera (5MP+) with flash and zoom.

All things that should be included in the Iphone MkII which should be out later this year if internet rumours are to be believed.

When it includes all the above then I might buy one....

you are right! The camera is ***** and no multimedia messaging. But this is not a 3G phone... when (not if) they launch the 3G version I am sure will be fantastic. For me this version works welll I do not use photo messaging at all. But I use a lot the e-mail / internet / sms (chat) and phone facility. Another good thing is that as I have a Mac the synchro with iTunes or Address Book is done perfectly!

Pedro

Bong Water said:
I personally think they are gimmicky *****, bit like the Ipod, there are much better versions of the same product but people go for the Iphone or the Ipod because marketing tell them its cool when really its just an overpriced alternative to a better product. All aboard, the bandwagon.

I hear what you are saying but I researched the iPhone before buying and personally find it is the best option for me. I previously had a Blackberry and hated it.

I know the iPhone has some weaknesses but the overall package is great. I'm a little insulted that you brand me as jumping on the band wagon. I certainly didn't buy it because Apple told me it was good.

It really does depend on what you want out of a device. I personally dont use MMS or even texts that much. The camera is unimportant to me as I own a Nikon D2 but it still enables me to take snaps should I desire.

I have always been a fan of the iPod and disagree with your statement that they are over priced alternatives to a better option. I don't think there is an MP3 player at the moment that has a better user interface than the iPod Touch.

Many people slate the iPhone without knowing anything about it. They slate the fact that it doesn't have 3G. They are correct, it doesn't but it does have EDGE which will in real world usage give very similar performance and requires significantly less battery power.

The iPhone is still very new to the market and it needs a little time to evolve. The Software Developer Kit (SDK) will be available very soon and I think the true potential of the new platform will then become apparent as third party developers will then be able to develop application to fill some of the current short fallings and make it an even better product than it already is. My Company has signed up to the SDK program and have been working on some software which will enable our customer base to use a portable version of application we currently distribute. What other device can we have this level of customisation over?

I agree that the iPhone may not suit everyone but that doesn't make it *****! It is a very clever piece of todays technology and it has certainly not even seen anywhere near its full potential yet.

lol dont feel insulted, its just an opinion on an internet forum!