I just test drove the 184 PS!

snakehips

Reaction score
Our local dealer has an S-Line Quattro 184 demonstrator so I took it for a spin at lunchtime. Absolutely ****** marvellous!
Coming from a Golf GTi I wasn't convinced a diesel could cut it for me but I have to say its performance at least matched the GTi, and I think was better at motorway overtaking and real life driving. Add to that the Quattro stability and the fact that it is just such a nice place to sit, so I went ahead and ordered one on the spot! The only downside is expected January delivery.
My spec:

S-Line Quattro SB 184 PS
Shiraz Red
Comfort Pack
Technology Pack
LED Headlights
B&O Sound System
Phone Box
Folding Door Mirrors
Electric and Heated Seats
Panoramic Sunroof
Privacy Glass
Interior Lighting Package
Deselect Sports Suspension

I think all this should add up to a nice little motor...

Reactions: mister.c., TDI-line, Fragup and 1 other person
have you driven a 150 to compare against?

No, I started a thread last week asking for comparison but no one had at that time. TBH even if the 150 was pretty much as good I'd have taken the 184 because I wanted Quattro. I'm sure your 150 is absolutely ****** marvellous too!

I hope so! The lease prices hadn't been released for the 184 when I had to order! Otherwise would have forgone a few options for the 184.

You should drive one just to be able to make a comparison for other people :p My 150PS test drive was almost a year ago now so can't really compare myself, if I were to try the 184 (I might ask to at some point though)

I should add that I went in fully expecting to order Daytona Grey but they had a display car in Shiraz Red and I fell in love with it. Had never seen that colour in the flesh before.

You should drive one just to be able to make a comparison for other people :p My 150PS test drive was almost a year ago now so can't really compare myself, if I were to try the 184 (I might ask to at some point though)

Maybe I should, as a public service!

Reactions: cemerson and outlaw7
I had ordered the 150 with the spec in my signature. Then the 184ps came out, which is the engine I originally wanted, as I didn't want to step down in power from my TT(175hp). Dithered between the scuba blue or the red, but decided on the red when I saw it in the flesh..

If Audi were to give me the choice I would probably go for the 184 but I don't think they will. As you can see from my signature I have a 2.0TDI-170 Sportback in SE trim with 17" alloys at the moment which is just perfect. There are things about the Sport trim that I don't like. I know I can have the SE suspension and wheels but I don't want Sports seats and I don't want a black interior. My last few A3s have had grey interiors and I much prefer that. I've had enough cars with black interiors to last me a lifetime.

If Audi decide not to offer the Sportback 184 in SE trim then I will probably go for the 150 and accept the slightly lower power.

You can get the sport trim with a grey interior, I'm pretty sure...

I've got a grey interior on my sport model. You need to order the alcantara upgraded seats to get grey. Looks great, black too gloomy.

I was torn between them really, but thought that it would be harder to keep clean / show the dirt more, and with the interior lighting pack you can really make it all look like a fighter jet cockpit at night with it all being dark :p I've since read that the grey can leech colour from denim sometimes as well.

I've got a grey interior on my sport model. You need to order the alcantara upgraded seats to get grey. Looks great, black too gloomy.
That's true but I don't like the sports seats or leather. My current A3 had the light grey material seats and I would want something similar. This is only available in SE trim.

That's true but I don't like the sports seats or leather. My current A3 had the light grey material seats and I would want something similar. This is only available in SE trim.

It is quite poor of Audi not to add the 184 to the SE spec, when you can buy an A4 3.0 TDIQ.

But looking on Audi.de shows you configure a very basic model with 2.0 TDIQ 184, so maybe this may follow over here.

Lovely spec Snakechips, wish i could of specced all those options.

I've got to say the 184 Quattro is one of the best driver cars, with great feedback, even after comparing this after driving the new GTI and GTD.

So i've ordered one also. ;)