I have no clutch switch??

Plunky

Reaction score
just taken the panel off below the steering wheel to see if i could readjust the clutch switch, because my car over revs when changing gear, and there is no clutch switch, just 2 empty holes. very confused!
any ideas where it is? or if my car should have 1? the car is an R reg 1.8t a3.
any help would be great

cheers

Liam

Never heard about a clutch switch that has something to do with engine revs. I know that the clutch switch is for the cruise control. When you press the clutch pedal, the CC will disengage.

If you don't have Cruise Control then the switch will not be there. It is indeed to disengage the CC when pushing the clutch

Incorrect!

My car doesn't have cruise control but does have a clutch switch.

Are you sure you haven't had a new clutch or pedal etc and they've simply forgotten to refit it? They're only £12 from the dealer and a 2 min job to fit

Mine still over revs though even though i changed mine!

the car did have a new clutch just before i got it not so long ago.
should the car definately have a cutch switch then?

Not sure. It seems some do some don't, but i think most do!

Like i said, mine still over revs though with a new one! I was alot worse when i drove it without one at all though, so its worth a try for the sake of £12

Incorrect!

My car doesn't have cruise control but does have a clutch switch.

Are you sure you haven't had a new clutch or pedal etc and they've simply forgotten to refit it? They're only £12 from the dealer and a 2 min job to fit

Mine still over revs though even though i changed mine!
The switch is used in conjuction with the cruise control Simples.
Pushing the clutch when the cruise is on disengages the cruise.
Now how do you suppose it does that? It's the switch on the clutch.

Not sure. It seems some do some don't, but I think most do!
You seemed sure in your first reply.
If you don't have cruise you don't need the switch to disengage it.
Fitting one will not cure anything. Yes I know the wiring is present.
The reason fitting a new clutch switch your car without cruise did not cure the fault is because without cruise the switch is an ornament, possibly fitted by someone else in the past, just as if the OP fits one now the next owner will say, "Mine doesn't have cruise but has the switch"

Hmm can someone give a definitive answer on if a car without cruise control should have a clutch switch or not? I ask because I went to Audi to order one today and the guys first response was that I dont need one as I dont have cruise control but he then looked on his computer and said I do need one????