I have an audi a3 2004 8p change the radio to an audi navigation sytem

william scott

Reaction score
I have an audi a3 2004 8p and i want to change the standard radio for an audi navigation system, how would i do this and which ones would fit the car. any system is fine i just want one with a larger screen but has to be audi.

Then you need to retrofit the RNSE.
If you have the single din radio, which i suspect you might, then it's quite involved as it requires a different cage fitting in the dash.

My A3 was 2004 and it had a double din concert radio/CD and that was a straight swap for an RNSE apart from the wiring plug .

Do you require any extra sensors or aerials or is that all built into the nav unit?

I've got RNSE in my A3 and found it to be so much more useful than the standalone TomTom I'd previously used. Looking at fitting OE nav to my other car now lol...

The RNSE worked off the std radio aerial on my A3 when i did the conversion and was never a problem.

Reactions: TitaniumTom
My A3 was 2004 and it had a double din concert radio/CD and that was a straight swap for an RNSE apart from the wiring plug .
My first 2005 A3 3.2 had a single din!
The RNSE isn't the best compared to the likes of tomtom but it's the best integrated solution

Stretching the old memory now Ju but i think the Concert was double din and symphony was single or maybe the other way round :)

My first 2005 A3 3.2 had a single din!
The RNSE isn't the best compared to the likes of tomtom but it's the best integrated solution

I bought a new TomTom a couple of years ago and have been really disappointed. It replaced my 2009 model but I can't say it's any better! It's very slow and takes ages to wake up, where the RNSE seems to be working within seconds of starting the engine. RNSE uses TMC traffic, my TomTom was meant to use traffic reports through my phone, but turned out my SIM doesn't support it so I have no traffic on it. TomTom removed speed sensitive volume, so it shouts at me in villages and can't be heard on the motorway. And I find the touch screen very unresponsive, I prefer the physical button on the RNSE. I guess a more expensive TomTom might be better as mines only a midrange one but I also hate anything stuck on the screen lol!

Tend to agree, if "it" needs a power lead i don't need "it" :)

Tend to agree, if "it" needs a power lead i don't need "it" :)

I don't know how some people see out of their windscreens, huge ornaments hanging from the mirror, a massive dashcam with loose wiring on the drivers side, a sat nav with loose wiring in the middle of the screen, a phone cradle on the right hand side... :laughing:

If anyone wants a double din cage there is 1 for sale on gumtree (Thornton Bradford area )

Stretching the old memory now Ju but i think the Concert was double din and symphony was single or maybe the other way round :)
I think it is sort of the other way around in that the Symphony has always been the better one and double DIN but later Concerts (like my 2007MY A3) were double DIN too. Maybe when the cassette player was ditched.

If youre going to fit rnse it's going to cost you what your car is worth. No doubt you be wanting Bluetooth for the phone, plus the looms adds up.