1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I got the barge back..cams !

Stokka Jul 18, 2018

1. Stokka

Stokka Member

and to my somewhat amazeballs, they haven't done the cam chains ( which was what they said it was ). Instead they have replaced the cams, yup, with 46000 miles on, it needed cams ! This has to be a new one, nowhere have I read while I was researching reliability etc that cams were an issue, chains yes ( i did try and stay clear of the effected vehicles by date) but cams , not one mention of them.
    I can't even tell if the car is quieter, because the 18 plate A3 1.5TFSi they gave me was like a tractor, with 2750 miles on it, it really was shockingly rattly. So when i got in A6 AR it sounded quiet ohh yes, but quieter than before it went in, i have no idea :/
    I took a wee video with my phone though a couple of weeks ago, I suppose if i take another 1 and try and compare the 2 I may hear a difference, but phones aren't great at that kinda thing, we'll see ehh

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. Stokka

Stokka Member

Christ on a bike! , there's oil pi$$ing all over the place now, I think it's a godsend there was no-one there when I saw it and blasted back down. I am not happy.
    It's at RHS of engine, all over innerwing, EGR pipes so smoking it's tits off, all over the underside of the car, the wishbones, everything!
    fk i am mad, really mad
    This will not lye

4. BahnStormer77

BahnStormer77 BahnStormer

Ouch! sounds messy - what's the car's history like? age? mileage? Let us know what Audi say / when it is sorted!

I know what you mean about the courtesy cars: you want to say to them "yes, my car is obviously feels amazing after the ratty little runabout I've been driving for the last week"... recent history has been a 120bhp 1.4TFSI (bottom of the range A1), 4-pot TDI A5, although at least that was a quattro.... best I've ever had was an A6 Le Mans edition, but again TDI :( Still better than getting the bus/train home :)

5. Stokka

Stokka Member

46k mate, it's 3 on sept 22nd. I went at 8am this morning and head tech came out to look at it. He weren't too happy at all and even went so far to say send them any costs incurred to have the oil cleaned up at the 3 places it dumped it where I had parked. The engine bay is a mess the plastics are a mess, he saw hand prints of oil that I had missed, and when they topped it up after the work I think they used a bucket or, a balloon full of oil and threw it at the filler neck.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

6. BahnStormer77

and this is at an Audi dealership?!? I assume so, given the car's age!

7. Stokka

Stokka Member

Yup, wearside Audi.bi chose them as my service partner so might be rethinking that one

8. marriedblonde

marriedblonde Well-Known Member

Don't give up yet on them. People make mistakes, it could just be a loose connector.

Wait to see how they resolve it, they will be very telling if they want your business in future.

9. Sandra

Sandra Administrator Staff Member Administrator TeamMisano TFSI Owners Group Audi S3 quattro Platinum Supporter S tronic Audi Main Dealer

When you have your car back fixed leave a review. They be listed on the link below

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/showcase/

Stokka likes this.
  10. Stokka

Stokka Member

It's back, and safely tucked up. The issue, right hand side rocker cover gasket, which was new, not properly held in place before being tightened down. Once tightened down the cover cut through gasket allowing oil spray out towards the center of the engine, simple enough oversight, well maybe.
    The other issue, the mess left from the technician. All agreed I should not have been handed the car back with so much oil all over the engine compartment, covers and padding, regardless of the leak.
    The oil from the leak, made it into the electrics, the belly pan, the under body protection, the engine mounts (which i was informed due to there shape actually caught the majority of it) the gearbox protector plate (allroad), wishbones, inner wing and firewall.
    This, I thought, was dealt with very well. They cleaned it from above with degreasers and washed it all down, then took the car out on a 15 (ish) mile journey to get wind into it, then back it came to be be degreased again, underside protection off, which had to be cleaned almost to the point of being valeted because it has a felt liner (to catch oil leaks? ). Rinsed again, and off out for another spin ( dry ) (LOL, spin dry! only me? , no, not funny ? OK then moving on) . On it's return, yup, you guessed it, start again, degrease the final few oil trails , rinse it all down and off out for another spin ( i won't go there again, no, no, i'm upset now, I thought it was funny) then left to stand while it was valeted, even the door checks, all the engine area dried and dressed like they would a new car (looks lovely). Wheels and tyres got the treatment ( I personally hate it the stuff but it does look good ).
    Then off it went to be brimmed full of lovely diesel (lovely because it was freeeeeeeee) it had about 3/8 tank in when i took it in this morning and they did just over 50 miles.
    Stuart (workshop manager) is a good guy, when I asked how to approach the oilspill at home etc, off he went, and came back with a gallon of brake and clutch cleaner and a brand new pump-up 1litre squirty bottle "this will get it up nps" rigggghhhttttt, "and if it doesn't.....get it cleaned and bring us the bill and we'll pay for it" but no need, it brought it up easily with little effort from me.
    Stuart as you would expect pretty in the 'know', so i got to asking about the cams, hoping he be like me and know his stuff. So these new cams have a different profile on the close side of the cam-lobe, removing a small ticking which can develope, but in doing so, surely the valve is open longer, maybe allowing for more fuel to be put in ? Reply:- a smile, and a " yeh I supose so. Maybe an increase in torque or hp (i'm testing the water at this point)? Possibly... but certainly very slight if there is one.
    This part may worry some, others it may not. He did inform me that the procedure they carried out on mine, replacing the cams, was being carried out, give or take, around once a week.
    This bit of info (which I might have a little muddled) may help people determine if their chain tensioners are/have failed. On the front of one of the cams is an oil pressure regulator which has a jack that plugs on to it. Removing this jack means oil to the cams and the chain tensioners is no longer regulated and at full pressure and if the tensioners are worn, the higher oil pressure actually makes them quieter because the high pressure is pushing the pistons out that tiny bit more and it's quite an audiable difference.
    Conclusion:- I am more than satisfied with the work, explanations and treatment of Wearside Audi today, with an extra thumbs up to Stuart. They will be getting repeat business from me :D

I haven't wrote anything this long since I was at school, cramp has set in my fingers BUT I can still post an Engine bay shot!

IMG_20180719_200526.jpg

Spotless!

Paul

Spiedhermonkey and Rhyso like this.
  11. paultaylor

paultaylor Member

Very informative Stuart.

I’ve owned a dec 2014 C7.5 3.0tdi 272 BE for two months now and it’s the best all round car I’ve ever had, it’s good on fuel, effortless to drive and crucially in Ireland the annual road tax is only €280 per year(previous R32, E46 M3 and Jag Xjr were all €1,809 per year!)

It was only after I bought it I noticed a line on a service invoice from April 17 that read

Engine rattle to be rebooked

This and the info on this forum had me worried that the chain tensioners were a problem.

They still sound loud

I rang the Audi dealership and they said the customer never brought it back!

So with the power of google I found a number for the original owner.

He kindly took my call and confirmed straight away all the work was done by the same garage!

I rang the Audi back and got a different person who confirmed it was done in May 17.

What a relief!

I’d love to know what exactly was done or would it be the same procedure determined by Audi Germany.

Thanks to all here for the superb info.

I just got from north of Paris to Barcelona with whole family with ease!

Spiedhermonkey likes this.
  12. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

13. Stokka

Stokka Member

Paul, there is a digital record of any and all work carried out on your car which you should be able to view at any main dealers, i guess if you ask nicely enough they will be happy to show you. i asked about mine and was shown without hesitation...nothing to see really, inspection, inspection and oil and filters then a MPC (multi point check for approved use audi)

Paul

14. BahnStormer77

@Stokka - people make mistakes / accidents happen, even if they have processes that mean they shouldn't, but it's how they then deal with them after they've happened that really counts*: to be fair to Wearside Audi, it sounds like they've done a decent job of cleaning up their mess (literal and figurative) and hopefully restored your faith in them.

*my theory is that IF people screw up all the time, then they'll get lazy/tight with the clean-up act and any compensation... the extent to which it is a genuinely a rare mistake is usually reflected in how much effort they'll put into setting things right again.

Maybe a little too early to celebrate success (give it a few more miles with no problems before you bring out the champagne), but it sounds like a reasonable outcome despite the worry + wasted time, but you got professionally valeted engine bay and half a tank of derv as compensation...

15. paultaylor

paultaylor Member

Paul, thanks

I have the digital record from Audi and no mention of the work.

I’ll call the dealership again and see if they can give me details.

I’m presuming it’ll be the optimised part was fitted and the labour was an engine out?

16. Stokka

Stokka Member

Bahn, we'll see I guess but I have kept an eye on it today, and no issues at all, but i will be doing over 200 miles over the week end, more inspections will ensue.

Paul I don't know why they would say it hasn't when the original owners says it has. i think something in writing from him (owner) maybe and take that in. have you thought about ringing audi-uk, or emailing them (responses take 2 or 3 days mind you) and see how you get on. the fact that it's an older car shouldn't matter at all as they will have supplied the parts for correction, and what if, you car falls outside of the digital record system start date. just putting things out there to be thought over really

17. paultaylor

paultaylor Member

Sorry I should have been clearer.

They said it hasn’t been brought back when I first enquired.

Then I got hold of the original owner and he told me the same Audi dealer did it.

So I rang back and they confirmed it had.

The guy said he would email me the details of what was done but he never did so I’ll try again.

Cheers.

Stokka likes this.