I could cry :'-(

How much did they cost inc fitting?

You can buy them and fit yourself for about £60+ postage or can can pay about £120 to get them fitted by approved Alloygator fitters. Its one of those jobs that if you u have done it several times before its probably easy, if not its a fidderly pain in the #### to do. Thats why i took the approved fitters route and very pleased I did it.

OK cheers for that, yeah it's an easy when you know how job then ;)

Diamond cut wheels can only be repaired once by the way and the repair won't last. You will end up having to paint them or buy a new wheel! Biggest fail ever kerbing a diamond cut

^ not sure where that comes from, but not universally true.

You can keep repairing diamond cut wheels, as long as there is enough metal to keep cutting (removing) from the face, not to compromise safety or aesthetics.

Each wheel style is different, but you can usually get around 3 passes or repairs out of a wheel.

The repair, once done, is permanent, and once lacquered again, will last as long as an OE wheel.

Reactions: batch
^ not sure where that comes from, but not universally true.

You can keep repairing diamond cut wheels, as long as there is enough metal to keep cutting (removing) from the face, not to compromise safety or aesthetics.

Each wheel style is different, but you can usually get around 3 passes or repairs out of a wheel.

The repair, once done, is permanent, and once lacquered again, will last as long as an OE wheel.
Well-said @veeeight . Totally agree - had my old rotors done and they lasted well and looked incredible.
My wife has managed to do three of ours in the space of 6 weeks, it's soul-destroying! Especially on these wheels - when clean and sealed, and immaculate, I reckon the standard S3 rims with that high-gloss lacquer look just about perfect.

Reactions: slayaz and veeeight
OK cheers for that, yeah it's an easy when you know how job then ;)

Hi - I managed to fit the alloygators myself - it is really very easy with a bit of patience and the right tools .

Prepare each gator by gluing the clips in place to suit the size of your wheel. There are numbered holes for the clips and the instructions tell you how many to glue in and where to put them in which slot.

You will need a jack. Jack up your car one wheel at a time. Deflate the tyre.Use some soapy water and lubricate the tyre and rim to make slotting the alloygator in easy.
Slot the alloy gator in at the valve first and press it in around the wheel. Use a rubber hammer moving around the wheel to ensure the gator is inserted evenly behind the rim the whole way round. When you reach the valve again cut it to size and slot the last piece in and glue. Inflate the tyre to 15psi repeat the hammering procedure and inflate fully. Glue in the clip t cover the join. Repeat for each wheel.

Simples

Reactions: jungle650
It is universally accepted. Spoke to about 5 diamond cut repairers as needed a wheel repaired again and none could do it so had to have it painted. Also research into how long a diamond cut repair lasts and it's very disappointing

Just been notified that my claim to repair the damaged Diamond Cut wheel has been approved and Audi Dundee has been nominated as their approved repairer. Just waiting on them to contact me now to arrange a date, I hope they give me a replacement wheel

Dundee Audi just informed me yesterday that a 'new' wheel has been ordered which will take about 2wks.
They aren't even bothering to look at it or try and repair it and it's not even that bad happy days!
e684ecf8ec0b71079071e63aa31e6715.jpg

I am having Alloygators (black) fitted to my S3 tomorrow - probably not particularly pretty but on reading reviews of the most recent version of them, on balance I think they will be a worthwhile investment for new perfect wheels.....

I had a look at Alloygaters as well - if you pick a decent colour you could make your wheels stand-out and not have too much of that "after market" look.

Could get a colour to match your car?

I picked black. The fitter showed me the silver too but the finish was far duller than the silver edge of the wheel so I decided black was safe option.

I picked black. The fitter showed me the silver too but the finish was far duller than the silver edge of the wheel so I decided black was safe option.

Have you had them done yet? How do they look?

Can you post a picture please

Have you had them done yet? How do they look?

Can you post a picture please

Here are my Alloygators. If you were not looking for them you would not know they are there.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    847.6 KB · Views: 414
Reactions: slayaz
Mine are being fitted this afternoon - due to pick car up at 6pm. I will post up a pic, although they should look just like jungle's as per his post and pics. Pretty neat I think - and part of the outer rim is still visible so the gator doesn't completely mask the polished part.

Mine are being fitted this afternoon - due to pick car up at 6pm. I will post up a pic, although they should look just like jungle's as per his post and pics. Pretty neat I think - and part of the outer rim is still visible so the gator doesn't completely mask the polished part.
I hope you are happy with them. The reason I wanted to see them is you've gone the black route so I wanted a comparison between the black and the charcoal.

The 19's look huge so I was curious whether the black will make them appear smaller.

I have to get them regardless as my darling wife uses kerbs as brakes!

Reactions: Mrbish
LOL ! Oh dear....! I was in a bit of a hurry to get home and didn't take photos. Will do so as soon as poss although away on a boys' cycling trip for the weekend so might be Sunday before i post them up. Certainly first impressions are that they are fairly unobtrusive to the casual observer (like my wife who thought they looked like part of the wheel). I am pleased with the outcome - hope they don't get put to the test anytime soon.....anyway £100 fitted.

Fitter is a good lad - told me to make sure any tyre fitters are told they don't need to remove the gators to replace a tyre, which is obviously good news and to get back to him with any queries/concerns. He clearly has confidence in the product, which in turn inspires confidence in me.....

New Diamond Cut wheel getting fitted today at Audi Dundee
Definitely worth getting the Alloy wheel & tyre insurance

0be6565e56df20324794a28758349caa.jpg

Reactions: Cairnsy13, Jassyo06, sixlargebeers and 1 other person
Good stuff swainy - glad you're getting sorted.

How much was the insurance ? Is it dealer only and to be purchased within 30 days of purchase from new (as with Smart insurance) ?

Good stuff swainy - glad you're getting sorted.

How much was the insurance ? Is it dealer only and to be purchased within 30 days of purchase from new (as with Smart insurance) ?
It was purchased via the dealer and cost £449 for 36mths and covers x10 Alloy repairs/replacements and x5 tyres

It's also transferable if you change vehicle

Well, that's the alloygators on my S3 started to pay for themselves.....first I nicked a (very low I thought) kerb parking and then last night got home to find wife had scraped about one-third of the surface of the n/s/f gator. No wheel damage whatosever so they do work. Now need to rub/sand the surface of the two gators to disgusie the damage.

I have to confess I had a few choice words when Mrs beers denied all knowledge and claimed to have been super careful (despite being the only person to have driven the car over the last few days) - and they were perfect when I washed it on Saturday.......come to think of it, it worries me slightly that she thinks she has stayed away from pavements and is not remotely aware of the damage.......:(

Reactions: Gareth Kelly, Jassyo06, SW14NY'S and 1 other person
I would appreciate somemore information in the alloy insurance before I splash out £400 for it.

Does it cover kerb damage? I read somewhere that it only covers defects to the wheel?

What did everyone pay for it?

Is there an alternative provider other than Audi?

Waste of money imo, just keep your money and get your alloy sorted if it happens @ £50 a pop

Lots of nasty disheartening pics here. By some sheer act of god I've yet to curb mine. First time it's ever (Never) happened

Yes, I haven't kerbed an alloy yet. BUT ... knowing luck it will happen to the expense wheels!

I've repaired similar, you should have a go nothing ventured nothing gained.

Terraced street, high kerbs equals parking in the middle of the road !

I would appreciate somemore information in the alloy insurance before I splash out £400 for it.

Does it cover kerb damage? I read somewhere that it only covers defects to the wheel?

What did everyone pay for it?

Is there an alternative provider other than Audi?
I got it chucked in for 'free' when I picked up my A1 and it paid for itself in the end, 5 tyres are included as well so if you play it right you can get some damage on the sidewall when the tread is running low :whistle2: I used the refurbs for my alloys just before I traded it in too, only had a couple of small nicks after 2 years of owning it and looked brand new afterwards. So I'd recommend it, as I've just taken it out on my S3, also 'free'.

I got it chucked in for 'free' when I picked up my A1 and it paid for itself in the end, 5 tyres are included as well so if you play it right you can get some damage on the sidewall when the tread is running low :whistle2: I used the refurbs for my alloys just before I traded it in too, only had a couple of small nicks after 2 years of owning it and looked brand new afterwards. So I'd recommend it, as I've just taken it out on my S3, also 'free'.

Seems I have been offered a very high figure then.

Where do I stand with in asking for a lower price though? I will be collecting the car next month, so don't really have any bargain chips?

Seems I have been offered a very high figure then.

Where do I stand with in asking for a lower price though? I will be collecting the car next month, so don't really have any bargain chips?
Ah right, I bargained mine before shaking on the deal, said if they could add the pack without putting the monthly payments up and they said deal. I'm not sure if any other companies offer a similar package for less? Audi do it through a company called premia solutions

Yeah, I got offered it to start and just refused it. But now reading, would like it,or something similar.

New Diamond Cut wheel getting fitted today at Audi Dundee
Definitely worth getting the Alloy wheel & tyre insurance

0be6565e56df20324794a28758349caa.jpg
Audi wouldn't insure the wheels on the S3 due to them being diamond cut. One of them is kerbed and was "fixed" by Audi but they did a real **** poor job of it.

TX.

Response today from dealer was that the £399 could not be discounted. The joys of trying to haggle after order has been placed :(

Response today from dealer was that the £399 could not be discounted. The joys of trying to haggle after order has been placed :(
Don't think of it as you're loosing out cause it'll pay for itself if something happens, say you get all 4 wheels refurbed and 2 new tyres during the 3 years, thats £700 and you've not even used half of the allowance

Reactions: Gazjs
Check out this awesome effort from the missus! Great job, made my day.

Attachments

• 20160304_180806.jpg
    20160304_180806.jpg
    715.1 KB · Views: 418
It's mostly a fixed price per wheel irrespective of damage , she's just getting you value for money .

Women know your limits .

Reactions: pburv
Don't think of it as you're loosing out cause it'll pay for itself if something happens, say you get all 4 wheels refurbed and 2 new tyres during the 3 years, thats £700 and you've not even used half of the allowance

This is true, but it's annoying to see others have it thrown in. If I can't find any independent deal, then I will probabaly go for it :D

Check out this awesome effort from the missus! Great job, made my day.

WOW!! I am guessing she has some serious making up to do. Hopefully you get it good as new in no time.

I love how everybody blames their mrs

Reactions: Gazwould and pburv