I apologise for even asking.

Maco

Reaction score
Really boring, terrible question to ask but..

What mpg are you lot getting from a B8.5 2.0
Tdi 150 auto?? Just been to Chester shopping, 320 mile ish round trip all motorway miles & it’s cost me £50 in diesel and there’s literally not a drop of diesel left in the car. Personally seems terrible to me so was thinking there could be an underlying issue somewhere? Not particularly bothered about what it’s costing to run, just wondering if there could be some issues occurring.

Wish it was more like my 2018 Berlingo van, runs on fresh air that little thing. 100 mile per £10.

Oh, I could almost get 320 miles out of £50 of petrol in my B8 S4 - and get all the extra fun that an S4 gives, something wrong there indeed!

Reactions: Carlos85
Oh, I could almost get 320 miles out of £50 of petrol in my B8 S4 - and get all the extra fun that an S4 gives, something wrong there indeed!

Round the doors it was very poor but I never thought much of it, but when I stuck £50 & did all motorway miles I was shocked. Originally when I set off yesterday I only put £40 in the tank thinking it would be easily enough. Coming back today I had to pull into Wetherby services which is 60 mile from me. Stuck a tenner in as that’s all I had cash without using my card & before I got to around thirsk which is 25 mile the diesel light was back on and by the time I reached home it was on 0 miles.

how much was your diesel? £1.30 is around 38mpg at 320 miles for £50. If your diesel was more expensive then you will have been doing better mpg. My old 3 litre will do 45-50 if I'm cruising at 70, so yours should do a bit better, if you were knocking on at 85mph ish then it will probably be about right.

how much was your diesel? £1.30 is around 38mpg at 320 miles for £50. If your diesel was more expensive then you will have been doing better mpg. My old 3 litre will do 45-50 if I'm cruising at 70, so yours should do a bit better, if you were knocking on at 85mph ish then it will probably be about right.

£1.33 I think, had cruise control set 90% of the time & never had it above 75.

The b8 diesel is awful on fuel. Frankly an absolute joke.

The b8 diesel is awful on fuel. Frankly an absolute joke.

Yeah your right, came from a 2014 Merc e250 so I expected massive improvements fuel wise but it’s definitely worse. I’m in the dog house as the wife didn’t want to part with the merc but I told her she would see a big mpg improvement

Blimey, these 2 litres don't sound so good, my 3 litre would have probably done 45 mpg on that journey, even my old V70 T5 would have done about 32.

Have you emissions update done? If so, get it remapped and you will see a big difference in MPG with same driving.

I've got A3 2.0 TDI SB and in my first full fill up since purchase a few weeks ago I averaged 39mpg. That was a combo of having a bit of fun as well as 360 mile round trip to Scotland giving it some beans with a car/boot full and back. I am hoping this fill up I can squeeze a lot more out of it and get a 'true' reading.

Your 320 sounds low but as above maybe due to driving style? What was your average mpg?

I've got A3 2.0 TDI SB and in my first full fill up since purchase a few weeks ago I averaged 39mpg. That was a combo of having a bit of fun as well as 360 mile round trip to Scotland giving it some beans with a car/boot full and back. I am hoping this fill up I can squeeze a lot more out of it and get a 'true' reading.

Your 320 sounds low but as above maybe due to driving style? What was your average mpg?

It was all motorway driving, cruise control set 90% of the time & never above 75. Empty boot for half of the journey but when it was full it was only clothes so nothing heavy. Average MPG from the onboard computer is showing 52 mpg which its getting no where near

Didn’t want to start a new post so thought I’d mention it in here, do the fans on the b8s cut in quite easily & run for some time once you’ve turned the engine off? Temperature gauge is normal & even after relatively quick journeys the fan seems to cut in & run for some time.

@Maco What about the other 10% though...heavy acceleration, late breaking etc?

So on-board says 52 mpg, what was your calculation?

@Maco What about the other 10% though...heavy acceleration, late breaking etc?

So on-board says 52 mpg, what was your calculation?

Really sensible, had my mother sister & 6 year old niece in the car. Around 10/15 of the whole journey will of been town driving. My calculation was around 37/38mpg

I’ll report back when I’ve emptied my tank (be warned I dont do a lot of miles).

I checked my tyre pressures this week and they were around 8/9 psi down on recommended all round. I think I’ve also seen some reports of dragging/binding callipers on here at some point. Other than that I am still adjusting to the automatic box and using the brakes/park/neutral when at lights although I doubt you will have that issue.

Hopefully someone in the meantime can offer some some reassurances or suggestions?

I’ll report back when I’ve emptied my tank (be warned I dont do a lot of miles).

I checked my tyre pressures this week and they were around 8/9 psi down on recommended all round. I think I’ve also seen some reports of dragging/binding callipers on here at some point. Other than that I am still adjusting to the automatic box and using the brakes/park/neutral when at lights although I doubt you will have that issue.

Hopefully someone in the meantime can offer some some reassurances or suggestions?

Thank you id appreciate that. In all honesty, I don’t think I’ll have the car past January. If Christmas wasn’t around the corner then it would probably be gone this month. Coming from Mercedes I find the A4 rubbish. Certainly don’t expect you or anyone else to agree as your probably an Audi lover but personally Audi is not for me.

That is a fair enough comment, I was/am a VW person basically because I own a legal version of VCDS which is an essential bit kit if you want to run any VW Group product as it saves the "homing pigeon" instinct of the car wanting/needing to see the inside of a dealership! I only bought an Audi because VW had, for reasons of economics, turned the Passat back into a VW from being just well used Audi bits. I like my B8 S4 a lot, it is not a big car when compared with the competition and that suits me as my wife and I are not big lumps of lard, I like the essential bits that Audi have engineered into that model that makes it a handy lightly sportish car suitable for longer journeys - all of which adds up to make me an Audi owner but not the stereo typical Audi driver, I respect other road users - not sure that stereo typical M-B drivers do either, so not just an Audi BMW trait.

I'd watch out though, as it seems that BMW and M-B are beating Audi in the race to the bottom in terms of quality and durability.

That is a fair enough comment, I was/am a VW person basically because I own a legal version of VCDS which is an essential bit kit if you want to run any VW Group product as it saves the "homing pigeon" instinct of the car wanting/needing to see the inside of a dealership! I only bought an Audi because VW had, for reasons of economics, turned the Passat back into a VW from being just well used Audi bits. I like my B8 S4 a lot, it is not a big car when compared with the competition and that suits me as my wife and I are not big lumps of lard, I like the essential bits that Audi have engineered into that model that makes it a handy lightly sportish car suitable for longer journeys - all of which adds up to make me an Audi owner but not the stereo typical Audi driver, I respect other road users - not sure that stereo typical M-B drivers do either, so not just an Audi BMW trait.

I'd watch out though, as it seems that BMW and M-B are beating Audi in the race to the bottom in terms of quality and durability.

Interesting read, not sure if it’s a generation thing but I find the BMWs & the MBs a better looking car and better interior wise. Although my 2014 e class did have the old dated speedo which I hated. I’m 24 so maybe that’s why I find them better than most on here. That’s me just being judgmental & thinking most people on here are older.

Quality & durability wise, I’ve had 2 Mercs & one Bmw. The 1 series I had was a fantastic little car, it was only a 116D sport so was very basic but a 120/125 M sport does really take my fancy if I go back down the Bmw route.

As for the mercs, my C class was manual & had a few gearbox issues which led me onto the E class. The E250 was a awesome car & pulled like a train, only reason I sold it was for running costs. I thought it was poor on diesel & didn’t like paying merc £600 for basic services. Without a doubt though if I was in a better position financially & wasn’t moving home next year I would go back to Mercedes. Probably look at a C class coupe but the prices on the new generation ones are crazy at the minute.

Thinking of getting rid of the Audi & getting a cheap 2013/14 BMW 120/125d until after I’ve moved home & then look at something a little nicer. Don’t get me wrong though, if I could afford a B9 with a decent lump in it then that could be on the cards.

Didn’t want to start a new post so thought I’d mention it in here, do the fans on the b8s cut in quite easily & run for some time once you’ve turned the engine off? Temperature gauge is normal & even after relatively quick journeys the fan seems to cut in & run for some time.
That shows it trying to do a Dpf regen if fans stay on.

I’ve got great results from MPg after remap. Once I had map taken off for warranty work the mpg went back to absolutly crap.

That shows it trying to do a Dpf regen if fans stay on.

I’ve got great results from MPg after remap. Once I had map taken off for warranty work the mpg went back to absolutly ****.

Wouldn’t like to know how bad it would be without a remap, it would be terrible.

Reactions: ruairi83
One thing that I've always been aware of with car companies like Audi is, if you are going to buy one, make sure that you only buy one that is fitted with an Audi engine, too many Audis are just getting a cheaper run of the mill VW engine fitted into them, and typically that is where the dissatisfaction comes from. Nothing wrong with these other engine options as long as you lower your expectations as what is being sold is an entry point into Audi ownership, or a disposable Audi, which is fine if you are using it as a mega miler and just need to visibility of being an Audi owner.

My only experience of M-B is my SIL who owned as her first M-B a 200 TE I think it was called, ie an estate with a 2 litre petrol engine, it was okay, had really horrid seat coverings both in colour, pattern and fabric, it was an auto and so at maybe 8 years she was advised by an M-B Indie to move it on as these engines suffered badly at higher age/mileage with maybe erosion on the head and the usual M-B failure of auto box intercoolers introducing coolant to the gearbox fluid, not nice, oh and the normally hidden front crossmember corrosion which still affects many of M-B products quietly and unseen until too late. Next M-B was a C class estate in sports set up, good to drive, terrible to sit in as the polished leather sports seats had convex tops so you could not stay still - and it suffered a lot from striking low kerbs due to its sports suspension, it seemed to end up being chopped in for an E class estate with one of the bigger DERV engines, it was a good long distance mode of transport but again as it passed the 6 year mark it really wanted to visit the dealership too often and get treated to lots of new parts, which is not what they expected from M-B, so they headed across to Audi and probably an A6 avant with a derv engine (probably a VW derv engine as her husband was an accountant!) attitude towards new customers was not good from a couple of dealers, absolutely no chance of a test drive in the model/version they had in mind, no returned phone calls which were promised when a suitable car became available for test driving so they thought "F" you Audi and headed across to BMW where they test drove and ordered a 3 series estate with the 2.5 derv engine - and lived happily ever after until now that car has done serious miles and is at the almost 6 year mark, so something new beckons as it likes to be treated to dealerships too often it seems.

One thing that I've always been aware of with car companies like Audi is, if you are going to buy one, make sure that you only buy one that is fitted with an Audi engine, too many Audis are just getting a cheaper run of the mill VW engine fitted into them, and typically that is where the dissatisfaction comes from. Nothing wrong with these other engine options as long as you lower your expectations as what is being sold is an entry point into Audi ownership, or a disposable Audi, which is fine if you are using it as a mega miler and just need to visibility of being an Audi owner.

My only experience of M-B is my SIL who owned as her first M-B a 200 TE I think it was called, ie an estate with a 2 litre petrol engine, it was okay, had really horrid seat coverings both in colour, pattern and fabric, it was an auto and so at maybe 8 years she was advised by an M-B Indie to move it on as these engines suffered badly at higher age/mileage with maybe erosion on the head and the usual M-B failure of auto box intercoolers introducing coolant to the gearbox fluid, not nice, oh and the normally hidden front crossmember corrosion which still affects many of M-B products quietly and unseen until too late. Next M-B was a C class estate in sports set up, good to drive, terrible to sit in as the polished leather sports seats had convex tops so you could not stay still - and it suffered a lot from striking low kerbs due to its sports suspension, it seemed to end up being chopped in for an E class estate with one of the bigger DERV engines, it was a good long distance mode of transport but again as it passed the 6 year mark it really wanted to visit the dealership too often and get treated to lots of new parts, which is not what they expected from M-B, so they headed across to Audi and probably an A6 avant with a derv engine (probably a VW derv engine as her husband was an accountant!) attitude towards new customers was not good from a couple of dealers, absolutely no chance of a test drive in the model/version they had in mind, no returned phone calls which were promised when a suitable car became available for test driving so they thought "F" you Audi and headed across to BMW where they test drove and ordered a 3 series estate with the 2.5 derv engine - and lived happily ever after until now that car has done serious miles and is at the almost 6 year mark, so something new beckons as it likes to be treated to dealerships too often it seems.

Funny you should say that about the intercooler & gearbox. My manual C class has gearbox problems & my E class had intercooler leaks or it might of been coolant I can’t remember.

Massive mileage & keeping a car a large number of years is never a problem for me. Mileage wise I’m doing less than 3,000 miles a year to work then whatever I do over weekends etc so I’m guessing less than 10,000 a year easily now. Usually keep cars 2/3 at the very most. Thinking of heading back over to Bmw myself actually

Mpg will drop with cruise control on my 2012 b8.5 2.0tdi manual gets 57 mpg on a run 80-85 ish

Yeah I agree 37 mpg is poor

Could Check air filter for any blockages
:racer:

Yeah that could be worth a try, cars being trying to do a dpf Regen for a good while as well but think it’s finally managed to do it while I was on the motorway the other day. Does that affect mpg?

So, stuck £20 in for the weekend & I’m on course to getting 95/100 mile.

My A3 update...

Currently averaging 45mpg (urban) driving gently. Quite a few stops and starts. Just over 3/4 of a tank left with 160 miles done.

Yeah that could be worth a try, cars being trying to do a dpf Regen for a good while as well but think it’s finally managed to do it while I was on the motorway the other day. Does that affect mpg?
Not really not that I have noticed

I’ve managed 75 mile on £20 before the cars started to cough, that’s 23 mpg :wtf:

That's not good at all had a a8 3.0tdi Quattro do that when was last time air filter was replaced :readit:

That's not good at all had a a8 3.0tdi Quattro do that when was last time air filter was replaced :readit:

Only had the car 3 month, was of expected it to of been done before I picked it up. But then again it was bought from Evans Halshaw

Only had the car 3 month, was of expected it to of been done before I picked it up. But then again it was bought from Evans Halshaw

Hmm easy to Check I always do mine myself cost is cheap and easy job get a Bosch one from euro car parts for £10ish

Check boost hoses too could have a split.

Hmm easy to Check I always do mine myself cost is cheap and easy job get a Bosch one from euro car parts for £10ish

Check boost hoses too could have a split.

Just been out and changed the settings on the dtuk tuning box. Turned it down to see if that helps, going to check the filter now.

Reactions: Marky007
Sounds like this needs some looking at, I'd start by doing a brim to brim check on mpg so you can be sure what your car is doing, I'd also ditch the tuning box while you're investigating so you can rule that out.
Brim to brim is the only real way you can find out mpg without going to extreme measures and who knows what that tuning box is up to!

Reactions: Marky007
WTF,

I've Looked at this thread a few times.

Have we only just found out the car has a pish tuning chip installed that tricks car into simply ******* more fuel into the system for some modist gains while screwing up the DPF?

Have I over simplified this or missed something?

There was someone on here had emmisions update done then remap and mpg was terrible.
There's a company who can reverse the update then map which is meant to show significant mpg improvements.

Every time I my fan is on after a drive a plug in Bluetooth obd and use vag dpf app to see if it had finished.
My car can do full regen from 100% full in about 10mins sometimes quicker stops at 23%. Then it's completed full regen.

I agree remove dtuk tuning box that could be your problem.

Last edited:
I've read some right horror stories about the emissions update screwing engines/components so I'm staying well away.

I'm still currently running brim to brim to calculate mpg.