Hydraulic lifters

Sidey

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Is there any way to inspect hydraulic lifters?
I think I might have a sticky one and don't want to replace them all.
Its on a AMK motor with 100 000km.

It is possible to dismantle them. It involves a couple pieces of wood and good firm hit. There are guides on the net, have a google bud.

what symptoms have you got?

When I start the car I got the chain rattle noise from the head, so after some diagnoses I replaced the cam chain tensioner, The noise is still there.

I have also replaced the cam position sensor and did a sump service last night, noise is still there, between 1400rpm and 2000rpm when blipping the throttle.

ah, yeah i was going to suggest the cam chain tensioner. I had this a couple of weeks ago and suspected tappets at first but turned out to be the cam chain tensioner. Although a single tappet would have been far cheaper :(

Agreed.
I am stumped at the moment, was hoping to find sludge or a blocked oil pick up, but alas none of that, motor is very healthy looking for 100 000km
Oil pan inside
8249513036_0820cfee59_b.jpg

oil pickup
8249512788_1b317e48cf_b.jpg

i think there is an official method of checking the tappets without having to take them all out - think i saw it on elsawin when i was having issues with mine. I'll see if i can find it when i get back from work if it'll be any help

100.000km isnt alot of miles.

what can you do to tappets in taking them apart? theyre a very simple part arent they?

No its not its 60k miles, mine does the same every now and again I hate it, but mine is very soft you only hear it if you 30cm away from the motor

Here's what I found from Elsawin

Elsawin said:
If the hydraulic tappets are still noisy, locate defective tappet as follows:

– Remove cylinder head cover​
– Turn crankshaft until cams of the bucket tappet to be checked are at the top (push vehicle in direction of travel with fourth gear engaged and ignition switched off).​
– Push bucket tappet down with a wooden or plastic wedge to determine play between cam and bucket tappet.​

If it is possible to insert a feeler gauge of 0.20 mm between camshaft and bucket tappet:
– Renew bucket tappet.​

Ive seen them taken apart and cleaned, but tbh the best way is to reset them, take them out wind the tappet back in a vice, tighten up back off until the tappet is spongey refit, start engine and they will rest them selfs

i think there is an official method of checking the tappets without having to take them all out - think i saw it on elsawin when i was having issues with mine. I'll see if i can find it when i get back from work if it'll be any help
did you change the chain itself as this could be causing the rattle?

did you change the chain itself as this could be causing the rattle?

me? mines fixed - as i said turned out to be the cam chain tensioner. The fine piece of gauze that filters the oil before entering the tensioner broke and ended up entering the oil passageways and blocking the mechanism. Replaced the tensioner and it sounds fine now. Didn't replace the chain