hybrid turbo upgrade with TTE710

snowfree52

Reaction score
Hi all,

my car is brand new, I have a JB4 and since reading a bit about it on the internet, I was thinking about upgrading the original turbo with a hybrid turbo. I don't wan't to change anything other than the turbo because I want to be able to bring the car to the dealer for warranty work if I have to. So no intercooler or other fancy stuff.
I talked a bit already with George from Burger motorsport and he told me about turbos from pure and SRM, but It seems they are impossible to get in Europe.

I found the TTE710 but a lit worried about turbo lag, I don't want to drive a rallye car from the 80'

Anyone has already done that ?

Thanks !

If you're worried about warranty work then don't install a turbo. Anything engine related they'll deny as they can easily see how much boost the car was running on.

You can easily install parts then strip them off if you need to take car in for warranty, I've done that before. If it's a big job though (like blown engine) they will absolutely scrutinise everything and check engine data so you're screwed either way. The TTE710 also has a big metal plaque on the side saying The Turbo Engineers.

If you don't want lag go for a TTE5XX. It won't lag much more than stock.

Stay far away from Pure, I've known about 6 of them to catch on fire or fail in other ways. Also stay away from SRM, mine personally blew up in November as did 4 others. You can find the thread related to that on Audizine.

TTE and TurboSystems are the only hybrids I'll recommend for these cars.

Also, if you're installing a hybrid, don't use a JB4. Get it tuned otherwise it's pointless - this is coming from somebody who ran the SRM and JB4 for nearly a year. The JB4 can't help with increased timing or adding fuel so it ends up being a ****** experience overall. Stock turbo though the JB4 is fine if you want to 100% keep warranty.

I've just installed a TTE710 a couple of days ago and I'm installing an upgraded HPFP in two weeks time. This is tuned by EPL as they can tune remote through OBD. Super easy process and car should be making close to 600bhp on pump fuel with the HPFP upgrade.

As above very good information from somebody who obviously know what he is doing. Pointless fitting something like a TTE710 if you don't fit the supporting hardware.
Half baked attempts at getting more performance from the car will more likely end in tears and you then hoping that Audi will pick up the pieces with the warranty.

Reactions: WesT-gefül and Kondax
Thanks for the answer

Of course if they need to look under the metal plate protecting the turbo they will see but I was thinking about warranty work for other things :
IE my headlamp fails and needs replacing, they won't check the turbo. this kind of thing
turbo is less obvious than changing the intercooler I think.

Same reason for the JB4 instead of a tune, they can't see the JB4 if I put it off but TD1 is forever

I perfectly understand that it's not a perfect solution and that a tune + intercooler etc is better,
also that it's an expensive upgrade for just "60hp", I just want to know if it can run like that without issue

George from BMS told me the 510 + jb4 will add around 40hp compared to stock turbo + JB4 and 710 will add 60-70hp

Last edited:
A TD1 flag is related to powertrain warranty. Engine, gearbox, cat, exhaust etc. Doesn't affect warranty on body parts like headlights.
Do you plan on mapping the transmission??? Boost is limited on a TTE510 to protect the transmission . To get the performance at the top end you really need the other mods to be in place.Of course you will improve performance but will you really notice a great difference with another 40bhp and what issues are you going to run into with the car.

https://tteglobal.com/audi/s4/b9-3.0-v6-tfsi/302/tte510-3.0-tfsi-upgrade-turbocharger?c=93

Upload 2021 2 15 14 13 54

Reactions: Kondax
Completely agree with everything @desertstorm has said above.

Slapping a turbo on without any other supporting mods is useless and a waste of money, especially without any intercooler upgrade. It will be completely unusable and your IATs will be in the triple digits.

You're better off sticking to bolt ons if you don't want a tune, or do it the proper way and tune it. The JB4s for this platform aren't amazing reliable with hybrids and the majority of users have switched to a tune unless they're using it as a meth control.

I'm taking a Milltek 200 Cell downpipe off my S4 in two weeks if you want to buy it from me...

ok, I understand what you both are saying and thanks for the explaination.
Too bad I had a really good deal on the TTE 510 or 710

Will have a chat with the dealer about bolt ons
how much will I gain with a DP and intercooler though ?

@Boosted_Six well still don't know what I'll do but thanks for proposing

ok, I understand what you both are saying and thanks for the explaination.
Too bad I had a really good deal on the TTE 510 or 710

Will have a chat with the dealer about bolt ons
how much will I gain with a DP and intercooler though ?

@Boosted_Six well still don't know what I'll do but thanks for proposing
You can comfortably run 440bhp on 98/99 octane with a FMIC and DP.

If you run a hybrid turbo you'll want an oversized inlet such as the Carbnlabs inlet.

ok , I'm running on E40
so your advice is intercooler + inlet + dp ?
and even with that, still no hybrid with the jb4

a tune is not possible for me, car is warrateed 5 years and I don't want to mess that up

Regardless of whether or not you choose a JB4 or Tune, your warranty will still be denied if you have any engine faults. They can easily detect that.

Anything that isn't drive train related won't be affected.

I don't recommend running a hybrid with the JB4. It's a pretty poor experience and I'm not convinced the JB4 isn't what prematurely caused the failure of my SRM.

hardware insights and more on TTE710

Last edited: