1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HPI Clear cars which were written off

Arnie Jan 26, 2019

1. CarbonMike

CarbonMike Active Member Team Brilliant Black Audi A4 Black Edition quattro

There cheap to buy (damaged that is) relatively easy to fix (ebay flooded with parts, probably mostly stolen.lol) and sell for good money once repaired.

Do i agree with it ethically... no. Is it a good business model, of course. (Except the potentially not telling the customer its been in a shunt bit)

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. CarbonMike

CarbonMike Active Member Team Brilliant Black Audi A4 Black Edition quattro

Personally i think its more down to how insurance companies "report/record" a vehicle thats been damaged....

You crash, they pay out, cars is now theres to do as they please as theyve technically brought it off you...

Who do they report the "claim/purchase" too?
    Are they even legally bound to report it?

The car is now legally theres to do as they please....

So if neither of the above (what i suspect is the issue!) then surely they just truck the remains to the nearest CoPart yard and sell it for as much as they can to recuperate what they paid out to the now former owner of it.

4. K96

K96 New Member

Good work OP

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Arnie likes this.
  5. samisnake

samisnake Active Member

typed in my reg as you do, nearly shat a brick when i saw the salvage alert. paid the £4 to get the report and luckily the car was auctioned by a finance company as 'used'.
    looking at the previous owner list, the owner before it was auctioned only had the car 8 months, and the additional info section says the car had finance on it at auction time that was going to be paid off in 48 hours of the sale, so im guessing it was a repossesion?

either way, great site, and definitely gonna be using it next time i buy a car.

[​IMG]

Arnie likes this.
  6. Arnie

Arnie Member

7. Tj 0785

Tj 0785 Well-Known Member Silver Supporter VCDS Map User Bronze Supporter Audi S3

I suspect (I know it has just not how bad) my r32 Had been in a bang hpi checked as on finance but after having it the drivers seatbelt would beep like it’s not on until you tapped the buckle was driving me mad so connected to vcds to disable seat belt alarm and noticed the airbag deployed in red, now this cannot be cleared ( I’ve tried) once the airbag is deployed apparently, it’s staying up/ ever time I scan the car and I think it said crash sensor activated aswell to get the code to go I think you have to change the ecu

8. Arnie

Arnie Member

9. Arnie

Arnie Member