HPFP failure/testing

Reaction score
Traveling home yesterday engine light came on then drop in power until the car shut itself off - was on the motorway so not great then had to spend over and hour on hard shoulder waiting for a tow to get me home as car wouldn't start.
Battery is fine I believe its a fueling issue - so I can hear the pump prime, had the Fuel filter off, tested it by blowing through to ensure not blocked and refitted the 'IN' feed and turned ignition and a nice stream of fuel comes through the 'out' so this is fine also. Im thinking it might be the HPFP that's failed and not fueling the engine - is there a way to check? DO I unscrew the big nut on the bottom of the pump which I assume is the in feed and see if fuel comes through? What else can I check? Thanks

Last edited:
I removed the bleed valve and then turned the ignition to the first click and fuel came out in a nice stream so it’s making it that far - would this suggest the pump is knackered?

Did you remove the pump to check the follower condition?

No going to do that in the morning as didn’t have a T30 till this evening - checked faults codes as well since and non recorded which I thought was strange

I recently found a clients follower with a massive hole in, fuel pump end was worn down a little, maybe its lost fuel pressure due to this, definitely check this to be sure as the end result is inlet cam is fecked.

I recently found a clients follower with a massive hole in, fuel pump end was worn down a little, maybe its lost fuel pressure due to this, definitely check this to be sure as the end result is inlet cam is fecked.
Thank you will try and take pump off tme to inspect and go from there

CE35B307 0C6B 4935 BB8F 9CA50AFCA926
71FC3011 5194 40D1 A282 8516F4F58836
5B223B62 F200 4374 AFFE 98CED5180547

Although it has not worn through, I’d still replace it with a new genuine cam follower. Once the black coating has gone the metal underneath wears away quickly.
10Nm on the three torx holding the pump on. Do not over tighten.
The in feed for the pump is the rubber hose underneath. Sometimes rubber bits detach from the hose and block the in feed which has a diameter on a standard hpfp of about 1 mm. This happens especially if the pump has been detached from the hose before and then refitted.

Reactions: purdy1984
When u removed pump to take cam follower out did u look to see at end off pump where spring is that u had an O'ring

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

When u removed pump to take cam follower out did u look to see at end off pump where spring is that u had an O'ring

Yes the pump/spring part looked good no wear and o ring in place. The part of the cam in engine you can see once the follower removed also look good - no marks etc

This sounds like the issues u are having so might be worth testing
2c47ed2316c459f4d8e86b7418b7aa71.jpg

Apologies for the delay on this but still can’t get the car started. I replaced the fuel
Pressure sensor but still won’t start. Tried ignition on and off multiple times incase it was fuel draining back with it being stood and had another car connected to battery for extra power but it still won’t start. No codes are coming up when scanned just the esp see manual message when try and start engine. Also tried with maf disconnected but no joy

Having to us Carly as can’t get my
Other one to connect at the moment
See if you can borrow VCDS as some of the generic readers don't always display all the error codes in all the modules. If you give us a general idea where you are someone may be able to help scan the car with vcds.

Reactions: NHN
Are you getting fuel pressure from the lift pump under back seats.

I'd disconnect the supply pipe into the rail, put the pipe in a container that's secured & turn ignition on, don't start the car as the lift pump pressurises the system with ignition on.

See if you get a good pressured steam of fuel, if so turn of fast as it'll keep feeding fuel until it gets pressure & fuel will go everywhere, maybe ask another person to turn car on & of, just don't try to start it.

See if you can borrow VCDS as some of the generic readers don't always display all the error codes in all the modules. If you give us a general idea where you are someone may be able to help scan the car with vcds.
Im in Hucknall - Nottingham
Are you getting fuel pressure from the lift pump under back seats.

I'd disconnect the supply pipe into the rail, put the pipe in a container that's secured & turn ignition on, don't start the car as the lift pump pressurises the system with ignition on.

See if you get a good pressured steam of fuel, if so turn of fast as it'll keep feeding fuel until it gets pressure & fuel will go everywhere, maybe ask another person to turn car on & of, just don't try to start it.
ive taken the feed (metal one) off the hpfp and there is a good feed of fuel there so assume this is the same as the rest you’re suggesting?

Sorry I overlooked your initial posts about checking the fuel lines.

You need a better diag tool as you can't have an esp error without a logged code.

Are the injectors working, is there fuel on the cylinders, maybe remove a spark plug & with a torch or a cam from Amazon for £40 or so check inside with that for unburnt fuel which would suggest the injectors are firing so to speak.

Is there fuel getting to the injectors?

I'm still dealing with covid side effects tbh so I may repeat questions, apologies in advance.

Thank you going to try and get spark plug out tme if I can chance to see if fuel in there. And don’t worry I appreciate any suggestions so sooner say it twice than not at all

Had to give in and get it to garage. His initial thoughts are the heads gone but going to look into it more next week and strip it down but no looking good. Will update once know more