HPFP Cam Follower

hypes

Reaction score
Quick Q. I'm still learning so please be nice :) Is the HPFP Cam Follower part of the HPFP? If I were to upgrade the HPFP to say an APR HPFP, does this mean I do not need to replace the existing cam follower?

A garage has quoted me £150 to replace the current HPFP Cam Follower and surely it would be more sensible to upgrade the HPFP if it kills two birds with one stone so to speak?

Thanks

Cam follower sits between the cam lobe and the HPFP, sacrificial part. But it's best practice to at least inspect it as they are a service item..

You don't need to replace the cam follower to replace the HPFP, HPFP is only 3 bolts to replace it...

£150 Seems a lot for just changing the follower, albeit its a £30 ish part if replacing, maybe a 30 minute job!

How many miles has your car done? If its worn and breaks it can cause a lot of damage..

Cheers

Cam follower sits between the cam lobe and the HPFP, sacrificial part. But it's best practice to at least inspect it as they are a service item..

You don't need to replace the cam follower to replace the HPFP, HPFP is only 3 bolts to replace it...

£150 Seems a lot for just changing the follower, albeit its a £30 ish part if replacing, maybe a 30 minute job!

How many miles has your car done? If its worn and breaks it can cause a lot of damage..

Cheers

Car has done 94k - I'm not sure if it has ever been changed or not - I presume it has if it's a service item as car has FSH.

I just found / watched this video on YouTube and it looks an easy job. £150 seems way ott for this.

If there's no history specifically with regards to the follower, I'd be inclined to take a look. Especially if the cars mapped etc

If you look on r-tech's site they have a visual guide to wear on them -

http://r-techperformance.co.uk/2-0-tfsi-tuning/

£150 does sound a lot, but then you can replace the oil seal and the bolts too, but still, it wouldn't come in more than £45-50 id have thought.

Yep, easy job really...

Cheers

Reactions: James__S3
Get it changed, even for piece of mind. I changed mine that had done 73k and showed quite a bit of wear. Got my cam follower off eBay with a new HPFP o-ring seal and fitted myself, search for a video on it and will show exactly what to do, pretty straight forward. Only take you roughly an hour taking your time.

Don't pay to have it done. Especially that price anyway. Doesn't take long at all and its an easy enough job to be done yourself.

@mjr901 will get you all genuine parts. Cam follower, seal and bolts.

I had my cam follower replaced last Friday, for piece of mind. It cost £89 including the follower, o'ring, labour and VAT and took about 35 min (Greater London price). Now I've seen the process I'd do it myself next time but wasn't confident initially.

Last edited:
Easy to do and a must for the sake of thirty quid

What engine do you have? TSI engines don't have a cam follower ... Remember Audi badges TSI engines as TFSI models. Can't remember when the change happpened ...

Engine is a BWA - 2.0 TFSi 8p

I would do it yourself. I am a complete beginner with this sort of thing, but I took my time and it wasn't difficult at all.