HP Printer Quality is rubbish these days.

Charlie Farley

Chilling out.
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
So after 10 years ownership of my great HP inkjet printer it sadly died last week, probably just overworked..lol.
After a lot of consideration, I opted to stick with HP and invested in an all singing and dancing multifunction up to date color laserjet pro and curry's relieved me of £370 for said item.
It arrived today, unboxed it all ready to wackout some paperwork.

It looked the job and fits nicely in the designated place, things were looking good, powered it up .....and then it just stopped halfway through initialization with a polite message " Incompatible Product".

Ok I thought, just a setup function and trawled through the extensive manual all of 1 page, no help at all.
Went online and spent ages trawling HP tech support only to find out it is a regional issue and pretty well useless.
Not good frankly, brand new out of the box and won't even pass its 1st powerup self-test...
HP used to be really good kit, seems like they have become just another rubbish brand selling rubbish kit.

Needless to say, its going back tomorrow and I won't be getting another HP laserjet, and why are curry's selling products that are not specific to the region and market they are selling, as this problem is down to the printer and toners not being compatible and from non EU locations.

Any other quality color laserjets you guys can recommend, and that work first time out of the box.

I use a Brother Laser printer...had it five years, it prints around 50=100 sheets a day, apart from the very occasional paperjam, it hasn't skipped a beat.

I use it for everything from parcel labels to design briefs and have had no complaints over quality.

Little bit agriculturual with the menu and display, but if you can live with that, Brother is the way to go.

Reactions: Charlie Farley
I actually have an HP Laserjet, the MFP M281 FDW.

Been very happy with it. It was an eBay purchase (brand new, unused) about a year ago, less than half mrp.

Works perfectly, no issues, no drama. Have it hooked up to my home network, prints from my Macs and Windows machines, also has an app that allows me to send docs from my iPad and mobile for printing wirelessly.

My only gripe was it took them a little while to update the scanner drivers for my MACs, so had to manually scan docs for a couple of months.

Highly recommend it.
You may have had an issue, but there is a reason they are the No 1 business printer manufacturer in the world :footy:

Reactions: Charlie Farley
I actually have an HP Laserjet, the MFP M281 FDW.

Been very happy with it. It was an eBay purchase (brand new, unused) about a year ago, less than half mrp.

Works perfectly, no issues, no drama. Have it hooked up to my home network, prints from my Macs and Windows machines, also has an app that allows me to send docs from my iPad and mobile for printing wirelessly.

My only gripe was it took them a little while to update the scanner drivers for my MACs, so had to manually scan docs for a couple of months.

Highly recommend it.
You may have had an issue, but there is a reason they are the No 1 business printer manufacturer in the world :footy:

I've had a fair few HP printers laser and inkjet over the yers and without issues to be honest, wether new or used so when this all-singing one failed from the first switch on It wasn't a good start.
This one i am having issue with is the MFP M283FDW , it just wasn't having the installed toners full stop.
I spoke to HP and they said the toners were not compatible with the printer even though they were factory fitted, what's that all about, it would require reprogramming .
I wasn't having that with a new out of the box item, spoke to the retailer an they shipped out another one on a next day service, plugged it in and its fine.

I'm a bit happier but it is not something that should have happened really, HP stated it is a means of ensuring only genuine HP toners for the correct country are fitted , thus stopping owners buying in hp toners at lower cost from non EU etc sources also applies to non HP compatible toners.

I'll see how it goes for a few months.

cheers chaps.

Yeah, I’ve only had to change my black toner once, the rest are all sitting between 35~78% so will last a while yet.

the cost of OEM replacements are more tan I paid for the dam printer :readit:

Ive got the same printer: 283fdw and works great. Toners are the same ones they shipped with and apart from it dropping offline from its wireless occasionally its works. Got mine from JL when they had the £100 cash back

Pays yer money takes yer choice gets what yer pay for

Same with Audi's really: 2011 TT GREAT, 2011 RS3 GREATER, 2016 SQ5 DOES ALL!!!!!!

SQ5 Rotors

Each to their own....