How well undersealed is the 8V?

Relliott6879

Reaction score
A move to Gibraltar is on the cards around this time next year. A 'new arrivals' guide I've read mentions it being prudent to have one's car undersealed before coming, as the high salt content of the sea air is known to cause accelerated corrosion in cars. As our car is almost new, I'm just wondering if this is necessary, or is the factory anti-corrosion treatment (if there is any?) fairly robust?

Another concern is that the car will still be in warranty by that point and I don't want to find I've invalidated it by having Waxoyl or similar slathered all over the underside. Has anyone had this done to a car in the past and, if so, how careful are the people who do it? Is it literally just a coating of underseal over everything, or do they mask off things like shock absorbers and exhaust pipes first?

I'd say that advice is probably quite outdated now - modern techniques on new cars are pretty robust?

Reactions: Relliott6879
Someone here on ASN, an MOT inspector, posted recently "Audi's don't rust underneath": have to say in my own experience, suspension components (and rear brake bells on the Audi RS3 in particular) that they don't - just power wash the underside occasionally

Almost certainly void corrosion warranty if you coat the underside with anything.

I thought cars sold in the UK were already treated owing to the fact that salt is used on the roads?