How tough are the tiptronic box's?

gadgesxi

Reaction score
You read losts about the multitronic box not being very good, or prone to faults, but how good is the older tiptronic box?

Is the same box they use across the range of engines?

both are kinda "tiptronic".... multitronic/streptronic are the Audi names for them and when you first get in the car there's VERY little to tell them apart... newer multitronics have 7 virtual gears.... but if you leave them in drive you'll see the revs bobbing out of sync with changes in speed...

Which type of auto it is not based on age, more on engine type.

I know the re-mappers recommend not putting too much extra torque through the steptronic (regular auto), but if serviced well, I believe they're pretty reliable... not as good as a manual, but leagues ahead of the gen 1 multitronics...

Tiptronic is the conventional auto gearbox with the ability to shift to a manual sequential gearbox - mine has 5 fixed gears and of course reverse! Manual mode is not an immediate shift like today's DSG's.

Multitronic is based on a continually variable gear selection system using a chain and two variable diameter drive cogs, (in simple terms) - as Lostbok says they have "Viirtual" gears which forces the gear box drive cogs to a particular diameter to get a preselected gear ratio. Multitronic also offered the "manual" mode again by forcing ratios.
DAF brought this to the roads on cars back in the late 70's (DAF66 "Variomatic") where there were two rubber bands wrapped around variable diameter pulley's, DAF were taken over by Volvo who used it on the Volvo equivalents. Ford came along later with a metal chain version for the Fiesta, ..........and then Audi. On the DAF as the engineering was pretty simplistic, the gearstick was forward for forward and backwards for reverse and you could go as fast backward as you could forward!

Tiptronic is pretty bullet proof with regard to engine power, where as Multitronic was limited to a maximum engine power - not sure what this is?
An old price list I have from 2003 says Multitronic=2.0/2.0FSI/1.8T/2.4/1.9TDI(130)/2.5TDI(163), Tiptronic=3.0Q/2.5QTDI and Manual=S4

S6 and RS6 both run tiptronic gearboxes, which as Woorlord says are proper Autoboxes with manual selection control via the ECU. Plenty strong.

Multitronics are CVT boxes, and imo one to avoid.

problem with Multitronics is regarding the torque levels... later models (2006 onwards) have a different clutch setup to the the B6 ones as standard.

biggest problem vehicles are normally the 2.5TDI (only available on the 163bhp version) and 1.9TDI... with the lower spec'd 1.8T's also having Multitronic available and also being a problem...

there was a recall on the 2.5TDI's and there was some compensation with the earlier other models (mostly 1.9TDI) that had problems...

im having issues with 2.5 tdi v6 tiptronic box, can you explain further the following quote, need as much help as possible. thanlks in advance richard

problem with Multitronics is regarding the torque levels... later models (2006 onwards) have a different clutch setup to the the B6 ones as standard.

biggest problem vehicles are normally the 2.5TDI (only available on the 163bhp version) and 1.9TDI... with the lower spec'd 1.8T's also having Multitronic available and also being a problem...

there was a recall on the 2.5TDI's and there was some compensation with the earlier other models (mostly 1.9TDI) that had problems...

im having issues with 2.5 tdi v6 tiptronic box, can you explain further the following quote, need as much help as possible. thanlks in advance richard

My 2p is

2 wheel drive have multitronic regardless of engine
4 wheel drive (Quattro) have tiptronic

Reason 2.5 diesels have common failure rate is because of the torque of the engine, hence the upgrade to the clutch plates 5 to 6 I think, something like 230lb of torque, 1.8T has about 170lb of torque. around 230 must be the limit of the gearbox

Last edited:
Mine is a 2003 2.4V6 petrol multitronic; 170 bhp and 170 lb/ft of torque. Totally trouble-free. Just make sure the oil is changed every 40,000 miles, and clean the torque sensors periodically.

As mentioned above, 2 wheel drive had weak boxes-either tiptronic(wet multi plate clutch) or CVT, 4 wheel drive had strong ZF gearboxes with a conventional torque convertor. With auto gearboxes is not a matter of "if it will fail" but "when it will fail" ! You want strong auto boxes, buy a Merc or Bmw !

The only thing I can say is ever since the Daf CVT has been a problem. My sister in law had the volvo version and what a piece of junk belt used to regularly fly up the road and thats before driving it comes into consideration. I realise the Audi is light years from that in development terms but the very fact CVT has had issues for several decades without total resolution means it should have died with Daf. Its not for no reason that BMW and Merc dont use it, then Audi have to put false change points in enough said. Why take the risk.

The only thing I can say is ever since the Daf CVT has been a problem. My sister in law had the volvo version and what a piece of junk belt used to regularly fly up the road and thats before driving it comes into consideration. I realise the Audi is light years from that in development terms but the very fact CVT has had issues for several decades without total resolution means it should have died with Daf. Its not for no reason that BMW and Merc dont use it, then Audi have to put false change points in enough said. Why take the risk.

The reason it hasn't died is that it is a brilliant concept, and so much more intelligent a means of delivering an engine's work rate to the wheels than fixed change points. The only real problem with CVT is that van Doornes invented it 60 years too soon, before the material technology existed to make it work properly.

At a theoretical level your right of course, however Audi had to program in false gears because most punters dont like em. Sometimes theory and practice dont meet and this is an example as are hybrid vehicles

At a theoretical level your right of course, however Audi had to program in false gears because most punters dont like em. Sometimes theory and practice dont meet and this is an example as are hybrid vehicles

To me, that suggests a failure of punters' imagination rather than a failure of the technology. But in any event, the real reason the CVT has "false" gear ratios is to give it the same manual mode option (i.e. tiptronic) as the conventional auto. When the CVT is in its default automatic mode, there are no false ratios; it's seamless.

The reason it hasn't died is that it is a brilliant concept, and so much more intelligent a means of delivering an engine's work rate to the wheels than fixed change points. The only real problem with CVT is that van Doornes invented it 60 years too soon, before the material technology existed to make it work properly.

The technology is there and the materials are strong enough to make it work well. Its making-it cheap that's the problem and spending 5-10K on a gearbox does really bumps-up the overall price of a car. Thats why they fail...because VAG group build it for a third of the price it should be !

THEY ARE GREAT WHEN DOING THEIR JOB PROPERLY BUT DONT LAST, HOWEVER CARVERS TRANSMISSIONS IN MANCHESTER 0161 320 3400 NOW DO A FULL MODIFICATION REFURB FOR LESS THAN A GRAND ALL IN - THAT WILL LAST YOU 60-80K ITS WORTH IT

Shhhhhh.... No need to shout.