HOW TO- Wire in an accessory feed for stereo upgrade

Paul_TDi

Reaction score
So firstly I cannot take credit for my knowledge on how to do this I have merely done as instructed by a greater knowledge (RIP) and taken a few pics along the way to make a more idiot proof how to for numpties like myself.

The late AndyMac is entitled to full credit outlining the process here

I have a 2003 A4 and quickly learnt that my fancy new stereo wouldn't turn on due to the lack of an accessory feed. I went to a local car audio place and they put in a switched live feed, so the stereo would only be on when engine is on, but I'm sure like most there's quite a few times when your sitting waiting for something with music on, engine off.

What you need-
8mm ratchet.
scotch locks/piggy back links or soldering iron
wire
4 pin 12v relay (I bought this one) Mainly because I could pick it up that day.
4x female spade crimp terminals (or more solder)

Step one-
Remove the fuse cover using your key. Remove 3 8mm bolts, 1 is top left to the fuse box. then 2 are lower down the lower cowling below the service book holding slot. Once these 3 bolts are out the cowling will come away, use some pressure near the ignition barrel and the other side of the steering wheel to release the cowling. The diagnostics port easily unclips from the panel.

Step 2-
Remove the other 2 8mm bolts by the fuse box so this then becomes free. You then un hinge the back of the fuse board to get at the wires.

I used a multimeter to find a permanent live feed for the relays power.

Stripped a bit of the insulation back, then soldered in a similar thickness wire

Step 3-

To the left of the steering column there is some plastic trunking. Open it up (from the left hand side) and spread out the wires, you should find a little red wire.

Again I checked to make sure I had the right wire with my multimeter, stripped back some insulation and soldered in a similar thickness wire.

Step 4-

Run 2 wires from the back of the stereo area to the fuse box area. They should be similar thickness to the power feed wire from the fuse board. I have a black wire which goes to the ground of the stereo (there stereos harness will most likely have a black wire as ground. I had a red wire from the car audio shops work that goes to my stereos yellow switched live.

Sorry no pics of them

You should then have 4 wires flapping about by the fuse box.

So now either add crimped terminals to each wire to connect to the relay (easiest) or if you don't have crimps solder them to the relay as follows....

#30 Permanent 12v live in from fuse box
#85 Ground from black wire in stereo
#86 Switched source from steering column
#87 Switched live in to head unit

Insulation any solder joints/bare wire with some tape and cable tie any wires by moving parts to make sure they don't get caught up.

I then cable tied my relay above the fuse box-

Put your car back together and then you should be able to do this....

Thats right! Engine off and radio on, Hurray!

Please note, you follow my guide at your own risk and I take no responsibility for you screwing it up!

There's really no need for a relay, just a single wire from one of the thick wires in the fusebox & then insert a line fuse with something like a 2amp fuse. If you want a permanent live go into the thick red or for an ignition feed one of the thick blacks or black/yellow.

Unfortunately there is no accessory feed from the fuse box only switched or permanent.

So you can either turn your stereo on and off manually with permanent live or only have stereo on with engine running on switched live.

The relay is to take the instruction from the small wire in the steering column which is too small to power the stereo.

The whole point of the above is so your stereo stays on until you remove the key.

It does now.

Didn't before as it just had a switched live feed. So only on when engine on.

The standard stereo got the key in/out information from the canbus system.

Unfortunately not. It's 2000 onwards b6 that don't have it apparently.

Have a read of andymacs thread I link to.

There's always a way to overcome a problem, just might take a bit more googling than some!

Very good write up mate and thanks for the effort of documenting it so well. I wish more people spent the time to share their "learnings" :)

Mine will turn on without key in the ignition. It's a 2002 model. Was yours not the same?
It does turn off when I turn my engine off and remove key but I just press power button and on it comes again.

What stereo do you have S4_dan?

Cheers leshkin, thanks for all your help. I try and document with pics when I do do a mod then create a guide if I think it will be useful.

Just an update...

For those not wanting to fiddle about with the cars wiring then you can buy one of these looms

A little pricey but it does what it says on the tin, I bought it recently due to my Connects2 loom barely giving any work to the rear speakers, thus I blew a front speaker as all the pressure was on them.

Reactions: leshkin
I used CT53-AU03, yes the CTSAD008.2 does look the same to what I have bought from Enfig, although it doesn't describe the key features of enfig, I believe Car-Tec sell one similiar too.

I was drawn to Enfig as they advertise the loom having the HILO converters into ensure the rears get used.

Btw....don't use the MHL lead anymore, changed phones and couldn't be bothered to root it. Even when I did use the connection was so temperamental, 1 bump in the road and connection was lost.

Ah nice, Enfig's looms look like good quality - I was about to buy one of theirs before finding s UK supplier of similar kit.

I also moved away from the Pioneer unit all-together... Got an Android unit and am very pleased with how it worked out :)

Here is a thread that talks about it - http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/android-rns-e.248150/

Super-nice unit for the money and no need to do anything on the phone other than enable tethering :)

Reactions: DrStrange
WOW! you really don't do sound by halfs. Yer no need to do anything on the phone.....

I'm now completely content with mine. Now that the rears and sub are working properly I got enough bass to shake the dirt off the car.

Very good write up mate and thanks for the effort of documenting it so well. I wish more people spent the time to share their "learnings" :)
Help I am a new member don't know how to post I have an s3 1999 can any one show me what wires go where when wiring in a stereo the previous owner cut all the brown speaker wires any Gerry rigged the subwoofer plug the plug with the power feed etc seems OK as the stereo goes on apart from that I am snookered sorry to message like this

Can anyone tell me how to make a post I need help wiring in a stereo to my s3 the previous owner has made a mess of the wiring managed to get a wiring diagram but it doesn't show colours or what wire is what just gives numbers if anyone could take a picture showing the wiring set up into the three plugs please help