How to wash a lambswool mitt?

JAM35F

Reaction score
I bought a lambswool mit as part of a wash kit from polished bliss but after only three uses it's ruined.

After use I washed it gently on a 30degree wash with it placed in a 'net bag' to avoid any potential snags in on the inside of the drum. But it's now in pieces, looks like the rubber on the inside split or perished.

Hence it's useless and will have to be thrown and replaced. What did I do wrong? I didnt snag it while washing the car and I have a tougher meguiars microfibre mit for wheels etc so it was only ever used on smooth paintwork and glass.

If they are all going to fall apart like this after three uses I'll save my money and use something else.

I bought a lambswool mit as part of a wash kit from polished bliss but after only three uses it's ruined.

After use I washed it gently on a 30degree wash with it placed in a 'net bag' to avoid any potential snags in on the inside of the drum. But it's now in pieces, looks like the rubber on the inside split or perished.

Hence it's useless and will have to be thrown and replaced. What did I do wrong? I didnt snag it while washing the car and I have a tougher meguiars microfibre mit for wheels etc so it was only ever used on smooth paintwork and glass.

If they are all going to fall apart like this after three uses I'll save my money and use something else.

I wash mine @40 deg. using non bio wash liquid and no drying cycle. I place it in an old pillow case tied at the end. Take out while wet and leave to dry naturally.

In the past i tried the net bags....................they dont work and the washing machine drum tears chunks out of the wash mitt.

My Megs mitt has never been near a washing machine. I just rinse it thoroughly with fresh water after use.

The annoying thing is Polished Bliss advise to wash the mit in the way I did. As an extra precaution I put it in a net bag in the machine.

When I next purchase one I plan not to put it near a machine and leave it to soak in a bucket of clean water after use.

Megs weave mits are basically like bathroom towels so can take washing easily but I'll be cautious with this in future too, probably just soak it too.

Strange - I throw all my megs wash mitts in the washer - wash all the car gear together ie wheel mitt (after rinsed it out) and the drying towel. Always use non bio and then let it dry naturally. Dont bother with the bag or pillow - but I've never noticed that my washer takes chunks out of clothes !

Richard

Strange - I throw all my megs wash mitts in the washer - wash all the car gear together ie wheel mitt (after rinsed it out) and the drying towel. Always use non bio and then let it dry naturally. Dont bother with the bag or pillow - but I've never noticed that my washer takes chunks out of clothes !

Richard

We do the exact same thing to be honest, never had any problems!

The megs mit washes fine as it's basically a towel.

The lambs wool mit was the problem and one that not just I have, Japper did too.

My washing machine is new, expensive and doesn't wreck any of my clothes so it's not the machine that is at fault.

The megs mit washes fine as it's basically a towel.

The lambs wool mit was the problem and one that not just I have, Japper did too.

My washing machine is new, expensive and doesn't wreck any of my clothes so it's not the machine that is at fault.

As Clark says, this is very odd; we wash half a dozen of our lambswool mitts at the end of every working week in our home washing machines, and I can honestly say I have never seen a mitt of ours suffer in this way. Typically, our mitts last around 3 months each before getting too ropey for safe use, but bear in mind they get used a lot more than in a domestic setting. All I can think is that either (i) you received a faulty mitt prone to premature failure, or (ii) that it is something to do with your machine (was it quite full or quite empty? - I ask because when I wash our mitts it is full, and I wonder if this may protect them more against the action of the drum?). If you send the failed mitt back to me I'll inspect it with a view to issuing a replacement FOC if I can find any signs of fault with it - lambswool mitts should last 6+ months in domestic settings, so you are right to be miffed with the premature failure. Pop it back to me and I'll see what I can do for you. :icon_thumright:

That's very good of you and I do appreciate your offer. Unfortunately it got thrown away in a fit of annoyance.

I only noticed the two inch split after setting up for a car wash session, soap buckets made up, hose out etc. I decided to carry on and it seconds it fell to pieces totally leaving we with a soapy roof and no way to carry on. I think I threw it at our bin uttering various expletives. My girlfriend told me to return it but I didnt think I'd be believed saying it had just fallen apart. So it is no longer with me to return.

Understand that you therefore can't inspect it, my fault on that one I guess.

Never had a problem with my washing machine as it's new and Bosch (expensive) and hasn't ruined anything else. But we'll never know for sure I suppose.

Machine was probably fairly full, only car cleaning bits, two microweave drying towels, two megs drying towels, two poorboys buffing cloths, a megs hand wash mit and the lambswool mit. Mit and poorboys cloths were in a net wash bag to protect them as I use with other 'delicates'.

Anyway, who knows, cheers for your offer, it's appreciated, but I don't have it to return anymore.

Doh! Well, seeing that trust is a two way thing, drop me an e-mail with the last four digits of your order number and I'll see what I can do anyway. :icon_thumright:

Email has been sent, many thanks for your help and offer. Hugely generous.

Received a parcel this morning, huge thanks to Rich at Polished Bliss. Fantastic customer service that can't be faulted. Mega generous and I'm very grateful.

Free plug: If anyone reading this is debating about where to buy cleaning products, in my opinion Polished Bliss can't be faulted. Expert knowledge and advice before you buy and outstanding after sales...

cheers Rich

Received a parcel this morning, huge thanks to Rich at Polished Bliss. Fantastic customer service that can't be faulted. Mega generous and I'm very grateful.

Free plug: If anyone reading this is debating about where to buy cleaning products, in my opinion Polished Bliss can't be faulted. Expert knowledge and advice before you buy and outstanding after sales...

cheers Rich

Agreed. Nobody does it better.

Cheers guys, but you are all very welcome - business is a two way thing, and I like to think that if we look after you all as well as we can, then you will all look after us in return and support our business. Think karma! :)

Very useful post, thanks all.

I have had exactly the same problem, having previously had 2 washmits from Halfords so far and reading the above decided to order one from Polished Bliss noting their comments about guaranteeing their mits. :)

I have placed the previous ones into a wash along with a microfibre wash mitt (wheels) and waffle weave towel, all at 30 degrees and whilst the non wool products survive perfectly, the wool mit generally lasts about 20 car washes(machine washes too).

Bit frustrated at this experience, so hopefully will be a thing of the past.

I'm not surprised at the excellent service from Polished Bliss.

I always rinse my mitt out with a hose then let it dry naturally. Use it every week and had it for nearly a year.

Very useful post, thanks all.

I have had exactly the same problem, having previously had 2 washmits from Halfords so far and reading the above decided to order one from Polished Bliss noting their comments about guaranteeing their mits. :)

I have placed the previous ones into a wash along with a microfibre wash mitt (wheels) and waffle weave towel, all at 30 degrees and whilst the non wool products survive perfectly, the wool mit generally lasts about 20 car washes(machine washes too).

Bit frustrated at this experience, so hopefully will be a thing of the past.

Around 20 washes is quite normal to be honest, which equates to the six months or so of weekly washes I quoted above. You do have to remember that wool mitts are natural products, and therefore slowly degrade as they go through wetting and drying cycles. To get a year of regular use out of a wool mitt is some going!

I'm not surprised at the excellent service from Polished Bliss.

I'll second that. Top class service for all their customers. I had some stuff sent to Spain and after the postal service here destroyed one package, Rich sent over a replacement BEFORE he recieved the original one back. I wouldn't use anyone else. :applaus: