How to update MMI Sat Nav without going to the Audi dealers?

A4A4

Owner of a Shiny Daytona
Reaction score
My SAT NAV is a couple of years out of date now and I'm looking into ways to update this.

Audi charge a small fortune for the latest update, so forget that.

My current sat nav version is :8R0060884BK ECE 6.17.3

What are the alternative options to update this?

Reactions: GloGiacomina
There are ways to do it (according to Google) but it takes a damn long time and there is a risk of bricking your unit so I've not attempted it. I do wish it was easier!

I done mine at home, you will need a battery charger and quite some time.

Does anyone have any experience of using this company?

Sort of..

I enquired about updating my system and the guy was really helpful, very knowledgeable and seemed the real deal. The only reason I didn't go ahead with them was because I was really after the post code input functionality that I seen the Hazzy Days update brings (albeit for much more money).

After speaking with him on e-mail, he said it was my choice, but that the official Audi updates that he supplies don't add post code functionality, and questioned how Hazzy Days were adding this in without some kind of unsupported code modification.

In the end Hazzy Days said someone would come back to me but didn't, and I forgot all about it! I think I'll get back in touch with him thinking about it!

Hope that helps.

Reactions: Trekkercun and jdp1962
My 13 and 15 B8.5 both have full post code functionality

Updated my mmi and maps twice myself using links found on the internet. Did have one issue the first time but was able to sort it out.

Seems no easy way to do this then, so might just leave it and buy a updated road atlas for back-up.

For a Fiver!

Reactions: jdp1962
Seems no easy way to do this then, so might just leave it and buy a updated road atlas for back-up.

For a Fiver!
I do still keep a big road atlas in the car. A satnav great for telling you how to get somewhere, but if you're on holiday, you need an atlas to help you decide where you're going today.

Reactions: scotty76 and rum4mo
I do still keep a big road atlas in the car. A satnav great for telling you how to get somewhere, but if you're on holiday, you need an atlas to help you decide where you're going today.
Still recall the AA road atlas for France defeating two supposedly up to date sat navs when we set off down a new dual carriageway. :D

A note for anyone with the HD based 3g+ high system is the HD needs partioning to get the latest nav on it.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

A note for anyone with the HD based 3g+ high system is the HD needs partioning to get the latest nav on it.

Where did you get that info? I haven't heard about that

Where did you get that info? I haven't heard about that
Audi master tech. We had to do it to mine a couple of months ago

There is a technical bulletin for it. Some issue with B&O when you do firmware and nav. I went from 13 to 16

just to slightly add to this, i got around to mailing my dealer asking for the price of a new map disc for my car. they came back w/ a quote of £291. i asked if this was a typo, detailing i just wanted a disc, not a software upgrade etc, and they said it wasn't it included an hour's labour [?!?!] and £186 for the disc itself. needless to say, i've mailed Audi Uk for their comments.

Reactions: Fatbloke
just to slightly add to this, i got around to mailing my dealer asking for the price of a new map disc for my car. they came back w/ a quote of £291. i asked if this was a typo, detailing i just wanted a disc, not a software upgrade etc, and they said it wasn't it included an hour's labour [?!?!] and £186 for the disc itself. needless to say, i've mailed Audi Uk for their comments.
Broadly similar to me. £168 for the SD but labor was goodwill

Shame we don't get the same as A3/S3 owners with the tech pack.

Jealous now. They get 5 free map updates!

bit of a p155-take when you buy a £30k car, yet if i go buy a TomTom for less than the cost quoted me, apparently i'd get free updates!
getting total evasion from my dealer as to the cost or why they want an hour's labour from me, waiting to hear from Audi UK at the mo.

Reactions: Fatbloke, scotty76 and Lavis89
Started my update today. Toke about 2hrs to get the up to date firmware done I now have to upload the new maps which I will probably do on Monday.

Before

After

Reactions: Nilz and skiptowncat
bit of a p155-take when you buy a £30k car, yet if i go buy a TomTom for less than the cost quoted me, apparently i'd get free updates!
getting total evasion from my dealer as to the cost or why they want an hour's labour from me, waiting to hear from Audi UK at the mo.
Yep. Quite happy with £14.99 a year for Tomtom and up to date maps. :D

turns out Audi UK don't give a sht, said it's up to the dealers to charge what they want. so my dealers want an arm and leg and won't confirm why i need to pay for labour, and Audi UK don't care about the franchises that are representing their product. no wonder people opt for pirated products.

Reactions: A4A4
turns out Audi UK don't give a sht, said it's up to the dealers to charge what they want. so my dealers want an arm and leg and won't confirm why i need to pay for labour, and Audi UK don't care about the franchises that are representing their product. no wonder people opt for pirated products.

The only reason I wanted built in SAT NAV as a option was to get away from mobiles & tom tom's stuck all over the place. Hate this in cars.

But this seems to be the only way now, as least for backup for any new roads.

No way I'm going to pay Audi to update my MMI.

Reactions: Fatbloke
The only reason I wanted built in SAT NAV as a option was to get away from mobiles & tom tom's stuck all over the place. Hate this in cars.

But this seems to be the only way now, as least for backup for any new roads.

No way I'm going to pay Audi to update my MMI.
Had built in, in my last bmw and to be honest don't miss it. Magnetic air vent mount for mobile. Brilliant bit of kit.

Sent from my Note 4 using tapatalk

Attachments

• IMG_5117.JPG
    IMG_5117.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 2,584
Got this from Audi uk
"Having spoken with Stuart Thompson, Parts Advisor from Norwich Audi, he confirmed that the cost to update your satellite navigation will be RRP 225.00 GBP including VAT and labour. This will be a 2016 update as the 2017 is not available at this time; however, it is due to be released in the next couple of months"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kings lynn Audi:
"The cost of updating the Sat nav is £250 Inc. However this is for the 2016 update, the 2017 update should be out soon, so I would wait until that comes out before updating your system."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So Audi dealers don't yet have 2017 maps, but third party retrofit suppliers do. How strange.

Did my mums car over the weekend. Updated her 3G Plus MMI system to FW version K942 & the latest 2017 maps version 6.24.2

You will need VCDS to clear the errors and code the adaptation for the errors which show up due to the system not being able to verify with the Audi servers. Took about 1 hour for the FW update and 1.5 hours for the maps. You need to have the car running or connected to a charger the entire time so that he battery voltage doesn't drop and cut out mid-update.

All available from here....

http://www.a5oc.com/forums/a5-general-q/113737-mmi-3g-3gp-navigation.html

What if there was a way to completely bypass symphonys, concerts, MMI2/3G Highs & Lows, etc and (almost) instantly upgrade your B8 to a B9:

http://cloud.tapatal...ist(public).pdf

I've been following Daniel's progress for some time and what he has achieved almost single handedly is nothing short of exceptional... Have a look...

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk