How to tighten my wiper arm?

Brad89

Reaction score
Hi all

My drivers side windcreen wiper leaves a really annoying smudge right in my line of sight. Ive tried a new wiper but thats not the problem. Its not got enough pressure against the windscreen. Hence it leaves this annoying smudge in the middle. I cant work out how to tighten the spring in it. Can someone please help?

You might just require a replacement due to wear and tear of the part - have you priced a new one from Audi?

You could try and see if the actual arm requires tightening - at the bottom of the arm, there is a small cap covering a 13mm nut (as far as I remember) give that a wee tweak and see if it helps.

Yeah I wanted to try and tighten it and see if that made a difference before i went for a new one. I just didnt know how to! So would i pop off that cap with a screwdriver (seems to be on there pretty tight)? And tighten that screw. Would that tighten the tension on it?

There will be a small recess on the cap so get a small flat head and just pop it off - you will find that the nut holding the wiper blade on will probably be solid anyway but just to make sure incase it has loosened - doubtfull though as the whole arm would be all over the place.

I suspect the spring has either broken or lost its spring/elasticity so I would definately ring about a replacement, especially in this crappy weather!

The springs don't really wear out as such, but it could be not returning all the way back down if it has corrosion or a build up of crud.

Put the wiper in the service position and lift the arm, give the spring a good old squirt or WD40 (or whatever you have) to clean the crud out (the spring is stretched at this piont so the spray will get between the coils)

This may or may-not work, but woth a try.

Hi,

I was having this problem and took your advice. It turned out the hinge on the arm was slightly seized. A liberal spray of WD40 sorted this out and I can now see where I am driving without having to bend double!

Phil