1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

How to test exhaust valves are working?

quattrorally Jan 30, 2020

1. quattrorally

quattrorally Registered User

Anyone know how i can test my valves are opening/closing?

it's a pre-facelift.

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. george forbes

george forbes Registered User

Start the car in comfort and only the two exhaust on the inside should be open. Then switch to dynamic and you should hear a slight “click” and the exhaust tone getting deeper as well as all four exhausts being open.

This should be done in park since the valves will be closed until 3.000rpm even in Dynamic mode. Whereas in park in Dynamic mode the valves are open and closed in Comfort.

Lehn likes this.
  4. Flying Scotsman

Flying Scotsman Registered User

Start in park and move to drive and then pull back the the transmission lever to S mode. The two valves will now open and you can check this by putting your hand behind each of the four exhaust openings and you should feel air from all openings. Pull the transmission lever back again to enter D mode only two openings should now be operating. If not the valves have been coded open all the time.
    Dynamic affects the soundakator not the valves. S mode leaves the valves open at all RPM's

Note: The parking brake must be set to do this or have another person to check the air flow from the exhaust pipes.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
  5. quattrorally

quattrorally Registered User

seems im getting air from all exhausts at all times.

hard to tell though....

shifting into S whilst in park does result in a louder sound but not sure if it's just because of the higher revs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. AlS3BE

AlS3BE Registered User

Do what flying Scotsman said and get a small rod and stick it up the exhaust pipes. there will be something in the way if the valves are closed.

7. 123Quattro

123Quattro Guest

Not sure if it is the same on S3s as on RS3's, but on mine if. park next to a wall or in my garage, with the ignition on but the car not running if I switch between comfort and dynamic I can hear the valves open and close easily with the windows down or door open. Give it a try?