How to test boost pressure with car stationary

Stuart B

Reaction score
We all know that revving the engine when car is in neutral creates no boost pressure, but when I fit my FMIC I want to check all the hoses and clamps are good before refitting bumper and going for a drive, after having to fix them back on on the side of the road.

What is the best way to test boost without causing damage? I'm thinking about clamping the N75 to actuator pipe? It will only be to test they don't pop off at 20psi.

Thanks

We all know that revving the engine when car is in neutral creates no boost pressure, but when I fit my FMIC I want to check all the hoses and clamps are good before refitting bumper and going for a drive, after having to fix them back on on the side of the road.

What is the best way to test boost without causing damage? I'm thinking about clamping the N75 to actuator pipe? It will only be to test they don't pop off at 20psi.

Thanks
Side of the road "spannering" is all part of the fun! Don't miss out...you may regret it

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Doubt it will work as your still not putting any load on the engine and therefore no meaningful hot exhaust gasses into the turbine.

Go for a drive with the bumper off.

+1 drive with bumper off, bead end of pipes and you JSC high grips.

If you use swaged ended tubes and proper clips that actually give you feedback as to how tight it tight and make sure all surfaces are clean and not oily you shouldn't need to actually worry...

As for generating boost statically... you need load as well as RPM... this means essentially flooring the throttle to get air through the engine... obvs if you try this you will be bouncing of the limiter in no time... this may not make you very popular and may not actually make any boost (never actually tried it surprisingly)...

As you have the ability to alter your map you could try playing with the limiters and flash a map with a 4k rpm hard limit... might work and would be less harmful to your neighbours...

Other than that... man up princess and drive the car up the road :)

...don't forget your 7mm ;)

<tuffty/>

Reactions: scotty_24
but I don't want to get my cords and cardigan dirty when the hoses pop off :) - okay that's fine. I might try the upside down FMIC fitment as the "fitting kit" I originally got had "sort of" j tubes and after seeing Prawn's use of an old exhaust clamp to create a raised edge I'm inspired.

I did nearly comment that the rear seat delete and TTQS replacement stability bar looks like somewhere I could hang my paisley shirts.

its actually quite a nice car, I need to not wear trousers with buttons on pockets though as I am too old to get into the seats without sliding on the bolster.

Incidentally, did anyone ever get the standard Haldex flashed with blue+ map - the cost looks similar to actually buying one or a HPA - just looks like the sort of thing Ian might have solved for a £10 cable.

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/mk1-tt-225-track-day-car.319422/#post-3050778
I use some home made plugs to block the hoses at each end of the intercooler run. The one end has a Schrader car tyre valve in it so I can connect a pump up. Pressurise to 25 PSI and check for hissing. Going by Bills recommendation I used JCS Hi Grip clips and they do work well. Still had a boost hose pop off on the way to get the car mapped, Haven't had it come loose since after I enlarged the bead on the end of that pipe.
If they do and you have to drive it disconnect the MAF it drives better.
Maybe revisiting the intercooler piping on mine after I removed the battery I can ditch the piping that runs around the battery.

Thanks I found that when a hose popped off the intercooler etc the car just didn't run at all, it would start and then stop straight away I might try unplugging the MAF if it happens again.

+1 for the baked beans can style tool with a tyre valve. Works great.
Invite a boy who likes boys that vapes to fill the system with vape and quickly chuck your beans can into the pipe to seal it.
Get your foot pump out and pressure the system up and look for the vape coming out !

I need to sort out the front left light at the same time - I will be a lot happier if I can reduce the connectors. what I found in the S3 was I lacked confidence on boost after the pipes popped off then I lacked confidence with boost after a silicon hose literally popped (although was cheap crap)

has anyone tried using hairspray to help bond the hoses to the pipes.

I need to sort out the front left light at the same time - I will be a lot happier if I can reduce the connectors. what I found in the S3 was I lacked confidence on boost after the pipes popped off then I lacked confidence with boost after a silicon hose literally popped (although was cheap ****)

In all seriousness dude... if the ends of the hard pipes have a proper bead on them (and I don't mean a tweak up with a pair of pliers) and decent clips that give you feedback to being tight and not getting the click of death then they will not pop off ever!..

This is all I have used on my car... JCS hi-grips and bead rolled ends... I run 30psi and all the airflow you can shake a stick at and have never had a pipe come off...

No fancy tricks like hair spray... clean mating surfaces, beads that are actual beads and decent clips you can tighten in confidence..

Once you have a few heat cycles in the silicon then go round them again... the silicon relaxes with heat making them a little looser

<tuffty/>

Trust you to bring up 'hairspray'...we won't have that talk round here,it's gel or nothing :yes:

Reactions: hydro s3 and SamHendry
Short back and sides and a light trim on top please stuart

I've got some dog trimmers so I can give you all a DNA if you want, £30

I've got some dog trimmers so I can give you all a DNA if you want, £30

You're not coming anywhere near me until I see you in possession of all of these...

Level 3 Diploma in Barbering
Level 3 Diploma in Women's Hairdressing
Level 3 Diploma in Hairdressing for Colour Technicians
Level 3 Diploma in Hairdressing for Cutting and Styling Technicians

You might be lucky and find the previous owner has left a copy of them in the glovebox!

Reactions: Erikn89nl and <tuffty/>