How to tell if TFSI already has a map on it?

Loco

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm unable to speak to the previous owner, but I do have the ODB reader and associated software to be able to scan codes/check engine output figures, etc.

The car seems pretty spritely, but I don't have a non-mapped TFSI to compare it to. I've been in a stock S3, and I can tell it's much less punchier than that!
I don't want to throw a fistful of cash at the dealer only for the car to come back the same as when I dropped it in.

So, how can I check if the engine has been mapped? My thoughts were along the lines of finding a boost reading in there somewhere, and seeing what RPM it kicks in, or the boost pressure figure it goes up to, etc.

Reading around, people seem to say you can just feel that the car's fast, but my other car is a 1000cc superbike, so the TFSI is always going to feel tame!

Thanks, all.

also depends on what engine it is as not all 2.0tfsi engines fitted to the A4 B7 variants are the same.
also the S3 is a smaller car than an A4 so not really an even field to start with, also is your DV in good condition as that is a weak point and let the engine performance down a lot.....to be honest there are a few variable to consider if your car feels a bit under powered.

Last edited:
Or just take to your nearest tuner with a dyno, you'll get a spot on figure then and it will indicate wether yours in standard or tuned.

Thanks, yeah measuring the HP would be a givaway, but I wanted to save some dollar and check electronically since I have the tools.

I've fixed up all the weak points of the engine: fuel pump cam follower, replaced DV with new one, new inlet manifold flapper motor, cleaned up re-circulation system etc. The engine's (now - after some work) running perfectly, freshly serviced, and with no fault codes.

It's the lower powered 200HP variant (BGB from memory) - the model after came with 217HP I believe.

I was hoping for a surefire way I can see signs of chipping. More advanced ignition timing/boost pressure differences/fueling figures at certain RPM, etc. etc.

maybe if you had access to the factory data and engine parameters you could run VCDS and compare that data with actual live data that is being reported via VCDS.