how to tell if my car has been mapped

s3_sid

Reaction score
right guys i put my s3 on a dyno the other day it did 3 power runs and it was run in 4wd and it made 354 325 and 308 hp all at the flywheel , are the original figures quoted at the wheels as my 308hp run works out to about 255 hp at the wheels but you can see on the graph where the haldax disengaged and the power curve drops off then picks back up

i think they probably give better result on the dyno in 2wd ? i was going to pull the fuse and run it again but it was a busy day

Thats a big variation in power, think the intercooler must have get well and truly heat soaked. Manufacturer figures are always BHP so measured at the engine flywheel.

Karl

yeah heat soak will have been a big issue as it was a new rr the fan was very under sized ! and they are replacing it but obviously dosent help me , but i would guess with these figure i have a car thats been mapped or haldax is doing funny things to the dyno ! it dosent feel super fast its the only s3 i have driven so cannot pass comment

yeah heat soak will have been a big issue as it was a new rr the fan was very under sized ! and they are replacing it but obviously dosent help me , but i would guess with these figure i have a car thats been mapped or haldax is doing funny things to the dyno ! it dosent feel super fast its the only s3 i have driven so cannot pass comment

Even your lowest figure is above 300bhp,so it's reasonable to assume that it's been mapped.

The Haldex can do odd things on a dyno,but generally speaking will result in lower figures than you would see on the road,and as to speed,the S3 is quite a heavy car at 1500kgs,so even an average of 330bhp is "only" 220bhp/tonne,and not a lot better than say a Renault Megane RS.

I would also assume it has been mapped but going from 350 down to 308 is a bit concerning! Maybe go another run on the dyno or see if you can get plugged into vagcom and check your airflow readings

If you saw the fan they used you would understand ! It was probably no bigger than 20 inch which considered me ! I think its a heat soak issue

But the problem I have is that the car has no induction kit. exhaust or anything in it its all standard to my knowledge

I only have the dyno print out for my 308 hp run but I am getting the other 2 emailed over so I'll put them up once I have them

If you saw the fan they used you would understand ! It was probably no bigger than 20 inch which considered me ! I think its a heat soak issue

But the problem I have is that the car has no induction kit. exhaust or anything in it its all standard to my knowledge

I only have the dyno print out for my 308 hp run but I am getting the other 2 emailed over so I'll put them up once I have them

All of those factors would fit together nicely.

Heat soak,lack of CAI and stock exhaust.

You can run Stg2 software without either a CAI or proper exhaust system,but obviously that will strangle the car somewhat.
It's quite possible that the previous owner may have had all those parts,and removed them to sell the car,but left the map on.

Yeah that's my thoughts as well Alex. well once I pull my finger out and get some parts I will re run it and see

Well I don't know what it's had done ! As I got it from a used car dealer who just said it seems to go a bit better than a standard one ! Would be nice to find out what's been done