How to swap plastic for leather door arm rests?

Spinstorm

Reaction score
I have picked up 4 door cards with red stitched arm rests; looking at the diagram below (item 4) it seems like the top of the arm rests might pop off and I might be able to simply swap them over.

Has anyone done this? or know if this is correct? and if it is how do you remove the top part?

Attachments

• 936A29C7-B3F7-4B39-BFF1-02530C7C2F8E.png
    936A29C7-B3F7-4B39-BFF1-02530C7C2F8E.png
    170 KB · Views: 174
I have picked up 4 door cards with red stitched arm rests; looking at the diagram below (item 4) it seems like the top of the arm rests might pop off and I might be able to simply swap them over.

Has anyone done this? or know if this is correct? and if it is how do you remove the top part?
Most of the parts mounted to the dooryard are plastic welded. Never removed just the leather part but have removed complete armrests. Drill out the current securing melts and then use self tapping screws to re-secure.

Most of the parts mounted to the dooryard are plastic welded. Never removed just the leather part but have removed complete armrests. Drill out the current securing melts and then use self tapping screws to re-secure.

Agreed @DJAlix

Did this on the Folding mirror retro fit.

A lot of it is plastic welded tabs / plastic rivets.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed @DJAlix

Did this on the Folding mirror retro fit.

A lot of it is plastic welded tabs / plastic rivets.

Looking at the diagram it looks like is snaps on? Am I mistaken? I guess only way to be sure is pick up some trim tools and have a go on the door cards and if it doesn’t work how I expect I’d take it to a garage to do.

Looking at the diagram it looks like is snaps on? Am I mistaken? I guess only way to be sure is pick up some trim tools and have a go on the door cards and if it doesn’t work how I expect I’d take it to a garage to do.

Nope.

Door card off 1st

Handle is partly plastic welded as I said previous.

9b827e50584514ead49b663ed170e9ac.jpg

933c2bdfeb5da2c24c12eabec4815270.jpg

Nope.

Door card off 1st

Handle is partly plastic welded as I said previous.

9b827e50584514ead49b663ed170e9ac.jpg

933c2bdfeb5da2c24c12eabec4815270.jpg

I just wanted to remove the top part and replace it. Not the whole arm. Just the top of the armrest.

That looks like the whole arm in your photos...

Am fairly certain it’s screwed from the inside.

34c2676fca8651ab4d45db2bf5488760.jpg
You don’t have a photo of the inside? And top so we can see if that top part can be removed with some trim removal tools?

I’ll give it a go anyway.

You don’t have a photo of the inside? And top so we can see if that top part can be removed with some trim removal tools?

I’ll give it a go anyway.

I've just checked Elsawin

The whole handle has to be removed from the door card, then the handle itself can be split........

d24e863874da16ade83a1fcf6c467861.jpg

Reactions: Jassyo06
I've just checked Elsawin

The whole handle has to be removed from the door card, then the handle itself can be split........

d24e863874da16ade83a1fcf6c467861.jpg

Is that something u can get access to myself to look?

I think unfortunately I’ve been stumped here. Took them to an audi dealer to see if they could to them and was told they probably wouldn’t touch it in case they damaged my door cards. I guess I will have to look for a body shop to get feedback on if they will do it. I got the parts for a good price - but its only a good price if I can use them! Otherwise its a waste of money...

A lot hassle to replace new plastic door handles with used plastic door handles with red stitching, in my opinion

Reactions: T-800
A lot hassle to replace new plastic door handles with used plastic door handles with red stitching, in my opinion

You are probably right - may end up trying to sell the door cards and console on. But probably a waste of £300... Should have done some research first!

Don't get me wrong the price is a good price and the parts are worth the £300 but really someone who can DIY it is what this needs; then it is a project to have some fun on which is relatively easy.

You are probably right - may end up trying to sell the door cards and console on. But probably a waste of £300... Should have done some research first!

Don't get me wrong the price is a good price and the parts are worth the £300 but really someone who can DIY it is what this needs; then it is a project to have some fun on which is relatively easy.
Buy yourself a set of them leverage tools that the aftermarket tinting boys have .... That's a start, the door cards are small and not really heavy like some cars l have had, like the door cards on my rcz they where heavy and big .. .doing something like this... Its a confidence thing at the end of the day

Reactions: jungle650 and T-800