How to start an engine safely after sitting in storage?

Meza

Reaction score
I'm after a bit of advice please guys...

I'm going to start a car that's sat in storage for a while. I'm going to check and top up the oil if necessary, the battery is flat so needs charging. But I'm wondering about spinning the car over on the starter with the plugs out to get the oil pressure back up - is this needed or should I be doing something else?

Cheers for the tips. In the mean time I need to get the cobwebs off!

I would just unplug something so it doesnt spark,turn engine over for about 10 seconds,then start it up and leave ticking over for a while.

i would drain oil completly fill it up with new oil that way a bit of oil is at top of engine on cams near enough and just start her up...sorted. one pressure problem you may have is fuel pressure?

cheers jo jo thats a good point about time spent stored...im tired lol

Dont drain the oil if its below max, just top it up a touch, as james said crank it without sparking for a bit, put the car into ignition stage 2 and leave it for the lights to go out on the dash (if any)then try starting, if its a turbo that might need priming again? If its been in storage for a long time it shouldve been drained of fuel anyway.