How to slacken timing belt on S3

MortenTN

Reaction score
I am in the process of changing the head gasket on my S3 APY, and I am not sure how to slacken the timing belt? Is it necessary to remove the engine mount? - I attached the picture of the pulley, and it seems as if there is too little room to do anything with the mount in place.
I am not changing the timing belt, since it was changed by the previous owner fairly recent.

Any help would be appreciated - Thanks!
Foto

Them engines are on a auto tension so you will have to time the engine and take the tensioner off and get the pin required to hold it in and push it back in with a vice or a g clamp and put it back on when required

Ok, so I guess that means removing the engine mount. Is that pin a special tool, or can any steel pin be used?

You haven't really researched this have you...

The tensioner works on a pin, you fit the tensioner, pull the pin and it pushes into tension.

Similar to this-

P1050835.JPG

VWVortex.com - Ultimate Timing Belt DIY!

You need to remove the engine mount, yes. You then need to re compress the tensioner. To make it easier for yourself there is a special tool you can use to take tension off the belt -

040210765.jpg

Might as well fit a new tensioner to save ****ing about.

I did search, but found mostly information on Passat and A4, which of course didn't mention the engine engine mount. Anyway, bought the complete timing belt kit, so it is out of the way now.
New question though - the compression was measured at 3 bar on one cylinder, but now that I have the head and gasket off, there doesn't seem to be any visible indication of blow by on either gasket, head or block. I tested the valves by gasoline leak test, and all cylinders do leak a little bit faster than they should, but still, i don't think it's enough to loose that much compression. The bores look fine...
The engine has used some oil and water so was expecting some indication of leak from the cylinder head, but maybe it is not always visible on the gasket?