How to retrofit rear centre console USB charging ports

jrumball

Reaction score
First off I need to Thank forum member RJ-8V for noticing these were available on new cars and for help with the part numbers.

This will add two USB ports to the rear of the centre console underneath the air vents. These are for charging only, (they will not pass data to the MMI). This is a good solution for rear passengers or when you want to plug in a device but don't need it to be connected too the MMI or just need more USB ports with an OEM look.

It does not modify any of the cars original wiring and can be fully reversed.

I did this to my car which is an A3 e-tron 8v FL car with the interior LED Pack and storage pack, things may look different on your car ! My car came with a 12v socket in the rear console I do not know if the wiring will be present on a car without this socket. It should be easy to create a fused 12v feed that you could run to this position from the front 12v socket if your car does not have it.

IMG 4216 IMG 4210

Tools Required

IMG 4211

• Trim Removal Tool
  • Cable Snips
  • Soldering Iron solder and heat shrink and lighter or hot air gun ( or 2x red butt crimps and crimp tool )
  • Cloth Tape or electrical tape
Parts Required

I purchased all of these from the parts request service on this forum apart from the USB hub and centre console air vent as these could not be found on the parts system at the time, these came from ebay.de

8v0819203b x1
5Q0035726L x1
4G0919321A x1
8K0973754B x1
000979024e x1
000979009E x1

• 8v0819203b Center Console vent and USB face plate (This seems to be all one part even though the vent tube has another part number on it 8v0857042) I paid about €60 delivered for this the facia surround and USB hub delivered from a seller on ebay.de
IMG 4185IMG 4186

• 5Q0035726L USB hub £37 from the parts request.
IMG 4188

• 4G0919321A 3pin 12v Connector £0.90 from the parts request.
IMG 4179

• 8K0973754B 4pin USB hub Connector £2.00 from the parts request. (I am not sure this is exactly the correct connector it fits but does not latch in the socket of the hub)
IMG 4182

• 000979024e 12v repair wire (this gives you the male pins for the 3pin 12v socket) £8.20 from the parts request.
IMG 4183

• 000979009E repair wire (this gives you the female pins for the USB hub) £3.90 from the parts request
IMG 4181

Instructions

1. Take both repair wires and cut the about 10cm away from the connectors and strip 5mm of insulation from the end of each. Insert them into pins 1 and 2 on the corresponding connectors they should be easy to insert and click into place (they are a pain to remove so make sure you get the in the right ones first time ) Take your pieces of heat shrink and place them over the wires now. I have used red for +12 and black for -12v.
IMG 4200

2. Tin the ends of all 4 wires with solder.

Then solder pin 1 of the black connector too pin 2 of the red connector ( -12v ).

Then solder pin 2 of the black connector too pin 1 of the red connector (+12v ).

IMG 4203

3. Slide the heat shrink over the soldered joint and heat with a hot air gun or lighter to shrink the heat shrink.

IMG 4204

4. Wrap the wire in cloth tape.

IMG 4205

5. Remove the rear air vents. Pry from the bottom corner first, it is a bit stiff. Remove the connector from the 12v socket (the clip you need to push is at the bottom of the connector.
IMG 4212 IMG 4192

6. Remove the air vent and 12v socket from the trim piece and replace with the USB version. I put some cloth tape around where the USB hub clips in because there was a lot of movement and I hate rattles. Insert the USB hun into the facia.

IMG 4190IMG 4213

7. Connect the cable from the USB hub to the 12v connector and test. The most I saw the hub put out was about 2 amps I am guessing it is a 3amp unit. I can't seem to find the specs for it online as the company that produced it has been bought up .
IMG 4209

8. Resemble
IMG 4210

Interesting observations

It seems pin 3 of the black 12v connector is the live for the illumination of the 12v socket (LED in my case as I have the interior light pack). This maybe useful for adding more interior lights at a latter point.

IMG 4191 IMG 4215

I believe that pins 3 + 4 on the USB hub are the D+ and D- for the USB hub though I have not tested this, it may be possible to add a data connection to these ports but I don't really see the point.

IMG 4177 IMG 4202 IMG 4196

Reactions: Boydie, Potterswheel, YAY090 and 5 others
Great job. Cheap and easy retrofit :)

I use the back ports to charge my phone so i don't have those annoying Android Auto startup screen when connecting it at the front.

A3 8V Facelift Limousine

well done for writing this up and sharing this the community.

My only gripe is that the speed of charging would be slow and I would love if this charging had Qualcomm fast charge.

Couple of notes - I haven't done the mod yet but have all the parts now. I need to order some more gas for my soldering iron, and some heat shrink...

The 12V connector I bought came with the 12V socket attached and wired. After studying it I believe the middle pin is the 12V live, and the opposite pin to the one you've used is ground. The connection that you used appears to drive the light for me. I'll have to look further, but I used the 2 pins on the other side of the 12V connector to you & RJ-8V. I think they both go to ground anyway, just that one is connected directly to the socket, and the other connects via the light and goes to the lighter itself when it is pushed in. I'm not explaining it very well...

The USB connector I got came in 2 parts, that slide and lock to each other sideways once you have the pins in. It's also black in colour, and latches into the USB hub (you mentioned yours doesn't), but I did have to slice a part off the plug that interfered with the socket, which was odd. If you look at the socket on the USB hub on the other side to the pins, there are some keyed elements that interfered with the plug. Easily sorted, but still - I wondered what that was about.

I also took apart the USB hub to try and work out which pins to use and what the others were for - same conclusion as you really, they're probably data pins for use in other appliaciotns. It's likely even the same module that's used in the armrest for MMI connectivity, but I won't be trying to connect them either.

I also tried for ages to find out how to buy just the plate with the USB holes, without the vent, but having bought one with the vent as a complete unit, it does actually look like a complete PITA to take apart, so you're better off getting the whole thing I think. I haven't tried too hard to remove it because I don't want to damage it, but I tried unscrewing the bolt that goes through the fan adjustment wheel and it wouldn't budge with the small screwdriver I had - need something bigger to apply more force. Once that bolt is off it might be a bit easier to separate the parts, but I suspect it'll also mean removing the chrome frame from the vents, and that looks fragile.

Nice ! If you post some photos of the parts you have can probably figure out whats going on with the 12v connector .

Nice ! If you post some photos of the parts you have can probably figure out whats going on with the 12v connector .

I posted a pic on the other thread, but I've thrown the cigarette lighter bit away now...

It does appear to be different ! On the 12v cigarette socket the center will be positive the ring will be ground and then the other positive will be for the illumination .

What year is your car ? Is it a FaceLift ? Mine has cool white interior illumination... the light in your pic looks red

I don't suppose anyone knows if the air vent is backwards compatible with the pre-FL A3 8V cars? Off hand it appears to have the same dimensions and shapes.

I don't suppose anyone knows if the air vent is backwards compatible with the pre-FL A3 8V cars? Off hand it appears to have the same dimensions and shapes.
Backwards compatible

A3 8V Facelift Limousine

I've gone that route, unfortunately the kids keep kicking them when dropping them off for school and breaking them. I thought I was clever when I installed the 12 volt power port back there, need something more flush.

Downside with these flush adaptors is they cost an extra 3p. But at least when the kids kick anything plugged in and knacker the usb socket they are cheap and easy to replace.

L0ltYWdlRm9ybWFsLzAyL2Q5L2E0LzAyZDlhNGM2LWUzZTEtNDgyNi1iYjY0LTNjNzZlMTUwYTczMy9kZXNjcmlwdGlvbnMvZjg2YTFlZmMtMjE2OS00NmNmLTllN2YtZTc0OWJjZGFjZDRkLmpwZz90PTE1MzY2ODE2MDA=

Finally got around to doing this to my car. Works perfectly :)

Reactions: jrumball and RJ-8V
As my kids now and again like to use there DVD players in the car and they charge through a cigarette lighter socket I did a little variation to jrumball’s installation, I refitted the charging socket into the lower facia and tapped power from the power socket cable to power the usb.

It was basically fitted in by drilling a hole using a 25mm holesaw and expanding to around 26.5mm using a dremmel and refitting the socket back into the facia, unlike jrumball’s I used the original power lead, tapped off the positive (pin 2) and the negative (pin 1) using the repair wires and fitted int the plug for the USB power.

560E56C4 68E1 48A8 855E 667AD5706912 6F2D9D8C E246 4653 94EC AEA8000BD763 60C59993 FD3E 400C B027 E3998B7BF74D 24E044D9 045D 4D09 AE4D 9A031C3D30C3 90C6FD80 411E 418E AC98 3ECDF3645903

Reactions: Boydie, toooldforboyracing, gsrsilver and 4 others
Good job mate.
I currently don't even have the 12v cigarette socket so I suppose I would have to remove it to see of there is any wiring behind it.

Just wanted to say thanks to @jrumball for this guide to fitting the rear USB sockets to my facelift 3dr hatch S3. I had a 12v cigarette lighter style socket which isn’t as useful. I ordered the parts from Crewe Audi on here and was a really simple job. I much prefer the cleaner look of the rear vent too.

Good job mate.
I currently don't even have the 12v cigarette socket so I suppose I would have to remove it to see of there is any wiring behind it.
Hi. did you find any wiring ? I'm about to fit the same, but i don't have 12v socket in the back,