1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

[HOW-TO] Retrofit doorhandle illumination/warning/puddle lights

henkkeumus Dec 26, 2019

1. henkkeumus

henkkeumus Dutchman

Because I couldn't really find accurate info about this subject and everybody retrofitted Chinese aftermarket lights I made my own retrofit guide. I used genuine Audi looms.

Note there are two ways to get the warning/puddle lights. First option is to get Chinese aftermarket looms and lights and connect those to a positive and negative in your door unit. Or get genuine Audi looms that have all of the options as described in the title.

I bought the looms of a scrapyard. The looms came out of a '07 A3 and I own a '11 A3. Because of this I already faced my first problem. I connected the loom to my door unit and nothing worked. Connected my old looms back and everything works perfectly. This could only mean 1 thing, the pin outs have changed... A quick Google search learned me that Audi used new door modules and pin settings after the facelift model (2008).

If you only look what pins are positive and ground;

Driver and passengerside: PIN 18 (positive) / 19 (ground)
    Backseat: PIN 1 (positive) / 2 (ground)

Required
    • This how-to is based on facelift doormodules, I own the "KLO" doormodules.
    • Door looms: 8P4971036A (with all lights and doorhandle illumination)
    • If you only want to retrofit warning/puddle lights:
    https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/3284...chweb0_0,searchweb201602_5,searchweb201603_53

Step 1.
    Disassemble the doorpanel(s).

[​IMG]

Step 2.
    Disconnect the looms and 32-pins connector from the doormodule. When you got the door loom get to the connector.
    1. Pry a small screwdriver behind the clip that holds the white inner connector in place.
    2. When the clip is pried open pull the cable and the connector will shove out.

[​IMG]

Step 3.
    I did the most of the hard work and noted down the pins of my original doorcables and of the cables I bought with all the lights on it. Make sure your cable's are on the same pinout as mine. If so you can just pin them as shown below.

(if the picture doesn't work, click for PDF)

[​IMG]

Step 4
    I just pulled all cables out my bought cable and repinned it corresponding the correct pin out.

4.1 With a small philips screwdriver push the clip that holds the cable in place down. This need a firmly press.
    [​IMG]

4.2 When you got it out and want to put another cable in it get a small object and pry the pin you pushed down upwards.
    [​IMG]

4.3 Make sure it's pried up as shown below. When you put the cable in it's new slot you need to hear it click in place.[​IMG]

4.4 Note down all your changes. It can be a mess and when you don't document any of your changes you will need to start all over. I can speak out of experience it's a messy job :).

[​IMG]

Step 5.
    When done shove the white connector in the grey housing and try your luck.

A good way to do this is by trying button by button. When you fail one you don't have to repin the whole connecter again :).

Pin out changes (pre facelift > facelift) module.

Pre facelift 2008 and before --> Facelift 2008 and up
    - Pin 1 --> Pin 18
    - Pin 2 --> Pin 19
    - Pin 3 --> Pin 7
    - Pin 4 --> Pin 21
    - Pin 5 --> - (to Pin 11 of the 20-Pin connector)
    - Pin 6 --> Pin 24
    - Pin 7 --> Pin 32
    - Pin 8 --> Pin 15
    - Pin 13 --> Pin 10
    - Pin 14 --> Pin 17
    - Pin 16 --> Pin 4
    - Pin 17 --> Pin 5
    - Pin 19 --> Pin 6
    - Pin 20 --> Pin 8
    - Pin 21 --> Pin 23
    - Pin 22 --> Pin 25
    - Pin 23 --> Pin 26
    - Pin 24 --> Pin 31
    - Pin 26 --> Pin 14
    - Pin 30 --> Pin 27
    - Pin 31 --> Pin 1
    - Pin 32 --> Pin 3

Passenger side, same connector only couple less pins.

Pins of the 20 pin connector that changed;

Pre facelift 2008 and before --> Facelift 2008 and up
    - Pin 7 --> Pin 6
    - Pin 11 --> Pin 12
    - Pin 12 --> Pin 18
    - Pin 13 --> Pin 16 (only the driverside)
    - Pin 15 --> Pin 7
    - Pin 16 --> Pin 13
    - Pin 18 --> Pin 11 (same as pin 5 of the 32-pinnige connector for manufacturing years from ±2006 till 2008)

Result

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
    MWright likes this.
  2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. John Lang

John Lang Member

Great write-up - thanks for sharing your work.

4. henkkeumus

henkkeumus Dutchman

In addition, for those who want to fit the handles with pre-fit illumination holes in it, the partnumbers.

Right, driver handle: 8P4837020A

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Left, passenger handle: 8P4837019E

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bryant1998 likes this.
  5. LEE69

LEE69 07 170 DSG Team Dolphin Grey Audi A3

Great guide, glad mine came with it all now lol