How to replace worn climate control buttons

mattyboy199

Reaction score
So now I've actually replaced mine and before all S3 owners swallow up all the spare units out there I thought I'd share the how to.

All audi models from this generation share similar climate control units, its possible to buy a unit from another car such as a A4 (B5) and swap them out (the finish on the A4 unit is more durable and doesn't match perfectly to the S3 face plate but as you can see below it does look ten times better, I'm yet to apply a rubber and vinyl care coating to see if i can bring it all back to match or at least improve it).

I got a perfect unit for £22 off ebay (better than those poxy sticker sets).

Its really straight forward to do:
1. Remove stereo to access the climate control unit screws and undo.
2. Remove climate control unit.
3. Undo 4 x screws from rear of face plate.
4. Pull face plate off the unit.
5. Unscrew circuit board from rear of face plate.
6. Pop out the buttons from rear of face plate using a flat ended tool such as 3 or 4mm allen key. All except the central buttons have a cross hair to press them out, the remaining can be poked out.
7. Do the same on the donor unit, installation is fairly simple press and click.
8. Put the unit back together and reinstall.

Notes: if like me you can't get your head unit out you can prise out the buttons using a small screw driver. In doing this i did distort some of the plastic separating the buttons so make sure everything is straightened back up otherwise the buttons may stick and you could damage the new buttons getting them back out.

There is a video available however I'm unable to upload it on here.
Screenshot 20170911 201114

Thanks to @basil brush for the video he sent me which assisted my repair and posting of this thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: WaffenruheBG