How to replace Avant rear wiper motor (incl removing tailgate trim)

SDHA4SLine

Reaction score
Last edited:
very easy mate, 2 screws behinds the emergency triangle cover, 2 screws (1 in each handle reccess) and then it will pry of, the retaining spring clips are quite stiff thought.
had mine of 4 times in one week last month due to leaking wiper motor.
takes only mins to remove.

very easy mate, 2 screws behinds the emergency triangle cover, 2 screws (1 in each handle reccess) and then it will pry of, the retaining spring clips are quite stiff thought.
had mine of 4 times in one week last month due to leaking wiper motor.
takes only mins to remove.
got the four screws out and six retaining clips out of holes but the thing is hanging on at the two corners nearest the top of the trim. I can see two more screws that either hold this trim in place of the trim that goes up the sides and over top of window. Did you take yors off completly or just pull it down to get access?

Last edited:
first time i undid those 2 scews also but they dont attach to the trim panel, you just need to lever it off carefully, it will come off, then you'll see that's its just 4 screws and spring clips.

Do the two corners that connect to the upper trim fit underneath that upper trim? Just wondering if I need to pull trim away from upper trim as well straight down

best plan is to remove the other 2 screws and it will all come away easier, you can then get a better handle on which bit holds what on and at what angle, i know it sounds stupid but that way you'll avoid breaking any plastic bits and refitting will become clearer.
if i can recall, i pulled the bottom away first so i could unplug the courtsey light in the panel then carefull pryed the top outwards, but if it is your first removal whip the other 2 screws out as i can make it a lot easier.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, all screws out still wont budge

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

How hard can it be?

now come on mate, get a grip , its only a 5 min job ;)......stop tickling it and get it off.:p

Its off :thumbs up: stupid stupid design though, I was almost hanging off it to remove the dam thing.

i didnt take it all the way off, got too frustrated, but managed to remove the motor by just undoing the first too screws. then i blanked the wiper hole. for a cleaner smoother rear end. although sometimes i wish i hadnt, when i cant see out of the rear window!

Must have been the 1st time it's been off as had to remove it again and was so much less leverage second time