How To replace a spoiler on a sportback

jrumball

Reaction score
I have an e-tron and in the UK they only come with the standard spoiler. I wanted the s-line spoiler like the US gets as part of a sport pack. I searched ebay and could not finding one in my colour Cosmos Blue, I did find an RS3 spoiler from a 2017 sportback at a reasonable price, as there are very few exterior mods that will work on my car because of the e-tron specific bumper inserts and DLR lights and unique grill with charging port I thought it wouldn't be too much .

RS3 2 RS3 Spoiler

Painting

To be honest the hardest part of the whole process has been getting a decent paint job. The first shop I took it too did the most horrendous job terrible colour match lumpy paint job and loads of over spray !!! They also to 3 weeks to do it....

The next lot took 2 weeks but did an amazing job of sorting out the mess from the previous company.

Parts Needed

• Spoiler (I am not sure if they are 5 door/3door specific or even PFL/FL )
  • you may also need replacement trim clips and fasteners ( I broke 1 and could of quite easily lost a couple more inside the boot lid )

Tools

• T25 Screwdriver
  • 10mm socket and extension
  • Good set of trim removal Tools
  • pliers
Tools

Instructions

I have a 2017 A3 8v FL e-tron sportback, things may vary with your car !

1. Start by flattening the rear seats and removing the parcel shelf, removing the warning triangle from its storage box, the covers for the lights and the cover for the emergency boot release.

2. Remove the 2 T25 screws in the warning triangle box.

T25 bolts

3. Now carefully start to pull the lower trim piece away from the hatch. You need to use a bit of force and there will be all sorts of horrible noises ! I started by pulling on the left using the rear light hole to pull with . I then made my way around the trim with a plastic trim removal tool popping all the clips out . Once it is free place it on the folded down seats or on a blanket to stop it from getting scratched. Check that you have not left any trim clips on the boot lid, remove them with pliers and put them back on the trim so they don't get lost .

4.Using a trim removal tool remove the 2 plastic rivets on the top piece of boot trim.

Top plastic rivet

5. As with the bottom piece of trim start on one side pull the top trim away from the boot lid again there will be all sorts of noises . Move around the trim unclipping it until it is free again there may be clips stuck in the boot lid remove these and put them back on the top trim.

Top Pry

6. Disconnect the aerial cable (blue,green,and red) on left from the aerial amp. I could not figure out how this latched in but with a little force it just pulled out.

Spoiler mounting Spoiler clips

7. Dissconnect the cable for the high level brake light. This is a simple connector with a latch.

8. Unclip the white bung for the aerial cable and brake cable and push them into the spoiler slightly.
Cable grommet 1
9. Use a 10mm socket and extension to undo the 4 nuts holding the spoiler on. be careful not to drop them into the boot hatch !

BE CAREFULL NOT TO SCRATCH THE SPOILER OR ROOF WHEN PRYING, OR TRAP THE SPOILER BETWEEN THE ROOF AND BOOT LID WHEN REMOVING OR REFITTING YOU MAY WANT TO PROTECT IT WITH A BLANKET.

10. Start to remove the spoiler by wedging a trim removal tool between the spoiler and the boot lid on one side of the spoiler. If you look up into the top corner of the boot lid you will see a white trim clip. This was the hardest thing to remove I used a pair of pliers to compress it together at the same time I pried the spoiler away from the boot lid. Once this clip had popped through it was easier to pop the blue trim clips with a bit of prying. Then you need to do the same with the white trim clip on the other side, this is the clip I broke as I forced it too hard thinking it would just pop out now i had all the other clips out. I recommend compressing it again with pliers.

Half removed

11. Carefully lift the spoiler away from the boot lid being careful not to get the cables caught. Also be careful you do not lose any of the foam washers that are on the captive bolts, locating pins and trim clips.

12. To fit the new spoiler. Feed the aerial and brake light cable through their holes and clip the grommet back into place . At this point connect the brake light cable and aerial cable and test they are working .

Grommet 1 Grommet 2

13. Line the spoiler up and push it down until the white and blue clips have seated properly. I gave each one a light tap to make sure it was clipped properly. Carefully open the boot lid for the first time making sure it does't foul on the roof.

14. The rest of the refitting is the reverse of removal.

Over all I found it to be an easy job. It took me about 1.5hrs with taking photos etc.

The spoiler looks great and completely changes the shape of the rear of the car .

BEFORE
Before 1 Before 2

AFTER
After 7 After 6 After 5 After 4 After 1 After 3

Boot Ref Photos
Boot ref 1 Boot ref 2

Attachments

• After 2.jpg
    After 2.jpg
    434.5 KB · Views: 750
  • Left in clip.jpg
    Left in clip.jpg
    298 KB · Views: 735
  • Spoiler clip locations.jpg
    Spoiler clip locations.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 773
Reactions: Boydie, falcomm, dp_motley and 4 others
I did this on my Sportback SE to an Sline spoiler but the RS3 spoiler (does it flare out a bit more)

I found the hardest was to unclip the mounts from the inner bit as it came to a point where I felt the spoiler was flexing and the mounts was difficult to seperate. I need to have a read through properly your process to see what I could have done differently . But well done on taking on this job!

I did this on my Sportback SE to an Sline spoiler but the RS3 spoiler (does it flare out a bit more)

I found the hardest was to unclip the mounts from the inner bit as it came to a point where I felt the spoiler was flexing and the mounts was difficult to seperate. I need to have a read through properly your process to see what I could have done differently . But well done on taking on this job!

The RS3 spoiler is slightly bigger and has 2 indents in it ....

I think it would be hard to break the spoiler, the black triangles are more fragile though. It is the white clip left and right which are the hardest to remove, they need to be compressed to remove....

Thanks for the write up! I'd like to add some numbers in case anyone will search for parts. The roof spoiler oem number is 8V4827933C for the S/S line and 8V4827933D for the RS. I found one more oem number of 8V4071640 that I guess is an extra option for those who wants to upgrade their SE roof spoiler to more sporty one. Can anyone with the factory fitted S/S-line spoiler have a look and say if this is the same spoiler here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162789586281 ?

Reactions: jrumball
Thanks for the write up! I'd like to add some numbers in case anyone will search for parts. The roof spoiler oem number is 8V4827933C for the S/S line and 8V4827933D for the RS. I found one more oem number of 8V4071640 that I guess is an extra option for those who wants to upgrade their SE roof spoiler to more sporty one. Can anyone with the factory fitted S/S-line spoiler have a look and say if this is the same spoiler here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162789586281 ?

The link is for a kit in primer including the appropriate mounting

Translation of German

Original Audi roof spoiler set
Brake light can be taken over by standard spoiler.
For vehicles without S line roof spoiler
Not for S line exterior package, S and RS models
Delivery unit 1 set 4 parts
Original spare part number Original accessories number
1 x 8V4071640 9AX roof edge spoiler primed including antenna, mounting hardware and PMMA corners
1 x 000071785D adhesive kit
1 x 000071781A accessory set
1 x 8V4898940A sealing foam tape set
Model:
Audi A3 Sportback 5-door model year 2013-2019
For items that you buy without specifying the VIN (VIN) without clarifying the usability, we do not guarantee the accuracy of fit.
100% perfect fit Audi Seat Skoda VW original spare part original accessory
Implied warranties
Invoice including VAT

Reactions: dp_motley
Thanks, I read the translation. I'm curious because they state that the spoiler isn't for a car with the S/RS exterior. It should also re-use the SE brake light. Does that mean that this spoiler is a little different from the S line one? Does it look exactly the same?

I guess because the s-Line allready has it and it would be a downgrade for a RS ? and that the SE brake light fits the s-line spoiler ?

I guess because the s-Line allready has it and it would be a downgrade for a RS ? and that the SE brake light fits the s-line spoiler ?
I don't know. That's what I read in translation of their sales copy above.

Hi,
Very nice job, and great manual

I would like to do this mod on my Sportback too. But I only found used Spoilers in the unmatched colour to my car, so I have to paint it. My question is now, is it possible to remove the outer painted shell from the inner? And is it possible to remove the two black glossy end caps (left, right)?
Many thanks for help.

Painting

To be honest the hardest part of the whole process has been getting a decent paint job. The first shop I took it too did the most horrendous job terrible colour match lumpy paint job and loads of over spray !!! They also to 3 weeks to do it....

The next lot took 2 weeks but did an amazing job of sorting out the mess from the previous company.

Hi,
Very nice job, and great manual

I would like to do this mod on my Sportback too. But I only found used Spoilers in the unmatched colour to my car, so I have to paint it. My question is now, is it possible to remove the outer painted shell from the inner? And is it possible to remove the two black glossy end caps (left, right)?
Many thanks for help.

Painting

Thanks

I did not take the spoiler apart I don't think it would be practical possible it's been a while since i did this but I'm sure they were stuck together .... Same with the side caps. just mask these areas if your painting, a good body shop will have no problems doing it .

Reactions: falcomm
All right
many thanks for your fast response.
I will go to my paint shop and ask him, if he can do it so you said with the mask.

Thanks

I did not take the spoiler apart I don't think it would be practical possible it's been a while since i did this but I'm sure they were stuck together .... Same with the side caps. just mask these areas if your painting, a good body shop will have no problems doing it .

Thanks for the write up - I bought a RS3 spoiler months ago for my S3 Hatch and tried to get it off but wouldn't budge. Will give it another go over xmas break.