How to remove stripped screw - Numberplate bulb holder

dk1234

Reaction score
I was trying to replace the number plate bulb, when trying to remove the screw from the casing none of my small screw drivers would work and the screw has become stripped abit. I then took it to the garage as I needed my headelight replaced as well. He also couldn't unscrew it and it became more stripped as he tried a couple of times.

Any tips on how to get this screw out?

Power drill? I got a drill I used to put some shelves up before. I remember when I was using the screw driver originally it wasn't exactly a straight path / lined up normally because of a slight angle the boot creates. I imagine I would need a small drill piece.

Somebody mentioned breaking the plastic casing for the light and than using pliers or something to twist the screw out.

Power drill? I got a drill I used to put some shelves up before. I remember when I was using the screw driver originally it wasn't exactly a straight path / lined up normally because of a slight angle the boot creates. I imagine I would need a small drill piece.

Somebody mentioned breaking the plastic casing for the light and than using pliers or something to twist the screw out.

Yep, others have drilled through too!

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/removing-rounded-off-number-plate-light-screw.165840/

Reactions: dk1234
I've always used a flexible screwdriver extension when removing these - won't help now something for others.

Can you post a picture of it up?

My car's in RAC getting it's cambelt etc changed, but hopefully I'll get it back later. Not sure though as I haven't heard from them. when I do I'll take a picture.

Mine were rounded/corroded. I used a half decent fitting bit, and a ring spanner. Well timed crack with a small hammer and some pressure on the spanner and it came out no problem.

Like a tiny impact driver!

Can you post a picture of it up?

screw_Closeup.jpg

I know I'm going to have this problem tomorrow trying to fit my LED lights!!