How to rebuild and clean hydraulic lifters vag 1.8t

AGU-TURBO

Audi a3 1.8t AGU
Reaction score
Finaly worked out how to rebuild the lifters in my 1.8t. As a lot of people have Helped me out in the past on Audi-sport.net i thought i would contribute to that in making a How to guide. Hope it comes in useful

First off get a thick piece of wood and put a towel down so you don't damage the lifter

1.jpg

2.jpg

Place the lifter on the wood then wrap it twice with you'r towel

3.jpg

Get another peice of wood put it flush on the lifter. Then give it a good wack a few times. some are easy and pop out with a couple of blows but others are a pain and take forever.

4.jpg

Keep checking every couple of blows to see if the little piston has popped out. once it has broke free get a pair of pliars and give it a good pull

5.jpg

Once its out it should look like this. pull the two halfs apart and take the spring out

6.jpg

Then you will end up with this. soke all the bits in petrol for 15 minutes. the middle collet thing has a bearing in it. acts like a 1 way valve to build up pressure. fill this with petrol and press the bearing in a few time with a little screw driver to clean it and make sure its free enough

DSCF2478.jpg

DSCF2479.jpg

Once cleaned start by pacing the spring in side the collet thing. lol

DSCF2481.jpg

then add a few drops of oil. this is so when you first start the car there is already pressure there to stop the spring from been flattened
DSCF2482.jpg

once you have done that then add the the other piece with the bearing in. make sure you put the bearing facing up.

DSCF2485.jpg

Once it is in then push down on it and press the bearing in again with your screw driver. this is so it goes in more which makes it easyer to get into the actual lifter and to release any air

DSCF2486.jpg

Get the other end of you'r hammer and push down hard till you hear it pop in

DSCF2493.jpg

give it a wipe down

Then it will look like this and jobs a gooden
DSCF2488.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Danielk5787
Good guide! Did this in my mk2 golf years ago. Shame some of the pics arent so clear.

Whats the purpose of the lifter and by cleaning it what does it achieve? Im still learning :).

There are 20 all together, 12 on the inlet and 8 on the exhaust side these sit in between the valves and camshaft maintaining zero valve clearance. leading to quieter operation and eliminating the need for periodic adjustment of valve clearance. hope this helps

because these use you'r oil pressure to pump them and they only have a small hole for the oil to go in you tend to get sludgy crap in them. also when they have been taken out they tend to start exspanding by them selves so when you rebuild it you will have valves smashing into pistons lol. so you are supposed to drain them then fit them.

Thanks i am still doing them at the minute so i will try and get a better picture. these take forever lol. ive read you'r mk2 thread very interesting

Cheers mate, seems ages ago i built that.

Thumbs up for doing this though, i did it when i rebuilt my 9A 2l 16v lump, and the difference was night and day. Well worth doing if you think your lifters are at fault. Oil does gunk up over time and restrict the oilways. Change oil regularly kids, its worth it!! Lol

Thanks added this to my favourites for future reference :readit:

Still have the images? As photobucket stopped sharing images of 3rd party sites they are no longer visible.

Still have the images? As photobucket stopped sharing images of 3rd party sites they are no longer visible.

Lot of that about...

Capture

Member was last on the forum three years ago.... you never know your luck...

<tuffty/>