How to Re-align drivers door?

dg-1984

Reaction score
My driver's door is sitting about 5mm low, when you open it just off the catch you can see the drop, once closed the catch pulls it up higher and sits perfect but want to adjust the door properly and drop the latch a little to match.
How is the door adjusted?

Many years ago, this happened to my MK 4 Golf. I asked about it at the VW garage and the technician brought out a purpose built lever that attached to the door and hinges. Suitable upwards force was applied with the door open and the door moved upwards into perfect alignment when shut.
The hoop on the body work can be adjusted with a suitable sized torx driver. Best to mark the current position with tape so you can always get it back to the current position if you get to the stage where the door will not latch as it is too far out of adjustment.

Reactions: dg-1984
I took mine to a local body shop who adjusted it for me. Much easier than me trying to do it.

Reactions: DJ_26 and dg-1984
If you have a 3 door car, then the pins the door rests on and turns on the bracket could be worn, due to the extra weight of the larger door. To check, open the door fully and lift the door up and down a tad, if you hear a small clonk or it feels loose the pins are worn out. Can also happen with 5 door cars but not as often.
If it is just a sagged door, a bodyshop expert will have the knack of twisting it back into line, don't try yourself.

Mark 3 Golfs had a little fine adjustment screw on one of the front door hinges which could be used to take up wear/play. There is something on my A3 which looks similar but I have never got round to investigating it. Have to say the Golf one was like a knurled thumbscrew but tiny and mine seems to have a rubber cap on it, does this make any sense to anyone?

Mark 3 Golfs had a little fine adjustment screw on one of the front door hinges which could be used to take up wear/play. There is something on my A3 which looks similar but I have never got round to investigating it. Have to say the Golf one was like a knurled thumbscrew but tiny and mine seems to have a rubber cap on it, does this make any sense to anyone?

Just took the wee black cap off the top bracket and it's a small nut.
I see there are 3 large bolts holding the brackets to the door.
You think loosening these and possibly sliding the door up a little?
I will check see if the door is out the full way along first.

Just checked and the front of the door aligns up ok so must be sagging slightly,
I will check with a body shop, but may also look and see if can loosed the top bracket and see if can slide it a few mm forward which could possibly help with lifting the rear.

The little screw on the bracket is just to hold the door pin and stop the door lifting up and off it's mount, it's not an adjustment. You can adjust the whole hinge at the door side or at the A pillar, but I can't remember which side.

I looked at the top bracket and has a bolt in the outside but looks like it has another from the inside. Will have to see how to get to it.
Bottom bracket also looks to be the same.

There doesn't seem to be any play in the door, no knocking noises when lifting it.

Many years ago, this happened to my MK 4 Golf. I asked about it at the VW garage and the technician brought out a purpose built lever that attached to the door and hinges. Suitable upwards force was applied with the door open and the door moved upwards into perfect alignment when shut.
t.

This is the way to go. Takes a solid 10 seconds with the adjustment tool

This is the way to go. Takes a solid 10 seconds with the adjustment tool

Is this a widely know and used tool for all doors or is it specific to certain body shops?
Will all have something that would sort out the problem?
Am I looking for an accident repair place or would a body shop also have it?

How much is it to replace the pins ? Mental money I suspect ?

Is this a widely know and used tool for all doors or is it specific to certain body shops?
Will all have something that would sort out the problem?
Am I looking for an accident repair place or would a body shop also have it?

It's just an Ad Hoc tool people make up for themselves, either place should be able to help you.

How much is it to replace the pins ? Mental money I suspect ?
The pin is part of the door hinge thesedays, yes you have to buy the whole hinge. Older cars used to have separate pins you could change. Last cars in the VW family to have separate pins I think was the the Golf Mk4.

It's just an Ad Hoc tool people make up for themselves, either place should be able to help you.

The pin is part of the door hinge thesedays, yes you have to buy the whole hinge. Older cars used to have separate pins you could change. Last cars in the VW family to have separate pins I think was the the Golf Mk4.
Is it a dash out job ?

As mentioned, to use the hinge twisting lever tool it is done in 10 seconds. No need to dismantle anything. My local VW garage had the tool. Just call your or local accident repair places as an alternative.

its not an adhoc tool . It is a VAG tool and my tech buddy at the local vw stealership used in last week while we were talking. Seriously, just go to your local stealership and ask a tech to do it for you after work and give them a few quid

Mine has dropped however once the door is fully open you can lift it up and down slightly, so want new hinges

Yes but you can compensate for the hinge wear with the tool. My Golf is now 18 years old and after the tool was used it has been totally fine

its not an adhoc tool . It is a VAG tool and my tech buddy at the local vw stealership used in last week while we were talking. Seriously, just go to your local stealership and ask a tech to do it for you after work and give them a few quid

A real tool for the job, Awesome!

Mine has dropped however once the door is fully open you can lift it up and down slightly, so want new hinges

On mine the screw behind the black caps were loose. Tightening fixed the droop.

Does anyone know how to get to the rear bolt of the bottom hinge? Going to try loosen the two bolts and adjust the hinge, asked a body shop about twisting the bracket but said can't really do it with these brackets.
I thought they had probably just never done one as few people said that there is a tool for the job.

behind trim kick plate on inside. seen this done with a jack and a block of wood to protect door bottom . door just ajar and jacked up from door handle end till you hear hinge make a cracking sound ,as it moves the hinge mounting plate . not saying do it to yours but it can be done this way .

behind trim kick plate on inside. seen this done with a jack and a block of wood to protect door bottom . door just ajar and jacked up from door handle end till you hear hinge make a cracking sound ,as it moves the hinge mounting plate . not saying do it to yours but it can be done this way .

Would be scared to do that, knowing my luck the bottom of the door would crease and bend.

it wont bend the door bottom i would do a video if i had a car door to lift up there's not many 3 door around for it to happen to.

Does the VAG door alignment tool look like this, as this one looks pretty basic off ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Steck-Man...084637?hash=item5d5392bf1d:g:WMgAAOxy-NVSDf3s
s-l225.jpg