How to play online with ps3???

Randomjim

Reaction score
I have a new ps3 with the 40gb hard drive which doesn't come with the lead for hooking it up to the net. I have a ethernet cable an i tried that into the back of my computer but it didn't work. Anyone know?

should come with a black cable? which is exactly the same as an ethernet cable... also. you need to plug it into your router, if you're not wireless..

Whats my router lol. I have a bt modem thing but it doesn't have a ethernet input.

Got aol broadband silver with a bt modem plugged into the phoneline with dsl filters.

Not wireless, i had wireless but it gave me a crap connection so i took it back. I'll just have to go into game or something an get the other lead.

As far as i'm aware there's no way of connecting a ps3 online without either the ethernet cable or wireless. I use a router so connect straight from the ps3 to my router and it's away. If you only have a usb modem to connect to the internet from your pc you either need to replace this with a router or if your pc has an available ethernet port connect this to the ps3 (note if your pc shows cable not connected you might need a "special" ethernet cable called a crossover cable) and then use internet connection sharing on your pc to get the ps3 online.

I've plugged it in to the ethernet port with a cable i found lying around at work and it recognises that it's plugged in and as far as i can tell it's giving it a 1gb connection. But when i do the connection test it times out so i dunno.

i had similar trouble gettin mine set up, as far as i no all ps3s are wireless capable, it might be a problem with your modem not clearing your ps3 for security reasons like an unrecognised wep key or even the ip address, best thing to do i reckon is try givin the wireless system another chance mate, thats what i did in the end, well worth it too!!