'How to' photo guide - replacing your Fuel Temperature Sensor on the 2.0 TDi BRD

Richardesty

loves quattro
Reaction score
As the title says - here's a quite 'How to' photo guide - replacing your Fuel Temperature Sensor on the 2.0 TDi BRD engine.

I've recently replaced mine having done some reading up on here, thought it may be the cause of some recent starting issues and general 'rough' running. That said, my temp gauge was always reading normal at just under 90c.

Here's how I did it....

1 - buy the replacement sensor and o-ring - I went for an OEM version from my local Audi Dealer:

DSCF8003.jpg

2 - open your bonnet (see instruction manual):

DSCF8005.jpg

3 - remove the engine cover - it just lifts off with some firm upward pressure:

DSCF8006.jpg

4 - locate the existing Fuel Temperature Sensor - on a high level hose at the rear of the engine bay, adjacent to the battery:

DSCF8007.jpg

5 - un-clip the electrical connector:

DSCF8008.jpg

6 - remove the clip which holds the sensor in place - carefully prize it away with a flat screwdriver:

DSCF8010.jpg

7 - pull the sensor away from the 'holder' noting that the original o-ring may stay in the hole (remove this too). The new one is on the left.
Then clean the opening with a cloth:

DSCF8011.jpg

DSCF8013.jpg

8 - push the new sensor and o-ring into the hole, and replace the green clip:

DSCF8014.jpg

9 - Replace the electrical connector, then start the engine to test for leaks.

10 - Replace the engine cover and close the bonnet.

Having done a few runs it seems to have cured my starting problems and smoothed out the power delivery.

Not bad for £38 and about 4 minute work, including taking the photos!

Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: tr3m5
Not a dickie bird.....and it was serviced a month or so ago and Audi didn't report any issues, even though I asked them to check out the rough idle and poor starting.

Reactions: Baz8878
Richard - Was yours difficult to start only the first time or at anytime after that also. I ask because mine ticks over a bit rough and the first start is always slow - after that it starts fine for the rest of the day. If your symptoms were the same I'll give this a go. Thanks

Richard - Was yours difficult to start only the first time or at anytime after that also. I ask because mine ticks over a bit rough and the first start is always slow - after that it starts fine for the rest of the day. If your symptoms were the same I'll give this a go. Thanks

Yeah pretty much so, although some first starts were worse than other and therefore needed a second attempt #embarassing

nice guide just changed mine
couldnt find the lil fukker
as it was pointing downwards
just got mine from TPS £15.98 inc for sensor o-ring and a new clip

Is this a 'coolant temperature sensor' or a 'fuel temperature sensor' as it looks as though its fitted in the fuel line??

hmm you have got me thinking now
cos it stank of Diesel

**** just checked with a lad at audi is is the FTS

Last edited:
but both parts are the same
sois the CTS same part as the FTS ?

Its a generic temperature sensor, doesn't matter if its sensing the temperature of diesel or coolant.

I just wanted to clarify that it was actually the 'fuel temperature sensor' that was being changed.

i was changeing the coolant tem sensor
but saw this guide
and thanks for pointing it out iv just changed the sensors back around and ill be puting it in the right place tmoro
back of the engine where is should go
and iv done so many on petrols but with it been diesel i just went with the guide

Do you know what number measuring block the values for the fuel temp sensor can be found??

I have a Snap-On Solus which can view measuring blocks but you have to know which number as where to look, there is no actual description.

ill ask my mate tmoro i know hes got a solus so he might know

rich the CTS it to the left of the 1 you did
and very well hidden
oh and get someone with skinny arms its a rite ****in killer.
524631d7.png

:readit: ******!

Thanks Bez, I thought it was too easy to be true!!!!

Ive now located the bleeder and swapped it out - need to top my coolant up as a result tho.

I'd best re title the thread!

i did it with a hot engine
and god did i burn my arm

Lol at this thread :lmfao:

I've edited it, Rich are you happy with how it is now?

hi bez
i still cant find coolant sensor even with the picture! could you give me a bit more detail as to the position?
thanks

Hi,
I also have faulty reading on my temperture guage and can't find my CTS on my BRD engine.
Can anyone help me out?

Thanks