1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

[HOW-TO] MFSW + Cruisecontrol retrofit

henkkeumus Dec 26, 2019

1. henkkeumus

henkkeumus Dutch Retrofitfanatic

After being active on the dutch Audi forums for a while I found out that the Audi-Sport.net forum is much more active. Since I'm an retrofit fanatic I can be of much more use on these forum then the dutch one, hence my first how-to topic on this Audi-Sports forum :).

First of all, I before reading further. I will not be responsible for any damage done to you or your car. In this how-to you will need to disasemble the airbag and airbags can be dangerous explosives if you don't handle them with care. Before doing anything, disconnect the battery from your car!

Things you need

Tools:
    • VAGCOM
    • Torx - TX40/TX25/TX10
    Parts:
    • Multifunctioneel steeringwheel.
    • Airbag that fits
    • Airbagcable with MFSW connector – 8P0 971 589 AD
    • Blinker + CC handle - 8P0 953 513 B
    • The right slipring (Partnumber 1K0)
    • The right steeringwheel unit
    • Steeringwheel column dashboard plate: 8P0 953 512A 6PS

Not all parts are necassery, to find out if the units are compatible with the parts you want to fit please check the Ross-tech website and compare the numbers corresponding to yours; http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Steering_Wheel_Control_Module_Versions

Note worth reading
    Audi made steeringwheels and airbags in different manners. Most of the early 8P models got a steeringwheel and airbag that will fit and hold with only two screws on the side. Somewhere around 2005 Audi introduced a new airbag that is hold in place by 3 pins (see photo below) AND the two screws on the side. So when buying a new steeringwheel or airbag please make sure that it will fit. I made the same mistake trying to fit a 1st gen airbag into a 2nd gen steeringwheel. Next to that (stating the obviouse here) check if your airbag is suitable for 3 or 4-spoke steeringwheel.

(Screenshots are in Dutch but you will get the point).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Montage
    Don't start disasembling, please disconnect your battery first!!

Step 1
    Disasemble the original airbag. Turn your steeringwheel 90 degrees. This way you can remove the clips that will reveal the TX25 torx screws that will hold the airbag.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Step 2

When you screwed down both torx you can slowly pull the airbag from the steeringwheel. I say slowly because there will be one or two connectors behind it you need to disconnect with a tiny space.

Pull the orange clip towards you (see 2nd photo) to disconnect the airbag from the slipring and (optional) pull the MFSW connector from it's clip.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Step 3
    When the airbag is out of the way you can start disasembling the steeringwheel. This is a TX40 screw. I pulled out the keys of the ignition and let the steeringwheel fall into it's steeringlock so I can set some extra pressure.

Audi made a notch so the steeringwheel can be perfectly aligned with the steeringhub when assembling back together. Try not to change the slipring position when pulling the steer of it's hub.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Step 4
    If you'd only like to replace the steering wheel you can reverse the steps from here. If however you want to retrofit the CC aswell, please keep reading :).

To make sure your slipring doesn't move throughout the retrofit put some tape on it.

To reveal and remove the two TX25 screws please push the top steeringcolumn plate to the back and up, it's hold by two plastic clips on the side that will pop-off easily. After those two screws head down under and remove the bottom one aswell. It's next to the lever to change the steeringwheel positition.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Step 5
    When all screws are disconnected gently pull the dashboard trim away. Safety first since there are a lot of fragile parts here.

After you removed the trim the steeringwheel unit (computer) will be visible. This unit is hold by 1 TX10 screw and two (easily breaking) plastic clips. The trick is to get your finger between the trims and press the back one and hold the first one with some kind of a screwdriver. Don't force it down, but don't be scared to give it a little push either.

When the unit is loose pull the slipring off by prying the top covers off. The whole ring will come of as one piece.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Step 6
    The original blinker is being held on it's place by the clip on the side. Put a screwdriver in between it and gently pry the handle off by pulling it towards you.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Step 7
    The only thing to do now it fitting the new Blinker/CC handle and code it for your vehicle.

If you (like me) don't already have a dashboard trim that suit the new handle there is one additional extra step.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(Additional) step 8
    The original dashboard trim won't fit because of the new CC handle. So if you don't have a dashboard trim you need to retrofit your existing one. I already ordered a new trim so I just grabbed a grinding wheel and put it in there :).

[​IMG]

Step 9
    When everything is assembled in reverse order the only thing left is coding your A3.

To enable the MFSW switches on your steering wheel.
    The options below also work for 3-spoke steering wheels.
    [16-Steeringwheel]
    [Coding-07]
    x?xxx: MFSW switches

0 = 3-Spoke, w/o Tiptronic, w/o Multi-Function
    1 = 3-Spoke, with Tiptronic, w/o Multi-Function
    2 = 4-Spoke Multi-Function (with Radio Control)
    3 = 4-Spoke Multi-Function (with Radio/Telephone Control)
    4 = 4-Spoke Multi-Function (with Radio/Telephone/Voice Control)

Steeringwheel unit:
    Change the 4th bit. In this case it would be bit 4 changed into; 2 or 4.
    [16-Steeringwheel]
    [Coding-07]
    xxx?x: MFA / CC

0= without computer (MFA), without Cruise Control
    1= with computer (MFA), without Cruise Control
    2= without computer (MFA), with Cruise Control
    3= with distance control
    4= with computer (MFA), with Cruise Control
    5= computer (MFA), with distance control

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Motormanagement unit (ECU):
    [01-Motor]
    [Coding II-11]
    Login: 11463 to activate CC.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Result

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2019
    nick4501 likes this.
  2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. henkkeumus

Ah I just saw that I placed this topic in the wrong subforum, I'm very sorry, can somebody move the post to the 8P chassis subforum for me? :blush:

Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
  4. DJAlix

DJAlix VAG Car Coding™ Limited Site Sponsor Gold Supporter VCDS Map User VAG Can Professional ODIS (Offboard Diagnostic System)

Fantastic write up!

henkkeumus likes this.
  5. Louis Scott

Louis Scott Registered User

When i try to code it says can only enter numbers but it says x? Im completely new to vcds

6. henkkeumus

You see the options underneath it, right..

The option you have should go on the '?' place.
    The ? is only there to show that on that spot (that bit) a number should be placed.

The X can be ignored, just leave the numbers that are already there on its place.

ALWAYS STORE A COPY OF YOUR ORIGINAL CODING IN CASE YOU SCREW UP!

So lets say I want to code my steeringwheel for CC and I have a boardconputer. My coding would be 'xxx4x' where the X stand for other bits that are not needed and shouldnt be touched. Just change the 4th bit.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONEPLUS A5010 met Tapatalk

7. Louis Scott

My coding was 0000022 i changed 00040 and now the steering wheel has power and does the volume, it allows me to scroll through radio stations but the mode button and speech button doesnt do anything. I have the audi nav rnse so surley the mode button should switch between radio, aux etc, the voice thing shouldn't work as i dont have a mic. Thanks

8. henkkeumus

The mode button: Only switches between RADIO/CD-Changer/Telephone. So if you don't have a bluetooth module fitted in your A3 it won't do anything. Next to the bluetooth module you can install a telephone installation behind your RNSe so you can interact with your RNSe and mobile phone. Just like the bluetooth module, a CD-changer is not a basic and common fit in an A3. So if it's not installed the mode button won't do anything, maybe give you a "error" on your DIS (driver information screen) that you need to connect your phone.

The speech button: Will work, you can talk but when you don't have a line in 'MIC' installed it won't do anything ofcourse.

The basic things will work and that is the volume and scrolling through radio stations.
    You can buy an aftermarket Bluetooth module for your RNSe. It plugs into the back of the quadlock connector on the CD-player/changer port. It behaves like a CD-changer (is emulates it to be precise). If you have this fitted the MODE button will switch between CD-Player (that is actually a bluetooth player) and Radio.

I'm located in Holland, and I bought this; https://www.carinterface.nl/bluetoo...apter-audi-autoradio-spotify-deezer_mn-b-vw12

It's just a Chinese bluetooth dongle but does the job perfectly :).

9. Louis Scott

Thanks mate, i ordered one for about £6 on ebay last week, should be here any day now