1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to make your B9 RS4 sound like a B8 for £20..

Addict Jun 6, 2018

1. Addict

Addict Well-Known Member

Ok so that’s not strictly true… however…

I was at the Listers Audi Experience day last week and got chatting to a few technicians about the RS4 exhaust note, the new regulations, how it will affect cars in the future and so on. All very interesting but that’s a longer conversation and I haven’t got time for that right now..

However, we got on to the big debate about the new RS4/RS5 engine and the lack of grunt after the B8. So whilst not strictly recommended, they suggested just disconnecting the valves on the exhaust and turning off the ‘sound actuator’ – yes gentlemen, the myths are true. There is indeed sound pumped into the car to make up for the lack of noise from the exhaust!

So a quiet word in someone’s ear and a £20 note later.. I have the valves always set to open (this overrides Comfort, Dynamic etc) and the sound actuator turned down to 20%, although will probably get this turned off completely.. and boy what a difference this makes!

So of course it's no V8... but it now sounds (and feels!) like a completely different car, with a very deep rumbly poppy exhaust no matter what settings you are in.

I have done a few hundred miles on the motorway now in it also, and it’s all fine and dandy. Yes there’s some ‘drone’ but to me it just sounds like an RS4 is meant to sound. The only downside, is the exhaust note has so much deep base now, that you don’t want to be leaving too many bits and bobs and coins lying around in the car!

But, I think I can live with that with the improvement to the sound. More testing to be done yet but so far so good. You can also of course switch it into individual and change the engine to ‘Comfort’ whilst doing motorway miles which knocks the revs down over so slightly.

It’s in 8th gear around 60-70mph when you get the most base out of it and you hear your change rattling a bit. But other than that, it now feels like a different car with a very raw RS feel to it. It also feels faster too! I just got just over 30mpg out of it on a 100 mile drive also, so not too bad at all.

The other bonus is it helps me keep more to the speed limit as you really know when you’re going above 90mph.. oh, and it should use less fuel as I wont feel the need to put it into Sport/Dynamic as often to make it rumble and pop any more.. as it’s now got all the grunt it needs in both Comfort and standard Dynamic :)

This is all a personal thing of course.. but assuming it doesnt rattle itself to bits, I'm no MUCH happier with the RS status of the car.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. terminator x

terminator x Well-Known Member Team Nardo Team V6 Audi RS4

Interesting but why is that any different to dynamic mode 100% of the time eg just switch out of comfort every ignition cycle?

TX.

PS when I was at Rockingham, car set to dynamic, I asked a few people what it sounded like ... all said it was almost silent!

Thundercliffe81 likes this.
  4. Addict

Addict Well-Known Member

it's a good question, and I dont know the answer. But believe me it sounds ALOT different. Pressumably dynamic opens and closes the flaps a bit but doesnt leave them fully open?

As for the PS... that's exactly why I'm tinkering with mine. It honestly sounds like a different car now!

5. Addict

Addict Well-Known Member

Hard to get the full sound on here but you can still tell the difference in tone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THQuattro and TYb like this.
  6. Spaceman_RS3

Spaceman_RS3 Well-Known Member Team Ibis Team Panther Audi S4 Audi RS3 Audi Avant Owner Group

Take it in dynamic it’s opens one valve fully then the other at3k revs or something? So with disconnected they are open at the lower revs also. Rs and s cars have run like that for years

7. Addict

Addict Well-Known Member

Yep, precisely that. So you get the nice rumble at low revs without needing to rev the **** out of it

Spaceman_RS3 likes this.
  8. Evil Derboy

Evil Derboy Well-Known Member Team Daytona Audi RS5 Owners Group

To get the full effect it needs to be in Dyanamic and with the gearbox set to Sport. Which obviously isn’t as fuel friendly and is a bit brutal compared to comfort.

I disconnected mine and connected them again after a test drive as the drone was too much. Might give it another go but I don’t like the idea of the connectors just being exposed to the elements underneath the car. Would be good if there was a blanking plug or something to protect them.

9. RAF_S7

RAF_S7 Well-Known Member Team V8 Gold Supporter Team Sepang Audi S7 A7 Owner Group Black Edition

There is. A number of the aftermarket exhaust manufacturers make these, mainly to stop the engine management throwing codes (Stored codes, not CEL)

I’ve been running my S7 without valve control for a couple of years now. Makes a huge difference.

Just Google “Audi exhaust valve blanking plug”. I use APR ones on mine :racer:

Addict likes this.
  10. Addict

Addict Well-Known Member

Some insulator tape or a condom probably do the trick also ;) (won’t stop the errors of course but will stop anything from getting wet)

11. Addict

Addict Well-Known Member

Just found some RS3 ones... are they car / gen specific?

12. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

13. Evil Derboy

Found some on ebay £27.49!!! and then you need to get terminators for the loom side. What a rip-off.

14. Addict

Addict Well-Known Member

Pack of condoms it is then

15. RGBARGEE

RGBARGEE Well-Known Member Team Mythos Team Daytona Team Phantom Audi RS4 Audi S3 Audi RS3 Black Edition Navarra Blue Classic Audi A1

IMG_0710.jpg Great cruiser... Does the £20 tip apply to standard and sports exhaust?

16. totoanto

totoanto New Member

Hi

Nice post.

I also have the valves always set to open but I don't know how to turn off sound actuator or set it to 20% as you described.

Can you tell me how you did it?

Regards,

17. Evil Derboy

VCDS / Carly / OBDEleven. However there’s no need to reduce the Soundaktor level. It only helps inside the cabin.

18. totoanto

totoanto New Member

Thanks for info

19. Evil Derboy

Yes. Both exhausts are the same as far as the flaps are concerned.

20. RGBARGEE

RGBARGEE Well-Known Member Team Mythos Team Daytona Team Phantom Audi RS4 Audi S3 Audi RS3 Black Edition Navarra Blue Classic Audi A1

Thanks based on a side by side try of RS5 with and without Sport exhaust I decided not to spend £1200 on the later. Just what are the differences to justify £1200 apart from Black tips?

21. Evil Derboy

Just like any exhaust upgrade. Louder and more free-flowing. Not sure what the exact technical make up of either is though to be honest. Personally I don’t like the black tips. Would have preferred chrome.

22. Addict

Addict Well-Known Member

Have a chat to your guys at Audi.. they can do it for you. Or if you have ODB11 you can probably do it with that I would think :)

23. oli356

oli356 Well-Known Member Team Sepang Sportback Audi S3 Black Edition S tronic

I was confused by the original post. How does turning off the soundaktor improve sound..... The whole idea is to make the car sound better at least inside ain't it?

I tried to turn mine off in my S3 while on the move, using carista. Maybe it just wasn't working or it couldn't be done while the car was running but I noticed no difference from 99% and 0%. Then again, if it makes the car quieter... Don't want that.

24. Addict

Addict Well-Known Member

It’s a personal choice thing. Personally I don’t like the fake sound inside the car, hence having it turned down as I prefer just the sound of the exhaust. But if you like it, leave it as it is :)

25. nervus

nervus Well-Known Member

Cut the fingers out of a rubber glove - less messy than a Blob!

26. cosmicblue

cosmicblue Active Member TeamMisano Audi RS4

I picked mine up this week and this weekend I'm planning to get OBD11 in there and turn down the fake sound.