1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

How to make the ride smoother on an Audi S3 Quattro?

ljwagerfield Aug 13, 2020

1. ljwagerfield

ljwagerfield Registered User

I'd like to purchase an Audi S3 Sportback Quattro (2016).

However, I have concerns over the ride being too bumpy.

Is it possible, or even advisable, to alter the car in some way to give it a smoother ride without replacing the 18" alloys?

I would be happy to forgo some handling (providing the car is still safe to drive!) if it meant the car felt more like a luxury saloon than a horse and cart.

I'm not a mechanic myself, so would be taking this to the garage to do.

---

Of course, I may buy the car and feel it's fine as-is.

I'd just like to know what recourse I have besides selling it or fitting 16" wheels.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
  2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. Adam14

Adam14 Registered User

I know some (not sure if relevant for a sportback) have the mag ride calibrated which helps minimise the bumpiness of the ride. @DJAlix on here does this (and could likely give more info than me) and he's phenomenal at what he does

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

ljwagerfield likes this.
  4. Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze Registered User

What year S3 you looking at ?

5. ljwagerfield

6. Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze Registered User

I don't think you should have any worries with the ride quality on the S3 especially on 18s .
    I have no issues with the ride on mine and i'am pretty fussy about ride quality .

ljwagerfield likes this.
  7. Damo S

Damo S Registered User

You'll have to try one out and see although its probably the wrong car for you. It is a firm ride, its bumpy, its not forgiving on rubbish or poorly maintained roads. That said, it's not as bad as some other cars I've owned. If you want a luxury feel then why are you looking at a hot hatch sports car?

8. ljwagerfield

"If you want a luxury feel then why are you looking at a hot hatch sports car?"​

I'd actually be open to alternatives :)

All I require is a small estate (for going to the dump) that looks sporty (i.e. something that comes with 18" wheels as standard, and is designed around that) and is a smooth ride.

I keep hitting the same conclusion that any hatchback / small estate with 18" wheels is going to be a bumpy ride... but maybe I'm wrong?

As an aside: I've been looking at the CLA Shooting Brake just now and it almost seems perfect, except the boot is so deeply recessed: the A3's is far more of a 'flat load' so it wins points there... but for a sporty looking A3, it's going to be a bumpy ride by the sounds of it.

I'm in full "spinning round in circles" mode!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
  9. alpesh26

alpesh26 Registered User

I'd look at the A3 S-Line rather than the S3. It has the S bodykit. Try and find one with the standard suspension rather than the S-Line suspension

10. ljwagerfield

"Try and find one with the standard suspension rather than the S-Line suspension"​

Very interesting, thank you, I will do that!

11. Peter82

Peter82 Registered User

Why u just don't go and book drive test?? :suspicion:

12. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

13. TYb

TYb Registered User

I found my facelift 3 door suspension to be relatively compliant, that was a non mag ride, I don’t think you’d want it any softer, it’s wasn’t the sharpest at the best of times.

14. rafletcher

rafletcher Registered User

On my A4 I had 18” rims, 45 profile tyres, and the “Sport” (20mm drop) suspension and it was fine. S-Line was a further 10mm drop, and that was rock hard even on 18’s - a bit like my S3 on 19’s is!