How to make mirrors go down when in reverse ?

Chris S 1245

Reaction score
as Title suggests not figured out how to use the feature on S4? How do you activate it?

I believe this comes part of a pack if it actually does it.

Other than that it’s not a standard feature

Reactions: Happy Grumpz
Not that I can be bothered to go on the Audi Configurator but my memory suggests that I remember seeing it as part of the power folding door mirrors

Not that I can be bothered to go on the Audi Configurator but my memory suggests that I remember seeing it as part of the power folding door mirrors

6e4689e30e1c07016bd5f92b87afb9fb.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: samh1992
as Title suggests not figured out how to use the feature on S4? How do you activate it?

Move the side mirror knob/button to the left or kerb side, put the car in reverse and it should dip. S4 has it as standard as part of folding mirrors.

You have to set the feature first, before it will work.

1. Turn the adjustment knob to the passenger side mirror.
2. Select reverse gear.
3. Using the mirror adjustment knob, adjust the position of the passenger side mirror, until you get the reversingbview you want.
4. Select forward gear.
5. The mirror (if you have this feature fitted) shouldmnow return to the position it was in before you selected reverse gear.
6. Select reverse gear, mirror should move to reversing position.
7. This feature only works on the passenger side mirror.
8. I think (not with my car just now) that the feature is only enabled if the mirror adjustment knob is turned to the passenger side mirror.....
:racer:

Reactions: WesT-gefül and V6_Man
Have to say I find this not that practical and easier to just dip the mirror when I need to. But then again I’m not parallel parking against a kerb every time I select reverse.

7. This feature only works on the passenger side mirror.
8. The feature is only enabled if the mirror adjustment knob is turned to the passenger side mirror.....
:racer:

+1 ^^^^

Thx for the replies guys unfortunately my car doesn’t have folding mirrors bit ridiculous it doesn’t come as standard on a car in the 50K price range. Thought it would have it as standard like My friends Golf :/

Not the Audi way, and some do not wish to pay for something they feel they don't need. The audi extra options cost has been done to death and my Ford, VW, Vauxhall or Dacia came with everything argument...

Reactions: Rocksteve69
Thx for the replies guys unfortunately my car doesn’t have folding mirrors bit ridiculous it doesn’t come as standard on a car in the 50K price range. Thought it would have it as standard like My friends Golf :/
I made that mistake with the RS3! Such a cheap option they should make it standard imho.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: NevMan
To be honest, I don't think the dipping mirror feature is that good anyway. I need to find a way to turn it off.

Because the mirror only starts to dip after selecting reverse, it feels like I'm waiting for ages (i'm obviously not, it just feels that way) before I can start moving. With my last car, it was really no issue to be selecting the left mirror and adjusting it as I approached a space, and then just fine tune it as I stopped and selected reverse. Add to that those annoying times when you want to reverse without a dipped mirror, but have the mirror selector still on the passenger side, just adds to it being a feature I'd like not to have.....and yes, of course that's my fault.

The auto-folding part is very handy though.

I don’t get the nuisance factor. I keep the control knob in the centre and then the passenger mirror doesn’t dip when I don’t want it to. Simple.

Reactions: RAF_S7, Terminator x and Daggerit
Ahh... maybe I've misunderstood the operation here. Will have a play later.

It goes bonkers every now and then anyway and you find yourself having to re-set the passenger mirror when you realise it's not gone back to where it should've.

To be honest, I don't think the dipping mirror feature is that good anyway. I need to find a way to turn it off.

Because the mirror only starts to dip after selecting reverse, it feels like I'm waiting for ages (i'm obviously not, it just feels that way) before I can start moving. With my last car, it was really no issue to be selecting the left mirror and adjusting it as I approached a space, and then just fine tune it as I stopped and selected reverse. Add to that those annoying times when you want to reverse without a dipped mirror, but have the mirror selector still on the passenger side, just adds to it being a feature I'd like not to have.....and yes, of course that's my fault.

The auto-folding part is very handy though.
Funny, I find it invaluable :friendly wink:
To turn off just don't have your mirror knob set on passenger side...solved

Or the middle. Or the heated mirrors position. Basically any position except for the left mirror... :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Those tips don't work, but thanks for them.

I'd prefer to pull up to a space and be able to adjust the mirror before selecting reverse or actually reversing, so I need to select the passenger mirror. What happens at the moment is that as soon as select the mirror (and regardless of where I start to move it to), as soon as I select reverse it starts to move to where it was last time I used it in reverse.

For me at least, it just seems to be a waste of time having to wait for the mirror after selecting reverse. So I now find myself starting to reverse while the mirror is still moving and I just know that one day a kerb is going to bite my wheel!

I actually prefer parking the wrong way i.e. drivers side by the kerb, just so I can adjust the mirror as I want.

I'm waiting for Cuke2U to tell me the auto-dipping can be switched off and that it's in the manual. I certainly can't find anything in the MMI though.

Still, trivial gripe really, and feeling happy that I've not suffered from any of the real problems others have posted about.

So when your mirror dial is not selecting passenger mirror, it still dips? Odd

Maybe read this thread: https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/auto-dipping-passenger-mirror-fun-and-game.306180/
No. When the selector is in any other position, the pax mirror stays put. But I want to adjust it when reversing, or just before. So if I pull up to a space with the selector on the pax side and select reverse, the mirror goes to where it was last time I adjusted it in reverse. All works fine and as advertised.

What I'd prefer, is for the pax mirror to stay put i.e. looking at the inside lane when I select reverse with the mirror selector on the pax mirror, and for me to then adjust how I like. Yes, basically like everyone without folding mirrors has to do, but with the advantage of the mirrors folding.

Having read that thread you linked to, I'm going to count myself lucky and just use it how Audi intended :grinning:

Those tips don't work, but thanks for them.

I'd prefer to pull up to a space and be able to adjust the mirror before selecting reverse or actually reversing, so I need to select the passenger mirror. What happens at the moment is that as soon as select the mirror (and regardless of where I start to move it to), as soon as I select reverse it starts to move to where it was last time I used it in reverse.

For me at least, it just seems to be a waste of time having to wait for the mirror after selecting reverse. So I now find myself starting to reverse while the mirror is still moving and I just know that one day a kerb is going to bite my wheel!

I actually prefer parking the wrong way i.e. drivers side by the kerb, just so I can adjust the mirror as I want.

I'm waiting for Cuke2U to tell me the auto-dipping can be switched off and that it's in the manual. I certainly can't find anything in the MMI though.

Still, trivial gripe really, and feeling happy that I've not suffered from any of the real problems others have posted about.
I don't think you can turn it off, having look briefly in the manual. But surely you could just set it at the same position you have them at before you select reverse?

I am slightly confused here. So, when I reverse / parallel park why would I need to adjust the mirror to a different dip settings every time? It is not that the kerbs are any different in one city to another or perhaps one street to another or that they tend to move further away while you reverse. The kerb height might be different but kerb stays exactly where it is, all the time!

The whole idea behind mirror dipping is for you to adjust it to your 'preferred' settings and leave it there. It would and should change only if your seating position changes. But then why would you change your seating position everytime you sit in the car. Confused.com!

Ai is a very simples man and ai like to keep things simples!

Reactions: 45bvtc, Happy Grumpz and NevMan
I am slightly confused here. So, when I reverse / parallel park why would I need to adjust the mirror to a different dip settings every time? It is not that the kerbs are any different in one city to another or perhaps one street to another or that they tend to move further away while you reverse. The kerb height might be different but kerb stays exactly where it is, all the time!

The whole idea behind mirror dipping is for you to adjust it to your 'preferred' settings and leave it there. It would and should change only if your seating position changes. But then why would you change your seating position everytime you sit in the car. Confused.com!

Ai is a very simples man and ai like to keep things simples!

+1 to all of the above. I think it is a cracking feature :icon thumright:

I don't think you can turn it off, having look briefly in the manual. But surely you could just set it at the same position you have them at before you select reverse?
Maybe I am wrong, but pretty sure mine doesn't dip in reverse if not set on passenger side. I shall try tonight when I leave work and report back

Reactions: V6_Man
Maybe I am wrong, but pretty sure mine doesn't dip in reverse if not set on passenger side. I shall try tonight when I leave work and report back

It will never dip if not set on passenger side. It should not dip if it is set to driver side. However, if it does dip then rest assured that you have two passenger side mirrors on the car; one on each side

No. When the selector is in any other position, the pax mirror stays put. But I want to adjust it when reversing, or just before. So if I pull up to a space with the selector on the pax side and select reverse, the mirror goes to where it was last time I adjusted it in reverse. All works fine and as advertised.

What I'd prefer, is for the pax mirror to stay put i.e. looking at the inside lane when I select reverse with the mirror selector on the pax mirror, and for me to then adjust how I like. Yes, basically like everyone without folding mirrors has to do, but with the advantage of the mirrors folding.

Having read that thread you linked to, I'm going to count myself lucky and just use it how Audi intended :grinning:

So our suggestion did work then? Like @Tashfeen I am confused as to why you would keep wanting to change it. Surely you set the dip based on seat position and height down so you get a view of wheel, then that is all you worry about, and make sure you don't drive said wheel into the kerb! :racer:

Reactions: V6_Man
You are correct, as has stated by other's...

I'm struggling to find the issue to be honest. I don't think that it takes any more time to dip than if I was doing it myself and actually means I can start my manoeuvre sooner than I would if I had to wait and dip it manually before I started reversing. By the time I need to look in it, it's already in the right position. :)

Reactions: V6_Man, Fozzie1960 and NevMan
I'm struggling to find the issue to be honest. I don't think that it takes any more time to dip than if I was doing it myself and actually means I can start my manoeuvre sooner than I would if I had to wait and dip it manually before I started reversing. By the time I need to look in it, it's already in the right position. :)

+1

Reactions: Daggerit
I guess I must be impatient. I definitely find I spend less time parking facing the "wrong" way because I'm already adjusting the drivers mirror as I pull up to a space. So as I stop and select reverse, I can start moving immediately. This morning, parking the right way (and as a result of this thread), I felt really conscious of the fact that I was stationary in reverse and waiting for the mirror to finish doing its thing before I could move.

My "issue" (which of course to any normal person, wouldn't be an issue:smiley:), is probably not helped by me trying to adjust the passenger mirror in the same way I do the drivers mirror i.e. while I'm approaching a space, only for me to begin reversing and seeing the mirror then moving to where it was last set to!

So. Not an issue. Don't try and outsmart the mirror. Set it for reversing …….. and leave it alone! And accept it only takes a few seconds to adjust on its own.

On the plus side (and despite my pointless gripe), 6 months in and the wheels are unmarked, even though I park against kerbs at least 4 times a day.

Reactions: NevMan and Daggerit
I guess I must be impatient. I definitely find I spend less time parking facing the "wrong" way because I'm already adjusting the drivers mirror as I pull up to a space. So as I stop and select reverse, I can start moving immediately. This morning, parking the right way (and as a result of this thread), I felt really conscious of the fact that I was stationary in reverse and waiting for the mirror to finish doing its thing before I could move.

My "issue" (which of course to any normal person, wouldn't be an issue:smiley:), is probably not helped by me trying to adjust the passenger mirror in the same way I do the drivers mirror i.e. while I'm approaching a space, only for me to begin reversing and seeing the mirror then moving to where it was last set to!

So. Not an issue. Don't try and outsmart the mirror. Set it for reversing …….. and leave it alone! And accept it only takes a few seconds to adjust on its own.

On the plus side (and despite my pointless gripe), 6 months in and the wheels are unmarked, even though I park against kerbs at least 4 times a day.

I get where you're coming from, I think you just need to modify your approach for the mirrors and just start reversing immediately and let it do it's thing while you are. then when you start getting close to the curb it'll already be in position ready for you! :)

I get where you're coming from, I think you just need to modify your approach for the mirrors and just start reversing immediately and let it do it's thing while you are. then when you start getting close to the curb it'll already be in position ready for you! :)
agree, I tend to start reversing have a good-ish idea where the kerb is, and then modify/adjust accordingly as if goes into place.....3.49 secs by the way (joking)

Reactions: Daggerit
agree, I tend to start reversing have a good-ish idea where the kerb is, and then modify/adjust accordingly as if goes into place.....3.49 secs by the way (joking)

Yeah, I'm not using the mirror until I get close to the curb anyway. It's only there for the fine tuning of the parking... Haha

Reactions: V6_Man and NevMan
Has anyone figured out yet how to retrofit mirror dipping by coding?
To my knowledge this is not possible (yet).

@DJAlix any clue? It fails when it comes to coding of the MMI menu item.