How to install tuning box on an S3

The DTUK box was going to be the first mod when I get my S3, but I don't think its as good as the hype suggests. Its not that easy to fit, and although its not a cheap eBay resistor in a box, all it does is increase boost? I was under the impression it adjusted fuelling too since it goes into multiple sensors. I would rather have a proper map than the risk of running it lean.

It's still a glorified resistor, just because it might be digital rather than analog and have a few more bits, it's still just taking an input signal and in/decreasing the output.

Basically I was under the impression that the box could be connected in 10 mins. Had the idea that if something went wrong I could remove it at the road side. Obviously that's not possible.

I think you're kidding your self? In pouring rain in the middle of no where turbo gone pop and you're going to remove the box?
I think if you fit a tuning box or what ever you need to accept that should an unexpected failure occur you may well have to give your warranty a kiss goodbye.

Reactions: elpaulio
steeve, I gotta disagree with you. I have had my FSR+ box fitted from day 1. When I went into Audi to order the new RS3 a couple of weeks back they wanted my car in to scan it, because they knew it had a tuning box fitted, to ensure they could offer me a PX and they were warranty covered on my car. The car came back clean and they were happy to PX it.

Have an ECU map and you're screwed.

Reactions: Nawaid
That's great news. RS3 when? Colour? Just spotted the details on your sig.

I must say I'm wondering if were going in for a failed turbo or engine issue rather than buying a new car if they would have been so helpful.
I know the fitting of a tuning box doesn't add the flag, but in the event of an engine warranty claim and an owner hasn't been able to remove the box I wonder what then?

I often think I'd like a bit more power would be nice, but I'd go the RS3 route to get it.

You're lucky then as a td1 can and should be flagged by the technician if he spots the box. Not all dealers would be so tuning box friendly I'd guess!

Why would the technician be able to flag a td1? I wouldn't think they had the access to do so, it's the ECU that does it.
A ******-off techie could flag every car he plugs in.....

@steeve, in my sig. Also the RS3 forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought that the box was as plug and play as the mtm one, which would be very easy to remove at the roadside.

That is exactly what I plan on doing upon any issue, hence why this box isn't any good for me

I must say I'm wondering if were going in for a failed turbo or engine issue rather than buying a new car if they would have been so helpful.

I hear what you're saying, but then again.. only a fool looking for warranty work leaves the kit fitted!!!

I know the fitting of a tuning box doesn't add the flag, but in the event of an engine warranty claim and an owner hasn't been able to remove the box I wonder what then?

That is the exact problem you have to accept on fitting any kit, even as simple as the MTM. Should there be an incident and you are in hospital because of it, and your car is recovered, the MTM ain't gonna remove itself is it.

That is the exact problem you have to accept on fitting any kit, even as simple as the MTM. Should there be an incident and you are in hospital because of it, and your car is recovered, the MTM ain't gonna remove itself is it.
If I was in hospital the last thing I'd be worried about is a car warranty! The car would more than likely be written off and the insurance would pay out.

Then I would say, the insurance would only pay out if you declared it was modified in the first place

Okay so i changed my mind and got the box fitted by a garage.. very easy job when you can actually get under the car.

But anyhow, at the moment i'm a little underwhelmed but hopefully it's just settling in.

I fitted mine in 15 minutes, slightly fiddly as i didnt jack the car up to remove the tray.

there are many different setings on the box, program 1 was quite mild, 2 a bit quicker, 3 is pretty damn impressive. Mine is set at program 3+2.

@JordanQuattro whats yours set at ?

3+ 2! Found it the most useable, 3+3 makes the gearbox go a bit funny!

Will switch over to 3+2 then, cheers for that, thought i was imagining things!!

How do I change the setting to 3+2 on the new style box with the buttons?

The keypad seems locked and I left the instructions at home. Want to give 3+2 a blast on the motorway

Press and hold the plus and minus for about 10 seconds. Then select program 3 by pressing the P, then press the plus button twice. After about another 10 seconds the LEDs will start blinking to confirm what program its in

Reactions: alijnclarke
Hi - I've only ever had mine set to 3+3 - my S3 is a manual. I'd expected 3/3 to be the best for performance but is the +3 2 tune just as good or just different power delivery ?

The guys at DTUK say each program in setting 3 reflects where the power comes in, so 1 is lower down, 2 is mid range and 3 is top end

Reactions: monopole, alijnclarke and RGS3
Ahhh, I see, I'm going to have a play with it then - I assumed (wrongly) that 1 & 2 would have been less aggressive generally, personally I like the power to come in low or mid range so I'll try 1 & 2 out - many thanks

The guys at DTUK say each program in setting 3 reflects where the power comes in, so 1 is lower down, 2 is mid range and 3 is top end
Never knew that! Will give 1 a shot as well then. Was really hoping for a bit more seat throw back, but don't seem to get that

Reactions: RGS3

Do you have solid info you can show us on this (@ABYSS) and is this for the latest files only or all revisions, I am still using the "Leo" file from around last August time when I purchased the box.

The 3 latest files are all based on map 3 from the original FSR system (4 maps). .. The only difference is in the reaction time of the box itself, and how quick 100% tuning takes place. Map 1 is the original map 3 maps 2 and 3 are progressively quicker. From our own experience and feedback, Map 3 is like map 1 plus pedal box and feels a lot quicker and the power is delivered a lot sooner

but we are talking about the map fine tuning.

so you are saying 3 is the most aggressive in terms of providing 100% tuning, but as JordanQuattro reports being told by DTUK = 3+1 most power bottom end, 3+3 most power top end of the rev range? is this correct?

so how does (-) tuning work on Map 3?

Sorry I've not been online.. The plus and minus doesn't affect where the power is produced is simply increases or decreases the effect of the map I.e the amount of boost that is being added by the chosen file/map

So map 1(program1) the power is coming in earlier at lower speeds then use the +3 for the most aggressive level of boost?
This is so hard for my small brain to take in.
I've tried quite a few different variations 3+3, 1+2, 2+2 etc, there is a difference in power from stock but it needs clarified what does what.

Can dtuk(@ABYSS) please put up a clear idiot proof list of the settings and what each one does, this should be one of the basic instructions when buying your product , it should be made very clear what each setting does, this will perhaps sort all of the questions from many members!
regards Mark

Why oh Why can we not have a sticky with a step by step instruction to do this? My Box came to me about a year back (I assumed it was a simple plug in and go) and it is still in the Garage. It's not that I can't do it.... I just don't feel comfortable not being in the UK where assistance is just round the corner!

Reactions: drummerdimitri
Why oh Why can we not have a sticky with a step by step instruction to do this? My Box came to me about a year back (I assumed it was a simple plug in and go) and it is still in the Garage. It's not that I can't do it.... I just don't feel comfortable not being in the UK where assistance is just round the corner!

There is step by step instructions inside the box. Takes 20 mins max to install if you can get the car up on ramps.