How to ideas wanted - Running a cable to Clearmounts phone holder

azibux1

Reaction score
Hi all

As above, ordered one of these www.audiphoneholder.com and am quite keen to neatly run a cable somewhere up to where the phone would be to save a messy cable trailing from the cig socket.

Any thoughts please on how to get any required bits of trim / panel off to get a cable ending up (neatly) somewhere near the centre air vents?

Thanks!

No real urgency and at the moment I might not even bother as I am in-between phones. Usually a through and through Android fan, but currently using a temporary iPhone until I get my next phone for a couple of months... So no point really running a lightning cable then ripping it all up again to run a USB C / micro USB

I'd look to sandwich the cable beneath the dashboard/facia moulding which is squishy and the bottom of the vent then tapping it to the back of the clear mount. You just need to get it behind the dash in the first instance which is the tricky part.

Reactions: karb0n and pburv
I was wondering if I could come out next to one of the air vents.. not sure if that's what you mean?

Reactions: Rob2k68
You should be able to feed the cable through where the center console meets the dash (bottom) arrow and then come out on top of the switch panel or air vent. Will be tight though.

In order to do any of this you will need to pop out the HVAV controls and the switch panel. HVAC = trim removal tool. Switch panel = x2 Audi radio removal keys, Airvent = just pulls out.

AUDIA3Sportbacke tron 4826 11

Edit: If your going though the effort of hiding the cable you might as well install a new 12v to the fuse box (tap existing fuse) and then run to the middle of the dash and up, existing from switch panel or air vent.

Reactions: tele2050, ahfh1, pburv and 1 other person
Yeah I probably would go for the extra / hidden 12v option so hopefully be able to leave the heater controls in situ and just remove the top row of switches with the radio keys then feed the cable back to the glovebox area?

Will have an investigate and see! Any chance you please have a link to the correct keys if you've done that part before?

Thanks!

Reactions: pburv and Rob2k68
Yeah I probably would go for the extra / hidden 12v option so hopefully be able to leave the heater controls in situ and just remove the top row of switches with the radio keys then feed the cable back to the glovebox area?

Will have an investigate and see! Any chance you please have a link to the correct keys if you've done that part before?

Thanks!
You will prolly need to have the HVAC controls out as the switch panel sits in a moulded plastic cage with a 1 or 2 cm hole in the middle for the cable to poke through. Not much space to work with. Removing this cage involves removing all the silver / aluminium trim pieces but Hvac should just pop out.

Reactions: pburv, T-800 and Rob2k68
I was wondering if I could come out next to one of the air vents.. not sure if that's what you mean?

Was thinking literally between the squishy pad here at the base of the vent as long as you can still fully insert the vent - possibly relieve some of the inner unseen wall locally.

IMG 2627

Reactions: pburv and T-800
Thanks for all the tips guys! :) Will check it out!!

All done! :D Tag for @Rob2k68! Went with the airvent option as it worked best. I was extremely surprised at how easily the airvent went back in, even with the clearmount and the cable behind it.

Quite happy with it :D I have shown 3 people and they've all asked why I didn't use a black cable haha. As said, I'm an android guy with a temporary iPhone, so the only two lightning cables I have are both white and borrowed with the phone I'm borrowing. Worry not, within the next couple of months it should be a nice black USB C cable :D

Anyone know roughly how much current a dashcam will use? Blackvue single channel. I have a 3amp fuse in the piggyback, but thinking I should maybe up it to a 5amp fuse... since the Qualcomm quick charge 2.0 charger port on the USB charger can use 3 amps itself it seems - alright for now with the iPhone as that is just 1amp max I think anyway. But for when I get my new phone it might need upping to 5amp.

Thoughts and comments appreciated :D I like how the cable nicely tucks behind the clearmount when not in use :)

17036845 10212832849275597 2145962523 o
17092823 10212832810234621 137427847 o

Reactions: Schizophonic, tele2050, ahfh1 and 4 others
All done! :D Tag for @Rob2k68! Went with the airvent option as it worked best. I was extremely surprised at how easily the airvent went back in, even with the clearmount and the cable behind it.

Quite happy with it :D I have shown 3 people and they've all asked why I didn't use a black cable haha. As said, I'm an android guy with a temporary iPhone, so the only two lightning cables I have are both white and borrowed with the phone I'm borrowing. Worry not, within the next couple of months it should be a nice black USB C cable :D

Anyone know roughly how much current a dashcam will use? Blackvue single channel. I have a 3amp fuse in the piggyback, but thinking I should maybe up it to a 5amp fuse... since the Qualcomm quick charge 2.0 charger port on the USB charger can use 3 amps itself it seems - alright for now with the iPhone as that is just 1amp max I think anyway. But for when I get my new phone it might need upping to 5amp.

Thoughts and comments appreciated :D I like how the cable nicely tucks behind the clearmount when not in use :)

View attachment 118715 View attachment 118716
Looks really good :) Am surprised that the vent went back in with no real issues, but good stuff!

Reactions: pburv, Rob2k68 and azibux1
Looks really good :) Am surprised that the vent went back in with no real issues, but good stuff!
Thanks! :D I was equally surprised ha. Was getting ready to drill/file a bit of the inside of the dash that you can't see, but never needed to in the end. Lightning cables are quite thin in comparison to some USB C / microUSB so will have to see how it goes with the new phone

Looking good mate - well done !!

Reactions: azibux1 and pburv
Very tidy job mate..
Could I make a suggestion???
Would look better if the cable was black instead of white..:shrug:

Reactions: Rob2k68 and azibux1
I have shown 3 people and they've all asked why I didn't use a black cable haha. As said, I'm an android guy with a temporary iPhone, so the only two lightning cables I have are both white and borrowed with the phone I'm borrowing. Worry not, within the next couple of months it should be a nice black USB C cable

Very tidy job mate..
Could I make a suggestion???
Would look better if the cable was black instead of white..:shrug:

Did somebody only skim read? :tongueclosed:

Reactions: pastey, Rob2k68, azibux1 and 1 other person
Hahaha thanks all...Yeah no worries will be black for the long term when I change the cable

Reactions: Rob2k68 and pburv
LoL could wrap it in black insulation tape just in the meantime if it annoyed you - like the way the magnet retains it when not in use.

Reactions: pburv
I wasn't sure if you were just being sarcastic for a moment @pburv lol.

Yeah I think I'll just leave it tbh @Rob2k68, it can be a talking point haha. The magnet isn't actually holding the cable, at least I don't think, it is just conveniently spaced from the dashboard such that the cable can tuck behind :)

You going to do a similar project or have no need to charge the phone in the car?

Yeah I think I'll just leave it tbh @Rob2k68, it can be a talking point haha. The magnet isn't actually holding the cable, at least I don't think, it is just conveniently spaced from the dashboard such that the cable can tuck behind :)

You going to do a similar project or have no need to charge the phone in the car?

If I was I'd definitely go down this route but battery wise it easily lasts a day or I'll charge at work if I forget to hook it up overnight.

Reactions: pburv and azibux1
If I was I'd definitely go down this route but battery wise it easily lasts a day or I'll charge at work if I forget to hook it up overnight.

Fair enough :) I easily get bored so was just a bit of a project haha. Hence why I even went to the effort just with the iPhone cable temporarily. I find it handy on long journeys when bluetooth streaming and satnav on the phone etc

Haha @Tom.H Got it right....I just commented without reading the post fully..:concern:
Not the first and certainly not the last....lol:friends:

Reactions: Rob2k68 and Tom.H
This looks cool. Nice one! :rock: Got me thinking of how cool it would be if Clearmounts did a wireless charging magnet. If they could incorporate your wiring idea behind and through the vent, but the central round magnet had wireless charging capabilities. The iphone 8 will prob have wireless charging so it would work on most phones then with no wires. They could make millions if they got it right. Wonder if you could patent this idea? not just for the Audi but the whole magnetised wireless charger.

This looks cool. Nice one! :rock: Got me thinking of how cool it would be if Clearmounts did a wireless charging magnet. If they could incorporate your wiring idea behind and through the vent, but the central round magnet had wireless charging capabilities. The iphone 8 will prob have wireless charging so it would work on most phones then with no wires. They could make millions if they got it right. Wonder if you could patent this idea? not just for the Audi but the whole magnetised wireless charger.
That would be awesome and I thought of similar! Have no idea of where to start designing that though lol

Reactions: pburv
Also @Rob2k68, the cable does magnetise to the mount when not in use...perfect! Haha

I wouldn't have thought this was possible - I think the magnet would interfere with the charging, wouldn't it?

Reactions: pastey

Looks good, might give this a try

Just fitted my Clearmount today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: azibux1 and Rob2k68
I wouldn't have thought this was possible - I think the magnet would interfere with the charging, wouldn't it?

It would be very doubtful as the magnet will interfere big time with the wireless charger (which uses induction technology which resolves around magnetic fields)

I would definitely buy one though if someone could figure out a way around it

Ahh yeah true regarding the magnet. Maybe instead of a round disk on the back of the phone...could have a doughnut shape that goes around the charging coils...But that ring would likely be quite big, making the mount big

Anyway after driving the car today...quick tip...I think it is worth getting some sticky back foam and sticking it to itself with the cable sandwiched in between as I think mine is possibly rattling a tiny bit on the top of the glovebox

Wonder if you could patent this idea? not just for the Audi but the whole magnetised wireless charger.

Now that you've posted the idea here I suspect it's no longer a an original and thus patentable idea ;-)

Reactions: azibux1
Anyone know if the magnet still works if fitted to a phone within a case? Such as the Apple silicone case?

Reactions: Rob2k68 and TimWills28
As above, still works... BUT obviously there is a reduction in the strength of the magnet.

It is still very solid! But my example was that I tested pressing the lock button on my iPhone 5S without holding the rest of the phone, and the phone did not budge even the slightest bit! Very impressive. With the phone in a silicone style case as you described, I tried the same test and the phone does get pushed down the mount a bit and you need to hold the phone slightly to press the lock button without it moving.

Still a great product I think! :D Just thought I'd give details on the little test I carried out so you know :) Even with the case, with general driving around, the phone does not move at all

Anyone know if the magnet still works if fitted to a phone within a case? Such as the Apple silicone case?

Unless I'm missing something as most phones are aluminium unless you have a case and stick the metal plate to the inside of the case then you'd have to stick the metal plate directly to the phone back which would look and feel naff.

I have a fairly chunky plastic case made by Spigen and the hold is still very strong.

I've biased the metal plate slightly off centre so that the phone sits between the clock on the MMI and the hazard warning light switch so it still has full contact of the plate to magnet. Maybe worth considering.

And you used a black cable! Ha nice :)

Reactions: Daveotto, pastey and Rob2k68
Have an iPhone 6s Plus with leather Apple case. You dont need to stick the metal plate to the case or the phone. The bigger rectangular metal part just sits nicely inside it and doesnt move. I take out my phone when at home and when i leave the house i put a case on it. Makes me able to change cases if i like. Not had any problem with Apple or Otterbox cases. Magnet is super strong so doesnt move at all.

Is it mostly PFL owners without Apple car play that are buying these mounts? I would love to have Car Play but as i dont i really "had" to invest in this mount as its the only good one on the market. Wireless Apple car play is coming soon so those with this set up surelly will no longer really need anything like this.

Have an iPhone 6s Plus with leather Apple case. You dont need to stick the metal plate to the case or the phone. The bigger rectangular metal part just sits nicely inside it and doesnt move. I take out my phone when at home and when i leave the house i put a case on it. Makes me able to change cases if i like. Not had any problem with Apple or Otterbox cases. Magnet is super strong so doesnt move at all.

Is it mostly PFL owners without Apple car play that are buying these mounts? I would love to have Car Play but as i dont i really "had" to invest in this mount as its the only good one on the market. Wireless Apple car play is coming soon so those with this set up surelly will no longer really need anything like this.

I have got one ready for my FL A3. Not really that interested in car play at this point - from what I have heard the sound isn't all that great and don't need the sat nav. Saying that my work phone is also an iPhone so I can ways shove that in the phonebox for carplay.

Reactions: Ormesome