How to clean and protect these wheels

jdp1962

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
I've just bought a set of A8 replica wheeels. They look to have polished rather than a painted finish. What should I be using to clean and protect them? Here are some pictures.

For best results, take each wheel off in turn. Process takes about 45 mins for each wheel, depending on initial condition.

Then:
  • normal shampoo wash and dry
  • use a good cleanser first, like JEFFS Werkstatt Prime strong Acrylic. This deep cleanses as well as leaving a fine coating of sealant.
http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/jeffs-werkstatt-prime- strong-polish.html
  • I normally follow up with 3 or 4 coats of JEFFS dedicated acrylic sealant on top. Alternatively, 3 or 4 coats of Poorboys wheels guard wax instead.
http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/poorboys-wheel-sealant- wheels.html

Buff residues over with MF cloths for great finish.

A couple of times a year should be enough to protect the wheels well. Normal shampoo washes thereon in once you've done this.

Hope this helps.

JOHN:icon_thumright:

yer i do something similar everytime i get new wheels, but i do it before i put them on the car, just makes it easier that taking them off etc

Yes, the Megs stage 1 deep crystal cleanser would prime the wheel by decontaminating it. The other 2 stages would then shine and protect.

It won't necessarily give the same durability as the Jeffs and Poorboys wheel sealant route though. The Jeffs Prime is also multi-purpose - on paint, smooth metals, wiper arms, non-porous interior and exterior plastics, interior and exterior windows creating a really good beading of water as well as deep cleansing. Remember it's a quality acrylic sealant as well as deep cleanser and all in the one bottle. It's a really good all-rounder, that's why it's always my first choice for many purposes. It represents excellent value for money IMO.

Other people have their choice, but the Jeffs is one of my favorite products because of the facts mentioned above. No other product I have tried has so many uses.

Cheers,
:icon_thumright:

I used the poorboys and jeffs stuff but mine still did this:

DSC00487.jpg

More down to the wheels than anything though.

i was really wanting a set of these polished wheels aswell but im having second thoughts,they seem to corrode pretty easy with the salt

Don't be put off by that pic Chris - they were 'well priced' replicas. It's case of the old saying - you get what you pay for.

Does not look good Justin. Sorry to see that. Defo looks like a grim job. I'm sure the affected wheel/s can be returned?

I only got thrm in August '07 too...

I contacted the company I got them off who said they'd arrange a courier to collect them, at their cost, so that they could assess them & check if the warranty covered them. They then said that if the wheels weren't properly packaged and were damaged in transit that the warranty would be void.

If it turned out they weren't covered under warranty, I would have been liable for any courier costs and/or repair costs.

There were too many get out clauses IMO, but that's just me being cynical. Don't get me wrong - the company were very good about it, they got back to me within 24 hours. I'm just wary of the returns policy. They'd have replaced them had they been covered but I decided not to follow the claim up as there was no guarantee that the new ones wouldn't do the same in 6 months time.

The wheels were only £240 anyway - I got the tyres seperately. I'm now trying to weigh up if it's worth getting them re-lacquered or cut my losses and get another set from elsewhere, poss flog these as a cheap set on fleabay (minus tyres tho).

I've just ordered a pot of the Poorboys sealant from Polished Bliss. Hope it arrives by the weekend

WX51TXR said:
Should do, if Royal Mail do us proud. :icon_thumright:

Yup! Gotta a text about an hour ago from She Who Must Be Obeyed, saying it had arrived.

:icon_thumright:

Have applied three coats of the Poorboys sealant . The wheels look and feel fantastic. With a bit of luck, and some careful parking, they should now stay that way.

good lad! just gotta keep them badboys clean now and top up with the sealent every few weeks