How To - Audi A3 Facelift Halogen Bulb Change

Nice little write up there :)

Just be careful when you do the 'test' if your in a manual car.

Someone(there is always 1!!!) is bound to switch the car on in this process and they'll be a little accident with a ruined side skirt and god knows what else.

Id chock the car, leaving gearbox in neutral, handbrake on. Always try to use flat ground.

Thanks!

On the facelift cars it won't let you start without dipping the clutch ;) may be different on prefacelift cars tho.

REMEMBER - TIGHTEN THE NUTS IN OPPOSITES AND DO YOUR FINAL TIGHTENING WHEN THE WHEEL IS ON THE GROUND AND THE JACK REMOVED

Nice write up bud, didn't realise you could access the bulbs from underneath! It's probably worth mentioning as well before you start to give the wheel nuts half a turn loosen when the car is grounded so you don't run the risk of knocking it off its jack when your fighting that initial resistance.

Reactions: a6_chris
I duno about anyone else, but aside from the indicators i've managed to access every bulb from the engine bay. Its tight but it can be done

I duno about anyone else, but aside from the indicators i've managed to access every bulb from the engine bay. Its tight but it can be done

Same here, I changed all my bulbs on the front of the car through the engine bay

Same here, I changed all my bulbs on the front of the car through the engine bay

Yes it can be done, I used a small round vanity mirror (not mine!) and flashlight and just kept looking what I was doing.
Follow bulb instructions exactly as per manual though!

You both must have small hands!

Its actually more getting ur hand into the right place. Its made alot easier by the fact the bulb pops in and out so easily, getting it back in is the tricky bit, taking it out is a doddle.

I'd also advise anyone who is changing bulbs to do both at the same time!

I agree, I changed the passenger side headlight a few weeks ago and this one failed on Friday morning.

I couldn't get the bulb to release on either side so followed elsa and bingo, far easier.

The clutch lock came in on 2007 so needs clutch depressed to start the car.

The snap fit of the bulbs really makes it easy to fit them in comparison with other cars that have really ****ty plastic brackets that go over the bulb and required 3 hands to fit unsighted.

Last edited:
Reactions: sliced
The A3 is actually gifted with space behind the headlight unlike my A6! :(

Air intake and airbox out for the drivers side and loosen the power steering reservoir for the passenger side!

IMG_0025.jpg~original

Done this many times. Its not bad when u know what ur doing, its just the process which takes long. U have plenty of space on offside when its all out, nearsides the more difficult one

Is it possible to replace the bulb via the engine bay if your fingers are small enough? It looks like its a twist, remove bulb / power and reconnect new one. Is the cable long enough if you were to go in via the engine bay?

I recently replaced the BMW lights and had to go in via the wheel (Without removing it) engine bay was a 100% no, power cable, clips were all easy to do without even looking. This audi one looks very similar but not too sure about the power cable once the cap has been removed.

On another note, if you were to drop the cap is it possible to get it back or does it fall into the bumper?

Nice write up man! Like someone that takes time and effort in these forums! I've got a 1.9tdi a3 facelift and want to change all my yellowing bulbs (H7x4, H11x2 for fogs, and The DRL halogen bulbs too) ...

Do you know 1. What fitment is the DRL bulbs?

And 2. Do I have to jack the car up or car I just take the headlights out?

Many thanks!