How to activate Google Maps / Earth

ScottishA4B9

Reaction score
How do you activate?
I've inserted a SIM card with credit on it but neither me nor the dealership can get Google Earth to work!!

Have you got other services to work on the sim, like online traffic, Petrol prices and Train news (these 3 services use the car sim, other services use your phone if tethered or bluetooth'd)

There's a google logo at the bottom but don't know what it means

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 2,688
Looks like you have no data connection as mine has google logo and online logo rather than TPC Pro (which is radio based).

I've got 3G with the data sim bit it keeps saying google service not available! Defo taken the shine off today! Even the dealership couldn't sort it!

You need to activate the Sim. This is exactly what happened to mine. Either put the Sim in a phone and activate it or leave the Sim in the car and while the phone is tethered (via USB not Bluetooth) you should be able to reach the service providers website on the phone and activate the Sim. The website knows it's the Sim in the car! Even though you're on your phone

My story on this. I got a Giffgaff SIM ordered. Put credit on it and got it working in a phone.

On collection day the sales guy set up the car using the wifi on my phone. It all worked fine, google maps fuel prices, traffic...

Then I put in my SIM and it all stopped. In the end I was too busy to spend long looking at it. That evening I went back to it and it suddenly started working. It just seemed to take a while to register somehow.

What I did discover is that you can text the number of the SIM and have it show up in the MMI. That allows you to test the SIM is plugged in OK.

Who's the provider of the SIM? You should be able to ring them and check the SIM is fully activated and activate it if it isn't.

Have you gone into the map settings in navigation? The view offering is 2 or 3 d, up north and Google. If it's saying mtc pro it would point to not being online, go into telephone, connection manager and check that data connection is showing data sim, it also gives you the option to select data only via card and phone calls by Bluetooth.

Yes I have done all these things and the dealership checked!

I too up the SIM card so it should be activated then?!!

I tried tethering with the phone but no luck!

It's with EE.

Just says Google services not available and won't accept pin or my log in details which are correct.

As Ive said before, it was by luck I activated mine. Pulled the phone out and opened chrome and the ee activation page was on it, even though my phone is with 02. So the car did somehow speak to my phone, just don't know how.

It took me 3 days of trying everything

I've got nothing to put the SIM card into to activate it and my phone doesn't pic it up when tethering!

Last edited:
Google chrome doesn't work on iPhone as it keeps saying no internet connection when I have full signal! So I can't use that route!

Both google and safari don't divert to any EE pages when open and mobile tethering activated!

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    24.6 KB · Views: 2,125
I've got google chrome working now but none of them have any pop up screens from EE when my tethering is on!

Managed it finally! I had to pop the nano size SIM card out and put it in my iPhone that way then pop it back into the bigger SIM card and put back in the car!

Reactions: AndrewMD and iambu
Well done!! Frustrating isn't it? You would have thought the phone shop would offer to activate it for you at point of sale.

Reactions: iambu
Yeah so frustrating but the dealership hadn't had an a4 with the virtual cockpit in yet so they didn't have a clue!

Thanks for the advice though!

Reactions: AndrewMD
Hello Everyone,
I just bought an used MIB Navigation plus with sim ,
Just I want to know
1) Can I use my own SIM card in the MIB to use WiFi hotspot,
2) Does it needs an active Audi connect subscription for using Google Earth map ?

Attachments

• 39C08A4F-9BD3-4C27-A54F-B828F7446CD6.jpeg
    39C08A4F-9BD3-4C27-A54F-B828F7446CD6.jpeg
    427.5 KB · Views: 780