How Safe is OBD Eleven?

sigibbons

Reaction score
Hi All

Just wondering what your thoughts are on the safety of OBD Eleven? Have you ever had or heard of anything going wrong needing a dealer to fix?

Which App and Dongle kit is best from them?

thanks!

Hi All

Just wondering what your thoughts are on the safety of OBD Eleven? Have you ever had or heard of anything going wrong needing a dealer to fix?

Which App and Dongle kit is best from them?

thanks!

I’ve been using OBD eleven for the last 4 years. This is my second car from VAG group. OBD is very safe as long as you use it right. I have a professional version which apart from standard switch on/off apps (completely safe) has long coding and adaptation ability. When it comes to long coding it acts pretty much like a professional VCDS tools used by service guys. If you start changing coding randomly of course you will end up with problems. I do quiet few adaptations and long coding but I always do the back up of the pre change stage. Before I apply new coding I do proper research. Also, if you miss to backup your control unit you have a history of your changes that you can refer to so you can restore previous settings.
When it comes to which option to go for I would suggest OBD eleven pro license straight away. You will save a lot of credits by applying your own adaptations/long coding available on the internet rather than paying for ready made apps.
For example wireless CarPlay app costs 100 credits and you can change it yourself by changing 4 values in adaptations for free. Also number of ready made apps is very limited and they don’t always work as they should.

Hope this help
Enjoy your car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for that. I don’t imagine I would do any long coding, I just want to change some of the Apps which are listed on the OBDEleven website for the C8.

Are there other apps you can download / use from elsewhere on the internet and for these do you need the Pro version?

thanks!

Thanks for that. I don’t imagine I would do any long coding, I just want to change some of the Apps which are listed on the OBDEleven website for the C8.

Are there other apps you can download / use from elsewhere on the internet and for these do you need the Pro version?

thanks!

I thought the same way. But believe me once you get into it you will won’t to get pro. Anyway the basic dongle is exactly same one as pro. Activation of pro is done online and can be purchased afterwards.
Apps can be added only by OBDeleven official update which happens very rare.

OBDEleven (Pro) is only as safe as the person mashing the buttons is sensible. It is a powerful tool, and if you change things without understanding what they do you can definitely get yourself in hot water very fast some of which might need a dealer to fix, and there are no warnings, failsafes, and no support. But used sensibly it is really a great device, and not much that it cannot do as far as tweaking the little personalisations that improve the car and enable things that should have been on form Audi in the post place. It's also a great scan tool with some live logging capabilities. It is cheaper and easier to use than VCDS but VCDS still wins for its reliability, and above all the support and community it provides which is non existent other than 1 very quiet forum for OBDEleven.

If you are only looking for 1 click apps OBDEleven is actually very limited in what it offers. But, if you download the app you can see what apps are available for your car and see if it does what you want it to do. I also have a Carista, and frankly there are WAY more 1 click apps on it than on OBDEleven, and for anyone who will never play with adaptations and long coding it is IMO the better option, but if you want to delve into coding and dent want to pay big money for a vcds and use a decrepit old windows machine to do it, OBDEleven is a fantastic purchase.

Reactions: pp2414
Hi Guys, some really useful information, thanks very much. I think from what you have said, I will not likely be going in to long coding. That being the case I'll go for the Carista and see what that can do for me initially.

So Carista/OBD11 Apps, do they simply activate 'hidden' menus on the car's infotainment, so that you can then toggle on/off from the touchscreen in the car, or is the only way to turn the settings on and off via the OBD plug and Carista app on your phone? I'm thinking about things I may need to use frequently, like switching the headlights to LHD when crossing on to the continent - at which time you really wouldn't want to be faffing around with the OBD dongle and Carista app.

Thanks.

When you activate certain features using OBD11, then you get the option to enable/disable that feature in the MMI for future use. But it’s not for ALL features.

Hi Guys, some really useful information, thanks very much. I think from what you have said, I will not likely be going in to long coding. That being the case I'll go for the Carista and see what that can do for me initially.

So Carista/OBD11 Apps, do they simply activate 'hidden' menus on the car's infotainment, so that you can then toggle on/off from the touchscreen in the car, or is the only way to turn the settings on and off via the OBD plug and Carista app on your phone? I'm thinking about things I may need to use frequently, like switching the headlights to LHD when crossing on to the continent - at which time you really wouldn't want to be faffing around with the OBD dongle and Carista app.

Thanks.

For your question about the specific setting of headlamps to LHD, Carista does not change this - it merely makes the option to set the headlamps appear in the MMI. I activated that and tried changing it in the MMI to LHD and nothing happened so it might be a dud. Supposedly the lights change automatically because the car knows what country you are in from GPS but I wasn’t convinced this worked either last summer when I was on the continent.

Regarding the other options on Carista, you change the car settings on the app and it doesn’t enable any further menu options on the car.

Perfect thanks for clarifying. I’ll order one and give it a go, even if the LHD headlights don’t appear to change much.

Perfect thanks for clarifying. I’ll order one and give it a go, even if the LHD headlights don’t appear to change much.

Even just disabling the seatbelt alarm is worth the purchase. As is enabling the taillights to be on during the day with the DRL (Scandinavian mode).

Again, before you buy, you can go to the website and see what tweaks are available for your car and decide then if it is worth the purchase.

I’ve been using OBD eleven for the last 4 years. This is my second car from VAG group. OBD is very safe as long as you use it right. I have a professional version which apart from standard switch on/off apps (completely safe) has long coding and adaptation ability. When it comes to long coding it acts pretty much like a professional VCDS tools used by service guys. If you start changing coding randomly of course you will end up with problems. I do quiet few adaptations and long coding but I always do the back up of the pre change stage. Before I apply new coding I do proper research. Also, if you miss to backup your control unit you have a history of your changes that you can refer to so you can restore previous settings.
When it comes to which option to go for I would suggest OBD eleven pro license straight away. You will save a lot of credits by applying your own adaptations/long coding available on the internet rather than paying for ready made apps.
For example wireless CarPlay app costs 100 credits and you can change it yourself by changing 4 values in adaptations for free. Also number of ready made apps is very limited and they don’t always work as they should.

Hope this help
Enjoy your car.

Hi

Just reviving this old thread...

I take delivery of new Black Edition Avant in a few weeks and I'm looking at purchasing OBD11 (probably the pro pack). Looking on their website (https://obdeleven.com/en/home/62-pro-pack-0758277987813.html) I note the following comments "The programming temporarily is not supported on models that are manufactured from 2020 and have SFD protection. The negotiation regarding the support of these models is in progress". Any idea what this means? Is long coding no longer possible on 2020 and later year models ?

Hi

Just reviving this old thread...

I take delivery of new Black Edition Avant in a few weeks and I'm looking at purchasing OBD11 (probably the pro pack). Looking on their website (https://obdeleven.com/en/home/62-pro-pack-0758277987813.html) I note the following comments "The programming temporarily is not supported on models that are manufactured from 2020 and have SFD protection. The negotiation regarding the support of these models is in progress". Any idea what this means? Is long coding no longer possible on 2020 and later year models ?
Possibly a temporary thing only. I did long coding to get wireless carplay enabled on my 2020 A6, this was done a few months ago without any dramas in OBD11. TBH you're better off sticking with the pre-programmed 'apps' in OBD11, ok they're not free but at least there's less chance of something going wrong.

Possibly a temporary thing only. I did long coding to get wireless carplay enabled on my 2020 A6, this was done a few months ago without any dramas in OBD11. TBH you're better off sticking with the pre-programmed 'apps' in OBD11, ok they're not free but at least there's less chance of something going wrong.
Hi Psychopomp, Thanks for the reply.

Sounds like there's not much point investing in the pro version for now then. I might email OBD to seek clarification.

I'm looking to enable the following features which I believe are all available via the app App:

Scandinavian DRL's (Did you mange to figure out animation on the rear lights?) I've seen a few long coding suggestions but I think its hardware related i.e. unless you have 'HD' Matrix lights animation isn't possible.
Wireless Apple Carplay
Video In Motion
Seat Belt Alarm

Any other recommendations ?

yeah scandinavian rear DRLs is a great mod, but you cant' switch on animation on rear lights, you need different lights for that.
I've also switched off lane switching feature, as I hate it. Only thing i cannot switch off permanently in OBD11 is the stop/start feature but its not the end of the world having to manually switch off this everytime i fire up the engine.

Video In Motion
Wait a sec, we can play videos on the screen?

What type of changes are people doing to their A6, either via a 1 click app or long coding? The interesting ones I see are

Video in Motion (quote above, didn't even know this was available whilst parked)
Turn off lane assist by default
Chirp the horn when pressing lock for when I forget where I parked

Wait a sec, we can play videos on the screen?

What type of changes are people doing to their A6, either via a 1 click app or long coding? The interesting ones I see are

Video in Motion (quote above, didn't even know this was available whilst parked)
Turn off lane assist by default
Chirp the horn when pressing lock for when I forget where I parked
You can indeed. It a one click app on OBD -

This is also worth a watch - . Once wireless Apple carplay is enabled () you can invest in MMB (approx £200) which allows access to third party apps on your iPhone. This should enable me to access the Sky Go app and therefore all recordings I have on Sky Q. Kids can sit and watch films on a long trip...

On a previous car I pulled out the wire from the handbrake to activate Video in Motion :icon thumright:

The wife has an iphone, she 'steals' the car constantly so it'll be good to set up for her and the kideroonies, thanks.