How On Earth Could This Happen

Reaction score
The LED strip has totally come away. All I can think is that the engine had to be accessed twice; timing chain failure and engine rebuild, and somewhere along the dismantling process, the light has been damaged.

There's no signs of tampering or damage to the lens or front of the car!

38d32b3d3feece3005381801444b3654.jpg

I have never seen that one before seen afew people with moths and bulbs in there headlights but never it falling to bits

Have you got any better pictures of it

How old is the car could you not go back to audi and tell them see if they will sort it out as a good will kind of thing

Definitely back to audi as that's not something I've seen before, I would push the point if need be.

Reactions: antowens
Definitely will. I'm totally clueless how to get the light unit out, never mind dismantle it to fix the problem!

Took the car in for its MOT this morning. Asked the garage to have a look at my LED strip. They said its a sealed unit, so will cost £600 for the whole unit. There's no other way of repairing or replacing the LED's!

If you going with a new unit you. might get different colour as it happened to me. Now I got husky audi.

Headlights come out dead easy. Remove the screws along the top of the slam panel and take it off. Loosen the 3 screws that hold the headlight and pull it forwards. Disconnect wiring then pull completely out.
Then I bet you can carefully prise/cut the lens off and repair the LED.

as above easy to remove.

then use a heat gun or hairdryer to warm up and split.
then either glue the strip back on or put back on its clips if it has them.

There are clips on the top, but I'm not sure about elsewhere. If I get a bit of time, I may have a look.

Im definitely not buying a new unit.

Really strange, not seen this before. How old is the car?

I would pursue this with Audi, it should not happen on a premium car of this price.

I have seen new headlights on eBay for 270 a piece

they come off very easily.ive done it.

In general the lights of the pre-facelift are a bad design, especially the way they are bracketed to the body of the car.

One of the reasons why they changed the lights in the facelift.

Really strange, not seen this before. How old is the car?

I would pursue this with Audi, it should not happen on a premium car of this price.

I have seen new headlights on eBay for 270 a piece

Believe me, it's amazing how many things have gone wrong with this 59 plate car. I am not happy with the build quality at all...in fact it's put me off buying another Audi and I've had them for 12 years. This one's been a money pit and still is!

I managed to get the headlight unit out this morning, took the clips off but the unit is properly sealed. My concern was breaking the glue deal, then having problems later. Should I buy some glue to stick it back together and if so what sort?

No, I only had the standard 3 year warranty. I did try to extend it when I bought the car, but was told I had to wait closer to the time. One thing led to another and I forgot about it.

I'm suffering the consequences now!

I took my lights apart recently, it's really easy just need a heat gun to warm the sealant. Do a search for j code mod, there are a few guides. If u get stuck send me a pm

I took my lights apart recently, it's really easy just need a heat gun to warm the sealant. Do a search for j code mod, there are a few guides. If u get stuck send me a pm
Great, thank you

ive had these headlights apart i actually was changing the lense.
i had 2 faulty lights with 2 different problems and the task was to make 1 working unit.
unclip clips, plenty of heat , start in one corner prise apart a little by little , dont pull apart all in one go, let the glue stretch and break...
i think i used tiger seal to glue back together..
good luck..

ive had these headlights apart i actually was changing the lense.
i had 2 faulty lights with 2 different problems and the task was to make 1 working unit.
unclip clips, plenty of heat , start in one corner prise apart a little by little , dont pull apart all in one go, let the glue stretch and break...
i think i used tiger seal to glue back together..
good luck..
Excellent, I just need to find the time now!