How old are you guys? S3 and A3 new owners?

DaveS3Turbo

Sepang Blue S3
Reaction score
Hi all just want to see how old you bunch of cool guys are?
Plus what car do you own with/without mods?
Meet-up soon?
I wish not to state my age until some of you guys reply because of a genuine reason which you may/maynot like!!

I own the new 2.0 A3 tdi----------------
1.Sypthony II with Bose system
2.Colour--> Brilliant Black
3.Leather/Alcantara--> Grey/light
4.Audi fitted body kits which looks really nice. I have a night shot but it doesn't give the car justice, so i will post daylight pics tomorrow so you guys considering it will have an idea in real life shots!
5.Armrest gets in the way but its ****** comfy on the motorway (M56/M6)
Thats it i think!!!
Heres a picture anyway.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Age doesn't matter, it is the attitude towards our cars that matters. As long as your reading material isn't Maxpower or Fast Car you'll be fine. There are a few meets up and down the country from time to time depending on where your situated. If you check out the UK meets forum you can check up on past and current runs. Strange camera angle on the last picure, looks like the wheel is falling off. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif

lol..i noticed that today at Tesco car park. It seems to twist when full lock is on. Seems weird do u reckon this is normal. Someone go and check it out on theirs plz, u got me worried!!! well my age is very yound indeed however no i don't read the boy racer magazines at all. I am quite grown up for my little 2 decimal age.

Im 24.

Im not an S3 owner yet, but will be after christmas, when insurance becomes a whole lot cheaper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

i currently drive what many would call a 'Max Power' style Ford Focus, Im getting a bit old for all this body kits business now though!! need something with a lot more class and pace /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

Exactly don't spoil a nice car.....Mine looks really mean and nice and nit biy racer style as you can tell. What do you think of the night shot..Please check your wheel...that on mine doesn't look right although it must be.

I'm 22, own a Audi S3 MY03

Chip,Exhaust,Porsche Brakes, Coilovers (recieving the brakes coilovers this week) and im well chuffed about it too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Love my car, its my little baby!!

Btw: lvoe the new A3, we saw them at the Motor Show here in Sydney, but they do not arrive till early next year for us! We are sooooo behind the times

Thankyou for your post. yes the S3 rocks as i can't wait for new RS3. Yes the new A3 is classy and looks sporty with bodykit, well thats my opinion anyway..pictures tomorrow in daylight.

yah me too and its full of useless tape holders... which tbh since its got a bose 6 cd in it is a little pointless.

31 btw mate, no real mods yet just AmD viper diverter valve.

Congrats on new Motor.
I have to agree with Khufu.
Age does not matter it is your attitude, as long as your not into the "Boy Racer STUFF" you'll be alright.
The armrest what armrest I thought they were part of house furniture.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

22 and just got my first S3, what a car!! was in a GT TDI golf before and this is as good if not better than I imagined it. Have got arm rest and does not seem to bother me, I had one in the Golf and I think its something you get used to, also you soon miss it once you have got use to it.

Not done any mods yet, just trying to get by DAB pioneer head unit in it at the mo but having trouble finding a facia adapter as I currently have the Sypthony II double dinn unit.

Lyrac - do you advise girls any different to blokes?

I find cockpits of cars uncomfortable as they must be designed with a guy's bodyshape in mind. Girls have longer legs, and shorter bodies (at the same height as a guy), and i find that if I get the seat far enough away from the pedals, then i can't reach the gear stick comfortably, and I have to sit almost forwards to reach the steering wheel without giving myself arm ache.

And EssThree I agree - when on the track, or driving hard, I tend to move slightly closer and definately most the seat back more upright.

[ QUOTE ]
audi girl said:
driving hard

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be your off-road overtaking skills then, as demonstrated at Buxton 2003. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

AL

[ QUOTE ]
Ess_Three said:
Good advice Lyrac..
For trackdays / competition:
1) I tend to pull the seat 1 or 2 notches close to the wheel - hence the seat closer.
2) Make the backrest more vertical - again as fatigue affects you you lose the ability to lever with your arms...even with powwer steering! Perhaps if you are super-fit this affects you less...but it get's me!

[/ QUOTE ]
And finally for a track day fit competition seat belts, tighten them right up hard and that will eleviate you having to HANG on to the steering wheel as you glide it form benb to bend. You have made yourself and integral part of the car and no longer do you have to hold the eteering wheel to brace yourself. BE GENTLE WITH IT and IT should not BITE YOU BACK!

"Audi Girl"
As you recline the seat your legs are pushed towards the pedals so pull the seat forward again and if necessary reduce the recline. Once sorted it's great!! does that help?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif

[ QUOTE ]
davidmann said:
Hi all just want to see how old you bunch of cool guys are?
Plus what car do you own with/without mods?
Meet-up soon?
I wish not to state my age until some of you guys reply because of a genuine reason which you may/maynot like!!

[/ QUOTE ]

You're 17....your profile says so, and as stated it's not your age that matters but you attitude.....which quite frankly mine stinks, so take no notice! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

I'm 23 with an A3 Turbo, and it seems I'd rather spend money on mods than eating....check out the profile.

Lots of meets happening all over the place, we've got one in Germany if you're up for it at the start of December /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Welcome to the boards.

P.S. hate the A3 armrest...my BMW one's is far far better...

[ QUOTE ]
AL B said:
[ QUOTE ]
audi girl said:
driving hard

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be your off-road overtaking skills then, as demonstrated at Buxton 2003. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

AL

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goofy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush2.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Ess_Three said:
Recently drove David R's mighty S4...first thing to do...get the armrest up out of the way. Better, but still manages to cause pain to the elbow (bangs into it) if you are enthusiastic with the gear lever.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wondered why the arm rest was dented and my gearbox no longer works /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
lyrac said:
And finally for a track day fit competition seat belts, tighten them right up hard and that will eleviate you having to HANG on to the steering wheel as you glide it form benb to bend.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now then Lyrac...there's a thing:

You suggest fitting competition seat belts for track driving.
Personally, having been there for many years, I would not now suggest fitting full harnesses to a car without a full cage (or at least a half cage) fitted, as in the event of a roll the full harness - if correctly tensioned up - can hold you in position in the seat whilst the roof caves in forcing your helmet downwards and crushing your spine.
Using a road seatbelt will allow the body to slide sidewards away from the caving roof in the event of such an accident.

Any thoughts on this?

Also with regard to full harness straps, there are two trains of thought there too:
1) Which considers it acceptable to affix the rearwards mounting straps of the hernesses directly to the seatbelt fixing points below the rear seat.
2) Which considers the lower rear mounting points to be dangerous and ensists either the upper mounting points on the 'C' pillar be used, or the straps pass over a harness bar / part of the rear cage level with the top of the rear suspension turrets, then down to the lower seatbelt mounting points.

The reasoning being that in the event of an accident the force required to restrain the human body must be dissipated - in the instance of option 1) the restraining force on the rearward harness straps will tend to force the body downwards into the seat and possibly cause spine dammage. Option 2) prevents this by ensuring the rearwards force is not a downwards force likely to cause spinal injury.

In years gone by I always used a 4 point harness for me, bolted directly to the lower rear mounting points, and a 3 point for the passenger, mounted in the same way...and no roll cage. My thought now would be that I was lucky not to have been involved in an accident.

These trains of thought have come to light fairly recently, as I discovered while recovering from a reasonably serious spinal injury caused by a motorcycle accident...so I'm a bit more understanding of the possible damage now!

[ QUOTE ]
David R said:
I wondered why the arm rest was dented and my gearbox no longer works /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Never mind the gearbox...
It's the brakes and suspension of that barge that require urgent attention! I was beginning to wonder if dampers were actually present!
*mumble*mumble*barge*floaty beast*mumble* ****** armrest*

I have some RS4 suspension to fit when time / inclination allow but i think the S4 wil always be somewhat of a barge due to its considerable mass.

Brakes? Short of Porsche reds i'm outa ideas there, a parachute perhaps??

Nice car, like to see it in the light. Take some more and post them up as I m intrigued by the bodykit.

ARMREST IS A MUST!ARMREST IS A MUST!ARMREST IS A MUST!ARMREST IS A MUST!ARMREST IS A MUST!ARMREST IS A MUST!ARMREST IS A MUST!ARMREST IS A MUST!ARMREST IS A MUST!

Though I have to agree with AS on both accounts.

I'm 26 and on my second S3 had the first when I was 21 and anyway whats wrong with Max Power /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
lyrac said:
"Audi Girl"
As you recline the seat your legs are pushed towards the pedals so pull the seat forward again and if necessary reduce the recline. Once sorted it's great!! does that help?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Kind of - I can get it far enough away to be comfortable on my legs, but end up having to sit bolt upright :s You'll have to show me at the christmas meet!

22 and had S3 for a year

Mods
viper valve
18" RS Alloys
Tints
Lowered
Revo Chip

Was 22 when i got my 2001 210 S3, and am now 25.

The car is Mineral Grey with Silver Leather & Sunroof.

After almost 3 years of ownership, is now has, OEM Cruise Control, Oettinger ECU, Oettinger Intake Pipe, Denso Iridium Plugs, Bilstein PSS9, K-mac, Porsche 993 Front Brakes, Rockford-Fosgate Amps & Sub & have tried several other things.

Nikos.

[ QUOTE ]
Ess_Three said:
Or lose control yourself!
You can turn ESP off if you feel the need...although to be honest, if you have to you are not driving the car 'correctly'. Once you adopt the driving style tha S3 needs, you will find the ESP doesn't bother you, and there's no need to rurn it off.

[/ QUOTE ]

i like havin the option of loosing control myself!!!!

can you explain what you mean about the rest, please?

[ QUOTE ]
acf8181 said:
i like havin the option of loosing control myself!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

..and I like the fact that there's a quick acting computer waiting to try and save my car, should I get it hopelessly wrong.
At the end of the day, I don't have the ability to apply power to two diagonal wheels whilst braking the opposite diagonal pair, just to bring the car straight...but the ESP can.

[ QUOTE ]

can you explain what you mean about the rest, please?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure,
At first most people find the ESP cuts in and spoils things. I came to the S3 from an Integra Type-R where it was the norm to grab the car by the scruff of the neck and throw it about, almost trying to de-stabilise it to get the rear to rotate.
On the S3, the ESP cuts in whan you do this.
If you return to basic principles of race car driving - slow in, fast out...and remain smooth, you'll find that the S3 starts to respond way better than expected.
Throw it about and the suspension starts to lack precision, the steering is lifeless and the car control fails...resorting in the ESP taking over to calm things down.

Do your braking smoothly, turn in smoothly and precisely whilst balancing the car between brake and throttle, throttle on hard but smoothly and let the Haldex controller work, and you should find the ESP doesn't both you at all. It doesn't affect the performance, nor does it interupt your fun...but it remains active for when you cross the line of 'in control' and enter the 'oh ****' out of control phase...at that point with no ESP you are a nasty accident looking for a suitable location. With ESP on, you have a half chance of avoiding the situation.

Now, ESP will interupt in situations of excess power to grip...so I still need to turn it off for the traffic lighr Grand Prix stuff / 1/4 mile stuff...especially with over 300 lb-ft fighting the tyres for grip.
But it goes straight back on when the tomfoolery is over.

Same if you want to 4 wheel drift out of a junction / round a roundabout - both can be done, but you have to deliberately de-stabilise the car and be brutal with the power. And the ESP has to be off.

But in normal driving - and this includes the infamous Scottish Highland runs - I keep it on, and it doesn't cut in under normal circumstances.
There are some drivers on these runs that turn it off..and they are no more / less quick anywhere....so that's their choice.

In fact, leaving it on and watching for the tell-tale flicker of the warning light gives you a warning that grip is not as good as you think, or that your driving is getting ragged - both should be treated as a warning to re-assess your actions...or we're straight back into the old 'imminent accident looking for suitable location' thing again.

As usual, this applies to me in my car...and not everyone will agree with my view.

I beleive that there is a difference in the ESP activation threshold for different cars of the same model and model year. For example, of the several S3s I have driven, ESP is much more easily provoked in some over others, especially noticable in the wet. Whereas a TT with APR chip I drove last week gave the impression that ESP didn't work at all until i pulled the handbrake mid corner, with this car I could get the rear out, wheels scrabbling out of roundabouts etc and it just went without ESP.

It may be due to suspention geometry, tyre wear / pressures, but there does SEEM to be a difference, whether or not this may be the case.

Agree with all the points about smooth driving (i seldom switch my ESP off, but then I beleive it takes even more stupidity in the S4 over the S3 to get it working) but I can empathise with people whos ESP cuts it really early as it can spoil the fun of the car.

I think those infamous Scottish runs may soon be over for the year - Bit of Snow up there Glen? Get a chance to play without the esp on?

David, Ess_Three, it might also be worth pointing out that ESP is much more of a nanny in a FWD car than it is in 4WD.
Anyone used to ESP in a FWD car may well get the wrong impression since understeer and loss of traction end up looking very similar to the ESP. Sure you've both done the keep it floored cornering in the courtesy car, watching it magically go round, ESP light flashing away. I er, wouldn't dream of such a thing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I asked a tech about the ESP threshold and he said the same as you David, it varies.