How often do you use Launch Control?

andyt99

Reaction score
I've had my RS3 a couple of years now and I think I've used it about 5 times, always in a demo to someone else. I just can't imagine using it in any other scenario really, especially as I doubt it does the car any good!

Probably used it 6 times in 9 months. I've used it once for a traffic light Grand Prix and the other times to show people. Feels bullet proof to me and I used LC at least 50 times in two years with my old Golf R that also had a tuning box.

Yeah, it is a bit brutal. I would not say I am mechanically sensitive but even I wince a bit at the thought of that torque buggering up the shafts.

Probably done it 8 times in 3 months. Most of those to show off to others. Once in a race and a couple of times just by myself as I felt naughty.

IF I ever came across a supercar or similar sports car at a traffic light with a dual carriageway in front of us then I would look at him, thumbs up, start the burble and go for it.

Reactions: jimojameso
I've Never launched my car and I've had it since the start of February,nor my S3 before that.
When it was in getting its service done I asked them if they could check to see how many times it had been done previously before my ownership,and on collection I was told Never.

Reactions: Evotion
Launched about 20 times on the trot at Rockingham! Doesn't seem to have done it any harm. I often set up for launch then just rev it as it sounds great!

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Bryant1998, seventeenapg, Evotion and 1 other person
There's a video on YouTube of a Porsche 911 Turbo doing something like 50 or 100 launches, immediately one after another, demonstrating how strong the transmission and launch control is.

For those who have never tried it, come on! It's awesome fun, get out there right now and try it!

Reactions: Adi7r and Evotion
Might take the RS to work tonight instead of the Ranger,that just so happens to carry all nessery important bits in case of a fault at work :blink:

Reactions: Terminator x
"not launching your car is the same as not having sex with your wife so she can be tight for the next person" :sunglasses:

Reactions: Bryant1998, CHEZ, Bishop187 and 9 others
Yea Yea heard that one before,cause i wasn't putting the miles on it at the time.
I've since been divorced and that comment just brought all the pain flooding back,SO cheers ChrisRS3 Lol :scared2:

And before any body asks, I "Launched" her :salute:

Reactions: Bishop187 and FBF01
Launched about 20 times on the trot at Rockingham! Doesn't seem to have done it any harm. I often set up for launch then just rev it as it sounds great!

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk
Old thread but someone on YouTube claims the car will refuse to launch after 200 launches. Then will need gearbox servicing. Is that true or false?

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

Old thread but someone on YouTube claims the car will refuse to launch after 200 launches. Then will need gearbox servicing. Is that true or false?

The rumour is 200 launches then it won't launch again unless reset by Audi (vcds can't do it apparently) Someone on here did put up a screenshot of the LC screen. It can be bypassed / reset as I have seen another screenshot with the LC counter over 1000!

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: RS03_SEN
I’ve done it 4 times in 5 months, was just seeing if I could get under the stated 0-60, all in the wet though so just waiting now for a nice dry day, the right road and a low tank of fuel to see it at its best.

Had my car from new (Oct 2017). Never launched, but taking it to Santa Pod post Stage 1 tune this year :rock:

Reactions: RS03_SEN
Damn some of you are princesses ;) I launch it maybe 3-4 times a week? Usually with mates in the car or when I've got someone who wants to give me a go on the lights.
Even my mk7r which was stage 2 as well I probably launched over 200 times for the years I owned it and the car was bulletproof.

Especially if your car is on lease and you change into new cars every few years then why wouldn't you be launching it every so often?? If anything goes wrong it's covered by warranty!!

Reactions: RS03_SEN, Bishop187 and 123Quattro
Apart from the "fun" factor do you really need to launch against "normal" cars though when you can just plant your right foot and waste >95% of the cars on the road and probably a few percent of bikes as well?

Reactions: Slowracer, DW81 and Terminator x
I tried it last night, and when planting the accelerator with foot on the brake the car tried to lurch. My mechanical sympathy caused me to bail and try again, this time the clutch was disengaged and revs held.

Sadly with the missus in the car, my foot stayed on the stop pedal.

Damn some of you are princesses ;) I launch it maybe 3-4 times a week? Usually with mates in the car or when I've got someone who wants to give me a go on the lights.
Even my mk7r which was stage 2 as well I probably launched over 200 times for the years I owned it and the car was bulletproof.

Especially if your car is on lease and you change into new cars every few years then why wouldn't you be launching it every so often?? If anything goes wrong it's covered by warranty!!
I was looking on the piston heads forum and most people on there were well against doing it.
I think quite a few people own these type of cars just so they can talk crap about torque figures but they barely take their cars past 30mph.

Reactions: 5pot4banger
I tried it last night, and when planting the accelerator with foot on the brake the car tried to lurch. My mechanical sympathy caused me to bail and try again, this time the clutch was disengaged and revs held.

Sadly with the missus in the car, my foot stayed on the stop pedal.
Do it man! The gear changes are mental when you use launch control. Car just seems to take off with every change.

Reactions: Bishop187
Launched mine for the first time in a while the other day when I gapped my mates GT3 :whistle2:

Off for a bit more work at JBS end of the month too, so hoping to get that 0-60 down a tad more.

Reactions: Bryant1998
Launched mine for the first time in a while the other day when I gapped my mates GT3 :whistle2:

Off for a bit more work at JBS end of the month too, so hoping to get that 0-60 down a tad more.
What you had done up to now?

What you had done up to now?

Just a Stage 1 mate. I was thinking about going stage 2 but its just too much grief for now. If I decide to keep it then I may go all the way, but realistically its already a prison sentence machine and you're out of road before you know it.

Just a Stage 1 mate. I was thinking about going stage 2 but its just too much grief for now. If I decide to keep it then I may go all the way, but realistically its already a prison sentence machine and you're out of road before you know it.
Same with mine. Mines PFL though. Would love 500bhp but 80bhp or whatever for £4000+ just sounds ridiculous to me. Plus I've already got 4 points for speeding.

Reactions: 5pot4banger
Ouch! Thankfully I work from home, so it doesn't get out too much, therefore I don't get the opportunity to stretch its legs often. That is the downside to a PFL i'm afraid, my FL seems to lay the power so nicely. I'm going to add a Forge inlet and intake elbow as see how it responds, i'm told the map will need a little tweak and they've been experiencing some overboosting without doing it. It's 470hp as it stands, so with the map tweak it may see 10hp, maybe. It'll be interesting none the less.