How often do you get to drive your car "hard"?

What's the comparison like between magride and non-mag ride?

Is it that non-magride is as stiff as being in 'dynamic' with magride all the time?
Or as soft as comfort all the time?

Or not really a direct comparison available?

I have only thrashed my car once and that was enough for me, the S3 suspension can't handle the power it's a A3 with a more powerful engine, very unstable car as well on some surfaces ie undulating surfaces hit something like this at speed it bounce ye off the road.... Straight-line driving that's what it's made for nowt else
I am with you on this, now that I'm over the excitement of the power, noise, gadgets etc I'm left a little disappointed with the S3, the grip is certainly there but the ride is so wallowy, it leans far too much.

I didn't opt for mag ride, regretting this massively now.

I'm yet to try it out round sound bends in anger to see how it handles, magnetic rode does seem nice and firm in dynamic!

Try the good old slightly slower in and progressive acceleration out, the car doesn't respond well to having to react too quickly and prefers the gentleman express route than the grab it by the scruff approach (as standard you have the wrong car if you want the ultimate rag it for a laugh machine). Things like understeer can be minimised by kinda letting the car know what is coming by not asking too much of the front too quickly............once the weight moves try not to move it again otherwise it can and will unsteady the car (exaggerated by a keen turbo coming on boost). Smoothness is the key to speed but doesn't always give you the satisfaction of having pushed the car hard.

Yep it bounces which is obviously suspension but it can carry pretty good speed without bounce in three figure corners but does wander a bit under acceleration, not ideal but plenty quick enough for most and for me is quite polite in letting you know and makes it very easy to tell when it isn't overly happy. Sometimes a softer set up is easier to push as you can more easily tell what the car is up rather than getting close to the limit without telling you along the way.

Like a lot of fast Audis the road surface makes a big difference to how the cars behave. ALWAYS remember the biggest improvement in time will come from you, not suspension setup, not the tyres but you telling the car what and how to do it.

Bottom line, go and have a play and try not to bend it.

Reactions: Benji34, AndrewB, batch and 2 others
Try the good old slightly slower in and progressive acceleration out, the car doesn't respond well to having to react too quickly and prefers the gentleman express route than the grab it by the scruff approach (as standard you have the wrong car if you want the ultimate rag it for a laugh machine). Things like understeer can be minimised by kinda letting the car know what is coming by not asking too much of the front too quickly............once the weight moves try not to move it again otherwise it can and will unsteady the car (exaggerated by a keen turbo coming on boost). Smoothness is the key to speed but doesn't always give you the satisfaction of having pushed the car hard.

Yep it bounces which is obviously suspension but it can carry pretty good speed without bounce in three figure corners but does wander a bit under acceleration, not ideal but plenty quick enough for most and for me is quite polite in letting you know and makes it very easy to tell when it isn't overly happy. Sometimes a softer set up is easier to push as you can more easily tell what the car is up rather than getting close to the limit without telling you along the way.

Like a lot of fast Audis the road surface makes a big difference to how the cars behave. ALWAYS remember the biggest improvement in time will come from you, not suspension setup, not the tyres but you telling the car what and how to do it.

Bottom line, go and have a play and try not to bend it.

Pretty spot on there @msdmjb ......I think a lot of people when driving hard tend to be more agressive rather than relaxed, and expect the car to react as quickly (agressively) as they are at the time. I sometimes get that way and realise I'm the problem not the car. I think I have found most of the foibles in this cars handling and it always behaves better (more predictably) when you ease it in. That being said, I also think the car can be improved greatly in its abilities with after market mods...but that's not to everyone's taste/budget/interest

Haha, last few posts made me chuckle. It's much more planted than my old ST... but I would imagine the mag-ride and bigger wheels do help matters. I find the body control brilliant, and it's quite good at telling me whats going on at each end. Often find myself going into corners quicker than I think I'm going, having to trail brake and get the back moving abit is quite good fun - no power over steer to go with it as Quattro puts a stop to all that. The steering is the biggest disappointment, it lacks almost any feel. You really do have to trust that there is grip... I've yet to get it past the level of adhesion as it'd be way to fast for a public road and would need a wide open track to work out where the grip ends. Just have to use your eyes, ears and bum for most of it.

Reactions: Joe4842, batch and Jassyo06
No l ain't mate a stock S3 is pretty unstable on a B Road at speeds over 70 mph combine the floatyness with lack of steering feel it can get a bit scary, the car doesn't instill much confidence in the driver at all, just my opinion which a lot previous/ex members would agree with

Does the tweaked ESC in the facelift and more rear bias quattro solve this?

Only on about 700 miles but hit it quite hard on traffic light grand prix. Cant resist! :racer:

Reactions: Mark_86
Does the tweaked ESC in the facelift and more rear bias quattro solve this?

You really have to drive like a loon to get the backside to play. Literally, I've only managed it a few times by braking hard into a corner to get the weight transfer, or full bore traction control off exits from junctions. Not really public road behaviour... fun mind. lol :racer:

Reactions: keenu
Never really but my wife likes to drive it 'hard' into kerbs!!!! Less than 2k miles and 2 wheels done :(

Only on about 700 miles but hit it quite hard on traffic light grand prix. Cant resist! :racer:

I did this with LC the other day, great fun. But, I did find I was sat there on the limiter a bit too long, revving my nuts off and waiting for the lights to go green... you feel a plonker for a few seconds, but all is quickly forgiven. :yahoo:

Reactions: Joe4842 and keenu
Never really but my wife likes to drive it 'hard' into kerbs!!!! Less than 2k miles and 2 wheels done :(
I feel this pain, just had one of mine refurbed... must get some images up soon to show the repair job. It's not too bad considering they are the diamond cut 19" jobbies!

Reactions: Richierich37
No....both have nothing to do with the way the car handles

Well, kinda does have 'something' to do with it. I'd imagine you would be very hard pressed to tell the difference between a same spec PFL & FL model... The PFL I drove didn't seem to turn is as well as mine does, but that could just be tyres.

Well, kinda does have 'something' to do with it. I'd imagine you would be very hard pressed to tell the difference between a same spec PFL & FL model... The PFL I drove didn't seem to turn is as well as mine does, but that could just be tyres.
I have only driven a facelift A3 saloon it felt more planted than my S3,as did the 2 RS3's l have driven this could be down to them having a wider track and wider tyres plus magride..... But they all have the same steering feel or the lack of it should l say lol

Reactions: Joe4842
I have only driven a facelift A3 saloon it felt more planted than my S3,as did the 2 RS3's l have driven this could be down to them having a wider track and wider tyres plus magride..... But they all have the same steering feel or the lack of it should l say lol

Sorry, post should have said 'turn in'... initial grip seemed higher on the front end for FL cars. Anyway, there are multiple threads dedicated to the PFL vs FL war... lol

Reactions: Joe4842 and Jassyo06
The back end comes out with ESC OFF on stage 2.:superman:

Reactions: Mark_86
I agree with those characteristics - and that horrendous bounce - but it's not as bad as has been stated. In fact got no problems with the steering at all, it's just the bouncing that freaked me out!
I even managed a few bounces on a TTRS....roadster no magride..... But it wasn't as severe as in my car, again on a undulating Road surface,point being magnetic dampers react far far quicker than mechanical ones, hence they hide it far better

I even managed a few bounces on a TTRS....roadster no magride..... But it wasn't as severe as in my car, again on a undulating Road surface,point being magnetic dampers react far far quicker than mechanical ones, hence they hide it far better
I went out in @jungle650 s on Sunday, he has Magride and I'll definitely be on that next time!

Reactions: -Ju-, azibux1, Jassyo06 and 2 others
All this talk of bouncing, uneasy handling and lack of steering feel is exactly why I traded my S3 in for another Fiesta ST back in November and haven't regretted it in the slightest.

The Audi was a phenomenal car, just wasn't for me.
My ST running stage 2 software definitely feels much better to chuck around some back roads!

Wheelspin almighty how ever :p

My S3 is actually still up for sale at the dealership

Reactions: Jassyo06
On a daily basis, I will have at least one nice spurt of kickdown, keeps me healthy and mentally sound :D

I live in London and it does not help every boy racer wants to have a go at racing me...

Reactions: Joe4842
Just back in from a rather spirited drive around the countryside, went for a different route from normal and ended up going Portlethen to Elgin then down over the Lecht to Ballater and back home via Lairhillock. A lovely day at the wheel. Made me realise just how much i miss the mag ride though :( 180 miles and computer says 31mpg, not bad at all.

Si :)

Reactions: Tom.H